Drive to Alaska after picking up? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #21

Trailer: I want a 15B
Maybe I'm being overcautious - but I'm looking at a Jetta Sportswagen TDI, which isn't even rated for towing (in the US). Figured Can-Am could do some work to make the tow safer.
blond1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Why not look for a vehicle that is rated for towing? I too am skeptical of Can-Am's 'solutions' to allow using vehicles that are not intended for towing.
Put the money into the vehicle instead of the 'fix'.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #23

I've looked at the ratings for the Jetta in Europe - same car - and it has a tow rating for 1400 kilos. I think it's not rated in the US for legal reasons (CYA).

I'm still looking, and am open to suggestions, since I have plenty of time to decide, but that's where I'm leaning right now.

But up until last week, I was also leaning toward a Casita, so I can change my mind.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Over on FGRV you can find interminable discussions about European tow ratings and how vehicles that appear the same in Europe and here are not the same.
You will also find hundreds of posts pro and con Can-Am and their 'solutions'.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by blond1 View Post

But up until last week, I was also leaning toward a Casita, so I can change my mind.
I too looked at Casitas but, as a rule, they are heavier than equivalent Escapes. There is a thread on real world weights of FG trailers.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #26

Thanks Tim and Julie. Weight was the big consideration, but aesthetically and practically, the modifications that were offered were what sold me on the Escape.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I've looked at the ratings for the Jetta in Europe - same car - and it has a tow rating for 1400 kilos.
Yes... 1400 kg (3080 lb), probably with about 100 kg (220 lb) of hitch weight, at no more than 100 km/h (62 mph) using a hitch designed for the vehicle and tested to Euro government standards. Just buy a European caravan suited to very low hitch weight and equipped with shock absorbers and an anti-sway coupler, and your're set. Without the right equipment (but still with low enough hitch weight) you're good for only 80 km/h (50 mph). As mentioned earlier, this has been extensively discussed in other forums.

Nothing Can-Am might do will address the differences between that Euro caravan and an Escape; they don't even use VW's approved hitch mounting points.

Quote:
I think it's not rated in the US for legal reasons (CYA).
Volkswagen has no issue with U.S. regulations or being sued - they offer the Touareg with 3500 kg (7700 lb) towing capacity. I'm sure a Jetta can tow, but I'm not second-guessing VW, and Can-Am certainly isn't qualified to do so.

The lack of suitably rated tow vehicles with high fuel economy is frustrating, but I don't think a hitch installation company is the fix... just my opinion.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #28

I think I've found my tow. A Nissan Xterra 4x4 rated to tow 5000 lbs. with factory-installed towing package. And the price is right, too!
Old 12-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Can I go with you……. sounds like a wonderful trip.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #30

I am soooo looking forward to it! Probably more than a year off, looking at the production schedule for 15s. House doesn't go on the market until March, so no movement until then. Meanwhile, I'm doing research and dreamin'.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #31

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Is the road surface from AB/BC to and across AK paved the whole way these days?

I'd love to take this trip but I won't be towing my 19 on multiday stretches of gravel. Even the rental car agreements generally forbade those sorts of trips with good reason.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #32

I've bought a Mile Post, which describes the road conditions pretty well all the way up. It includes camp grounds, filling stations - even Wal-Marts. With the purchase, I even have access to their website, which is updated now and then. I had planned to go up off-season (March?) before flies and other tourists invaded, and it seemed reasonable. But I just did a once-over, so there may be more gravel than I understood.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There are tons of information to be found on the WWW travel trailer forums about making this trip. Everything from folks with truck campers to towing massive 5th wheels. I'd REALLY educate myself (and join a caravan) before I made a trip of this type on my own YMMV. I remember reading one thread that said, take extra tires (not mounted), because if you shred a tire... you may find yourself stranded while waiting for UPS/FedEx to deliver a tire so you can move along... there's lots of stories of this type to be read...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #34

Hi Donna - Yeah, I've kinda been reconsidering Alaska as a first trip. I might just do the shakedown on the way back to Virginia to pick up the animals. By then, I'll be more comfortable towing, and will be ready to handle more difficult trails.

Tags
alaska, cats, tow vehicle