Fastest Way to Pay for Final Bill - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2015, 06:12 PM   #1
xyz

Trailer: nunya
Fastest Way to Pay for Final Bill

My wife and I are on our way up to Chilliwack to pick up our trailer, and we're freaking out a bit. I trie dot do a wire transfer on Friday, but the PDF Escape sent me did not have the Institution code or Transit code on it. By the time I got the email and got back to it, my bank was closed for making international transfers.

We're now four days from picking up our trailer, and we have not paid the full balance yet. We have all the money in our bank account (USAA), but don't know the fastest way to get it to Escape so that we don't have to get a hotel for 10 unplanned extra days before driving our trailer away. Partly our fault, but we also have gotten no email contact about payment types, how to pay, etc, since making our initial deposit.

Does anyone here have experience with a personal check vs. wire transfer? If we overnight a personal check now, it will be there by Monday. Will three days be enough time for that to clear? Or would doing an international wire transfer on Monday be a better option; although, USAA states that it can take up to 15 days for international transfers to post, but only 1 day for domestic wire transfers to post.

If anyone has some helpful input, I'd really appreciate it!
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I can't speak to wire transfers as we attempted to mail the check. We sent it Priority Mail via USPS, which is 2-3 days in the U.S. Took over three weeks to get to Canada. Since it was the Canadian version of a bank check, it seems it cleared right away once it got there.

DO NOT send it via USPS if it needs to get there any time soon. UPS or fedex are better for internal delivery. I had a client in Ontario send a check overnight via FedEx and it was here the next day.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
xyz

Bill,

The only thing I'm worried about is that it would take extra time for a personal check to clear, since it's a US check. I don't have access to Canadian checks. We'd be happy to Fedex overnight a personal check, but if it will take longer to clear than a wire transfer, we'd rather start the wire transfer process.

Perhaps we should just Fedex the check now, and then call the bank and Escape on Monday to ask which will be fastest for clearing...
Old 09-26-2015, 06:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
I think a personal check takes a long time to clear - so it needs to be a cashier's check which can be credited immediately.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:34 PM   #5
xyz

Bill - what sort of check did you pay with? You said it was the "Canadian version of a bank check". What does that mean? A cashier's check that was converted to CAD before it was printed?

The trouble here is that we're not in San Antonio any more, so if we were to get a cashier's check from USAA, we'd have to have them overnight it to Canada, and I don't know that there's any guarantee they would use Fedex over USPS or something similar; whereas we can definitely use Fedex, if using a personal check is faster than international wire transfer.

I'm wondering if there's any way to expedite an international wire transfer.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
A cashiers or bank check is needed, but I believe if the remaining balance is small they will accept a credit card payment (small as in less than $1k) otherwise your check can be verified by the bank in Canada and a hold placed until it clears, thereby creating a bank check.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:38 PM   #7
xyz

Jim - does that mean that we can pay with a personal check and take the trailer that day? We ow the balance minus $500 initial deposit, so a credit card won't cut it.

Or are you saying that the cashiers check will be verified, "creating a bank check"?
Old 09-26-2015, 06:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridaynext View Post
Bill - what sort of check did you pay with? You said it was the "Canadian version of a bank check". What does that mean? A cashier's check that was converted to CAD before it was printed?

The trouble here is that we're not in San Antonio any more, so if we were to get a cashier's check from USAA, we'd have to have them overnight it to Canada, and I don't know that there's any guarantee they would use Fedex over USPS or something similar; whereas we can definitely use Fedex, if using a personal check is faster than international wire transfer.

I'm wondering if there's any way to expedite an international wire transfer.
If you get the cashiers check, then take it with you, it can be verified via phone by ETI bank. Should be ok
Old 09-26-2015, 06:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I think cashiers checks take a few days to clear now as well. Best would probably be to call ETI and setup a wire transfer at this point. You indicate final payment, I think they will allow up to $3k on ur card when you pick up, but if more than that remaining then the other route is way to go.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I used TDBank but any commercial bank that offers currency exchange can do this. In the U.S., to pay a car dealer you would get a bank check (aka cashiers check). These funds are good immediately. The Canadian name for this check is a bank draft. The bank took the U.S. Funds from my account, converted it to Canadian, and then gave me the bank draft in cdn$ which I mailed to ETI.

If you lived in Canada, you would probably just walk in with the cdn$ bank draft and settle it the day of pickup.

I also suggest making sure the funds are up there ahead of the border crossing. One of the questions at customs was about carrying large amounts of money, and when we mentioned picking up a trailer, they wanted to know how we were going to pay for it since we didn't have a large amount of cash. Paying ahead by bank draft was an acceptable answer.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I am on a road trip so cannot help with account numbers but when doing a wire transfer, ETI's receiving account is their VanCity Credit Union account. A wire transfer does not involve Wells Fargo or any other institution that is mentioned on that PDF. A wire transfer is so simple and I don't understand why it is still so difficult to get the correct account number from ETI. Maybe someone on the forum who has done this recently can help with the account number.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:14 PM   #12
xyz

I've attached the PDF I was sent for wire transfer, which like I previously said, USAA could not use, since it didn't have the Institution Code or Transit Code. I don't see VanCity account, only a Citizens Bank of Canada account.

My wife and I decided we'll call USAA as early as they open on Monday morning and ask what the absolute fastest way is to get the funds to ETI. I'm also booking an extra 6 hotel days (ouch!), on the off chance that the funds don't get to them in time. Hopefully we'll be able to cancel those hotel days more than 24 hours in advance and spend those days in our Escape!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wire Transfer Instructions USD.pdf (18.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 09-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #13

Karen helped me last May get this figured out with ETI and I have the correct information that I tested successfully on XE.com for one transaction. I didn't use it after that because they had a free draft option that was easier and quicker.

I am sending you the correct Vancity info.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:33 PM   #14
xyz

Thanks, Greg. What's the "fee draft" option you're talking about? If it's quicker, I'd be much happier using that technique, even if I have to use it with USAA (as I'm pretty sure setting up an XE account takes more time than I have).
Old 09-26-2015, 07:35 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
I think calling ETI Monday and getting the routing/transit numbers then calling USAA to do a wire transfer should work. You can't carry a cashier's check across the border as they consider it cash - we researched this recently! I can understand your feeling of panic but this will work out by the time you pick up your trailer! Best of luck��
Old 09-26-2015, 07:41 PM   #16

I did not know that, even if the check is made out to a 3rd party?
Old 09-26-2015, 07:49 PM   #17

I pm'd you everything you should need to call USAA on Monday and send a wire transfer right in. You'll need to notify ETI as well to be looking for it and verify that it hits their bank. I wouldn't mess with anything else at this point. USAA should be able to verify the info I sent you is correct before transmitting.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #18

When I read the customs info that is how it appeared. They ask if you are carrying more than 10k in cash every time we cross the border and they also consider a check as cash.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:08 PM   #19

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
I wouldn't go crazy booking a hotel for extra days just yet. My wire from Wells Fargo took about 3 days. Good Luck.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
When we wired money from Ohio we had some issues with some getting the correct account numbers for the transfer. We called Tammy from our bank and she gave us the contact at ETI's bank. The lady at our bank called the contact at ETI's bank and all was done in about 45 minutes.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote