Dog, camping in CA before trailer is sent over to US - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-28-2018, 08:30 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: New Jersey, New Jersey
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 41
Dog, camping in CA before trailer is sent over to US

Hello...

A couple of questions for you connoisseurs:

1) Dog: What is required for our dog to cross over to Canada where we will be getting the orientation when we pick up our trailer. Any experiences with dogs in Canada's RV parks you can share?

2) We wanted to stay one night in CA, near the Escape factory (for one night) to ensure all was working ok before trailer is sent over to US--is this possible?

Thank you!

Warren and Maria
__________________

Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 4,896
1. In reality, probably nothing. A huge percentage of time that we cross, despite our little one expressing herself that she'd like to bite the border guard , they don't ask anything about our dog.

But, obviously, we are prepared with her papers if we're asked if she's had her shots.

2. Many folks do this. Since you don't take possession of the trailer until after it's crossed the border most stay in places within a relatively short drive away. There isn't any restriction for you, you could take delivery at Dave's Burgers and come right back into Canada if you find a place that you'd rather stay at.

Ron
__________________

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,220
Confirmation of a rabies shot within the last 3 years is the only thing needed, but we too have never been asked. They usually have a biscuit for the dog too.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:43 PM   #4
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 8,536
Dogs crossing the border? If you don't have the needed docs, just be prepared for Murphy's Law to bite . I think the biggest 'deal' is the type/kind of dog food you can cross with at the border...
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,674
I always have a letter from my vet showing which shots have been given and that they are current. I normally get one every year. As far as staying near by, I'd suggest once they import the trailer you can camp anywhere, I believe there is a KOA near Sumas where it crosses the border. You can also stay at Best Western, next door to Escape with your dog before hand, they have pet rooms available. That was where we stayed for 3 nights before our pickup, really nice place an you can walk over to Escape. Also with the exchange rate and Escape discount, very affordable.
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:55 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Colorado, Colorado
Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
Posts: 151
To clarify Ron's comment above: the trailer MUST cross into the US the same day as orientation/pick up. ETI will have already filed the importation documentation dated for that day. ETI's professional driver will use the commercial border lanes to cross and legally import your trailer to the US. You do not have the option to take possession in Canada and stay in Canada, as a US buyer.

So, you take physical possession in the US. You are then welcome to cross back into Canada, towing your trailer, to camp for a day or how ever long.

Many new owners camp in the US, near the border, but do not go back into Canada unless necessary. Linden, WA is one such location.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:03 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Olympia wa, Washington
Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Posts: 1,917
you need a proof of rabies shot cert signed by a vet (rabies tag will not work). I've been asked but only once in 10 years. i usually bring canned dog food and a small unopened bag of dog food knowing that there might be issues with dog food crossing but never had any issues with it. Most people just stay in WA after picking up the trailer since its already in WA. you are still very close to Escape if something goes wrong.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
What is required for our dog to cross over to Canada where we will be getting the orientation when we pick up our trailer.
A couple of relevant web pages from the Government of Canada:
Importing or Travelling with Domestic Dogs
Import Policies - Pet Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
Any experiences with dogs in Canada's RV parks you can share?
Parks typically require that a dog be on a leash, and not left unattended anywhere (even your own trailer). Dogs are typically allowed in campgrounds and on trails; however, they are not permitted in a few areas, including some trails, even on a leash (typically because they can cause problems for wildlife, or for other people on the trail). Since detailed rules vary between parks, it makes sense to check the websites for the specific parks of interest.

On traveller reports based on their personal experience including a visit to Banff that
Quote:
... the policies regarding pets in the Canadian National Parks are significantly more welcoming than those we typically find in the US.
I have no idea if this is valid or not. We didn't have any issues travelling with our dog, but didn't spend much time in national parks with him, and didn't take him to the U.S.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:38 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Dogs are typically allowed in campgrounds and on trails; however, they are not permitted in a few areas, including some trails, even on a leash
Some people's idea of a leash is one that spools out to 20' and retracts by pushing a button. I suspect that is why the rule is no dogs, not even on a leash.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:50 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Some people's idea of a leash is one that spools out to 20' and retracts by pushing a button. I suspect that is why the rule is no dogs, not even on a leash.
Truth!

I have been starting to see more signs for 3m(6') leashes only. I still think that is too long. In my opinion, when walking with a dog in a public area it should be at heel, which is literally right beside you. They should only be allowed to run around when off leash in an appropriate area.

