Escape Preregistration Not Possible In Texas? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2015, 12:46 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I took delivery of my 17 in Chilliwack, brought it into the US in Port Angeles, and drove it through Washington, Oregon and some of Northern California with no plates or temporary form at all. We stopped at a small DMV in Mt. Shasta, California, and in 20 minutes I'd paid the fees, had the VIN verified, and was handed the metal plates.

This time with the 19, I had it delivered to my driveway. Went into the local DMV (without trailer), paid all the fees, and was told to bring it in later for VIN verification and to pick up title and plates. When I did that later on I spent three hours at the DMV. The first hour was waiting for someone to come out to verify VIN. The next two hours was arguing with some clodhopper about the proper "entry paperwork" and "bill of sale", both of which were ostensibly "no good". He copied every document I had, said it had to be sent to Sacramento as "suspense", gave me a 3 month temporary tag, and wished me a nice day. Five weeks later I got the California title in the mail, and the following day the plates in the mail. I am fortunate that I did not finance the thing, that extra lien business REALLY would have complicated matters.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Twice, while living in Utah I bought non-operable vehicles that I wanted titled before bringing them back into the state. Utah had a form to verify the VIN and any law enforcement officer could sign it off. I used a local Montana city police once and a local S. Dakota city cop the second time. Also in California I had a VIN verified by a local officer that happened to be a friend of mine. Do you suppose a Mounty could sign the form or a Chilliwack city officer? They may only look for a signature and a title.
Jack
Last year we were able to pre-register our Escape in Utah with help from ETI. It seems the Utah VIN verification can be done either by a dealer or most any peace officer, even if they are out of the country. I sent the URL for the Utah form to Tammy, and she faxed the completed form to our local DMV.

-Dave
Old 01-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #23

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
In WA i just brought in the paperwork-no trailer- no VIN varification- they just wanted a lot of money. B
ut mine was used not a brand new trailer so it might not be the same with a new trailer
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I am continually amazed (but not really) at how much effort it is in some places to do such a simple thing as register a trailer. In Alberta it is fairly easy, bring your bill of sale in and pay the cash, takes about 5 min and you are out of there. Plus, your trailer registration and plates are valid as long as you own the trailer, with no additional annual fees.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #25

Trailer: none
Dealing with my DMV in Virginia was much easier, and required fewer forms, than dealing with Essex Credit. I was in/out of the DMV in about 30 minutes (a record) while spending much more time faxing/snail mailing forms/documents to Essex.
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 21ft Escape
Ok back to Texas, Harris County(Houston). We could not even get a temp tag to come back to Texas. As soon as we crossed the texas border we had to have Escape weighed. Then to Camping World for an inspection. then to downtown Houston on a Monday morning between 9 & 9:30(only day and time they are open). an officer looked at our trailer VIN and paperwork VIN# .
Then we could go get tags!. Took about a month to get all this stuff done. We had no tags or temp coming from Canada. I think we didn't get stopped because of the Canadian flag on the Back!! We even came through border patrol in Texas from New Mexico and no one even asked for paperwork. Feel your pain. Not all Texas counties are the same!

Robbie
trailseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:52 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 17B
When we bought our trailer we could not get temp tags from Idaho unless we had a VIN verification form. Unfortunately Washington DMV or Washington State Police will not sign a VIN verification form for someone from out of state. So we bought a three day temp plate from Washington and stuck it in the back window without a date for the week or so we were on the road. No one pulled us over or seemed to care.
smilycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:58 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Ugh. I appreciate all the feedback but I don't like the answers. Can you alter reality please and tell me a happy story about the wonderful Texas DMV?
Old 01-23-2015, 08:33 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Sorry, but I cannot be much help even though I am here in Texas. We are paying cash and should avoid this issue.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:47 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Man, and I thought Oregon DMV was wicked. Honestly, in Oregon nothing moves/sold without a title and current registration/license plates. If you doubt it, just drive through a small town or someplace along the beach... places that the city coffers grow with tickets.

But, I registered/titled/licensed Ten Forward in 11 minutes FLAT at a local DMV office (before pick up) just with the paperwork supplied from ETI.

You have my sympathy, truly.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:09 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
You could always register it in Montana. There are lots of ads in the back of Trailer Life magazine for lawyers that will set you up a company specifically to own and register your TT or RV. They're designed to beat the sales tax, but they do provide an alternative if your state is too crazy.

I was looking at them just in case Connecticut made it difficult to register thing before the pickup, DMV took the paperwork from Tammy, a big check from me, and I got the plates. Fortunately there was no VIN verification on a new trailer coming from a dealer.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:12 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Sorry, but I cannot be much help even though I am here in Texas. We are paying cash and should avoid this issue.
Paying cash won't avoid it. The issue is registration and title in Texas, not financing. The finance company informed me of the requirement.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
My finance company wants a "VTR 68A" form completed for our new trailer. I didn't even know what that was. Apparently it is an application for a VIN registration for an imported vehicle in Texas. Thing is, it is only completed by a law enforcement officer in person. That would mean I'd have to tow the trailer to the Police Department in San Antonio, pay for them to inspect it and provide the form, then take that form to the tax office along with the application for title before I could get tags! Color me confused.
Maybe time to join the Elks Lodge
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:27 PM   #34

Seriously? That means I will have to go though the same thing you are going through? Well, now that's a bummer. I only ask that I be able to benefit from your unfortunate circumstance of being the guinea pig this time.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:31 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Seriously? That means I will have to go though the same thing you are going through? Well, now that's a bummer. I only ask that I be able to benefit from your unfortunate circumstance of being the guinea pig this time.
Dunno. Maybe the folks down on 12th street in Bandera aren't as strict about it as in Bexar county? You may just luck out. Its supposed to be some statewide requirement however, for any imported vehicle. Their justification is that they want to make sure its not stolen. I call BS.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:32 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I suspect that if you spoke to a different clerk at a different window, you wouldn't run into this issue.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:38 PM   #37

Did you take a loo at this website for Texas? It discusses the issue pretty well.
TXDMV.GOV - Out of State and Imported Vehicles
Old 01-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Had a quick look at that website.
My first question is, is a trailer a vehicle according to state law? They want an odometer reading.
I'd ask if these requirements for a vehicle apply to a trailer. Could be that Essex clerk is not interpreting the law correctly.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:51 PM   #39

Good point .......I'm not sure a trailer or 5th wheel would be considered a "vehicle".
Old 01-23-2015, 10:24 PM   #40

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Good point .......I'm not sure a trailer or 5th wheel would be considered a "vehicle".
It is a vehicle - it's just not a motor vehicle. Just to confuse people, the Texas Motor Vehicle Registration Manual covers non-motorized vehicles... there are hundreds of references to "trailer" in that manual, and various types of trailers are defined (the manual's title should just omit the word "motor").

Now, what types of vehicles are covered by the Texas requirements which are an issue?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote