Drive to Alaska after picking up? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Old 12-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #31
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Is the road surface from AB/BC to and across AK paved the whole way these days?

I'd love to take this trip but I won't be towing my 19 on multiday stretches of gravel. Even the rental car agreements generally forbade those sorts of trips with good reason.

Burloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #32
Trailer: I want a 15B
I've bought a Mile Post, which describes the road conditions pretty well all the way up. It includes camp grounds, filling stations - even Wal-Marts. With the purchase, I even have access to their website, which is updated now and then. I had planned to go up off-season (March?) before flies and other tourists invaded, and it seemed reasonable. But I just did a once-over, so there may be more gravel than I understood.

blond1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #33
Site Team
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There are tons of information to be found on the WWW travel trailer forums about making this trip. Everything from folks with truck campers to towing massive 5th wheels. I'd REALLY educate myself (and join a caravan) before I made a trip of this type on my own YMMV. I remember reading one thread that said, take extra tires (not mounted), because if you shred a tire... you may find yourself stranded while waiting for UPS/FedEx to deliver a tire so you can move along... there's lots of stories of this type to be read...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #34
Trailer: I want a 15B
Hi Donna - Yeah, I've kinda been reconsidering Alaska as a first trip. I might just do the shakedown on the way back to Virginia to pick up the animals. By then, I'll be more comfortable towing, and will be ready to handle more difficult trails.

blond1 is offline   Reply With Quote

alaska, cats, tow vehicle