It really bugs me when I get in trouble for not using a leash with Jasper, yet he is fully under control at heel, yet it is okay for someone else nearby with an untrained dog running all over the place on a 20-30' retractable leash.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:45 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: New Jersey, New Jersey
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 41
Thanks Ron... what about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
1. In reality, probably nothing. A huge percentage of time that we cross, despite our little one expressing herself that she'd like to bite the border guard , they don't ask anything about our dog.

But, obviously, we are prepared with her papers if we're asked if she's had her shots.

2. Many folks do this. Since you don't take possession of the trailer until after it's crossed the border most stay in places within a relatively short drive away. There isn't any restriction for you, you could take delivery at Dave's Burgers and come right back into Canada if you find a place that you'd rather stay at.

Ron
Thanks Ron... is there a cost to go back and forth into Canada with the trailer; once we have taken possession of it... ? Maria
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: New Jersey, New Jersey
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 41
Very useful information... thank you all... we have a 6-pound modified Yorkie who does not bark... he simply does not which is a bit different, but we love that he does not...

Glad to know Canada is a bit relaxed about our four-legged friends; however, we will bring our paperwork with us just to be on the safe side...

Happy trails... Warren and Maria
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Whidbey Island, Washington
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Posts: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
you need a proof of rabies shot cert signed by a vet (rabies tag will not work). I've been asked but only once in 10 years. i usually bring canned dog food and a small unopened bag of dog food knowing that there might be issues with dog food crossing but never had any issues with it. Most people just stay in WA after picking up the trailer since its already in WA. you are still very close to Escape if something goes wrong.
I asked a Canadian agent a few years ago and was told rabies tag was fine, titers are not. And my niece who works for DHS said they are cracking down on rabies so be prepared to be asked. Raw dog food is a problem and certain other kinds may be, my niece said just keep it in the original bag and it should be fine.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:41 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Whidbey Island, Washington
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Posts: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
Thanks Ron... is there a cost to go back and forth into Canada with the trailer; once we have taken possession of it... ? Maria
No cost. Possibly a line but usually not much at Sumas.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:59 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
advenas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Truth!

I have been starting to see more signs for 3m(6') leashes only. I still think that is too long. In my opinion, when walking with a dog in a public area it should be at heel, which is literally right beside you. They should only be allowed to run around when off leash in an appropriate area.

It really bugs me when I get in trouble for not using a leash with Jasper, yet he is fully under control at heel, yet it is okay for someone else nearby with an untrained dog running all over the place on a 20-30' retractable leash.
Couldn't agree more. And in more places the 6' leash rule is showing up and retractable leashes are considered the same as off-leash with a corresponding fine. Which I'm happy to see.
__________________
Rick
advenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:03 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Raw dog food is a problem and certain other kinds may be, my niece said just keep it in the original bag and it should be fine.
Original, UNOPENED bag.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:46 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Olympia wa, Washington
Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Posts: 1,917
My friends couldn't get across the border with only rabies tags they were told they needed a signed certificate. Not worth the hassle I keep a copy in my truck just in case.....
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:48 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,782
Always pays to be informed.
You want to bring your pet back into the US.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:29 PM   #19
Member
 
trlqwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 44
Dogs and traveling back and forth to Canada

We always go to our vet and have them examine our dog and write us a International Health certificate plus we have a copy of our dogs current rabies certificate when traveling. No, the international health certificate is not require but in reading the laws it is my understanding that it CAN be asked for if the border person thinks something might be wrong with the dog. We spend the $100 each time we cross because the certificate is only good for a very short time ( like 10 days), just to make sure our dog doesn't end up in quarantine. It feels like the biggest rip off ever to pay that fee a few times a year because we travel to Canada to visit friends several times a year, but we do it because we couldn't stand it if they took our dog and put her in quarantine for several weeks --- she is family. We look at it like an insurance policy and we have only been asked to see it one time in the last 10 years of going back and forth to Canada.
trlqwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:39 PM   #20
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,674
The first time I asked for a letter, I received the Int'l health certificate and it cost me $60/dog. Then I learned to ask for a letter showing their shots are current and up to date, it was free and I have used it since 2012. I believe the Int'l letter is required for airline and overseas trips, but the Canadian officials have accepted my letter, signed by the vet (electronic signature done by the office personnel) that is within the year of travel.
__________________

__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×