Drive to Alaska after picking up? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #11

Trailer: I want a 15B
I've read some of your blog, and it sounds just like what I want to do - after Alaska, which is the final state on my bucket list. Want to tick off all of Canada, too - and have to see Utah. So the east coast won't be seeing me for a while after accepting the delivery wherever it happens.

As soon as I sell the vacation house, I'm going to order my 15B. That's the first decision, though I haven't seen any in person.

blond1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #12

Well, I thought I'd posted a reply. Hi (again) Jon. I've read some of your travel blog, and that's just what I want to do. Alaska is the last of the states on my bucket list, so it's a must-do, and all of western Canada is high on the list, too. Then through Utah via Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas, having fallen in love with those states two years ago when I drove to the west coast and then came back to Norfolk, VA. Really looking forward to heading out again!

Old 12-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape
I bought a trailer in BC and imported it to the US without a problem. I would suggest that you find out if you can get a license plate from your home state to put on the new trailer. That eliminates potential problems crossing international, provincial, and state boundaries. BC, for instance, wants to see a plate even if it is a temp plate purchased there. I don't know about Yukon or Alaska. I think it would be simplest to have a plate, pick up the camper in US, then continue with your great trip.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #14

Thanks Viajante - I hope Virginia will issue a license pre-pick up so that I can just go without driving all the way back. I suppose with the VIN and a bill of sale, I can register it and get a tag, but too soon to start inquiries.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by blond1 View Post
I was looking at a VW Jetta Wagen TDI (Diesel). But I can't find any towing info - probably would nullify the warranty or something, but I believe it would work with all the torque it generates.
That's a common but controversial discussion: a vehicle has more than enough power (or torque) to tow, but for whatever reason is not rated for significant towing (or any at all). The VW diesels are a particularly popular target of this topic. Potential lacking features (of any such vehicle) include engine cooling, transmission cooling, transmission (or clutch) strength, structural strength, rear suspension capacity, hitch availability...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:23 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Hey ,

Check animal laws in Canada before going across with any animal. I have done it with my dogs but only when I am in my vehicle registered in Maine and have all the medical certs etc with me.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #17

Thanks, Cypher, I've gone to the CA government site and found out the regs, and they're not too bad. Even the bird is welcome with proper papers. The big headache seems to be traveling to certain US states with the bird, os I'll have to make sure all is in order before taking off.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 17B
Are you planning all of this for 2014?

If so, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you ought to check the Escape production schedule regarding 15-footers. There is one available date, August 25, and a note saying this will be the last available date for 15' trailers in 2014.

I'm guessing they are taking those dates and reallocating them to the more popular sizes.
Canadark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #19

Thanks Canadark - I checked - since the earliest would be August, I believe a 2015 pick up would be reasonable. I still have to sell a house, figure out what tow vehicle I'd need, and get it rigged. Since I want a small car to go with the small trailer, I plan to go up to Can-Am RV to get it outfitted with a tow package.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by blond1 View Post
Since I want a small car to go with the small trailer, I plan to go up to Can-Am RV to get it outfitted with a tow package.
To tow a 15'? Can-Am specializes in reinforced hitch structures and weight-distributing hitch (WDH) installations, for people towing excessive trailer weight with their vehicle. Since you're choosing the vehicle and the trailer, I don't see a need to get into a situation requiring any custom work, or any WD equipment. My suggestion is to get a suitable tug instead... and by that I do not mean a truck or big SUV.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, cats, tow vehicle