Fastest Way to Pay for Final Bill - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2015, 09:43 AM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thumbs up

Common sense prevails, occasionally, thanks for the feedback
Old 09-27-2015, 09:49 AM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
Jim - after googling the subject a bit more it looks like you are correct that if the cashier's check is made out to Escape and has not been endorsed that it does not need to be declared!
After encountering one particularly border security agent as we crossed into the U.S. at Sumas a few years ago (the type whose sociopathic tendencies blossom when given a uniform and a gun) we err to the side of caution and try not to take any items across that could lead to further questioning. He was so nasty I took the time to fill out an online complaint form about his behavior - only to receive a message when I submitted the form that the agency could not accept the form. One way to keep the quality assurance people happy!
Maybe that is why nothing was said . It wasn't a problem . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #43

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Pat - I think the take home message is that one needs to be aware of restrictions when traveling internationally as they change constantly. My cursory read of the regulations concerning declaring cash and checks into Canada led me to mail the check as I don't want any complications at the border. Reading a bit more in depth it appears that a check made out to ETI would not have been a problem.
Since we usually have our trailer with us and carry food across we always check the Border Patrol website a few days before crossing so we know the current restrictions which can change due to various outbreaks. Last summer we had to surrender three eggs and a frozen Costco chicken breast entering into BC because I forgot to check and did not realize there was concern about avian flu! ����
We are scrupulously transparent when we are questioned because they are well trained to detect any deceit and I have no desire to attract special "attention"! My favorite question is "when were you in Canada last?. I know darn well it is in their computer but darned if I can remember LOL!
Old 09-27-2015, 03:53 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Well here is my 2 undeclared cents worth: I deal with all beauracrats the same. "If in doubt ask". In this case I'd call up Canadian Customs and tell them that "I need to bring across the border X number of dollars to pay for your trailer. What do I need to do?" They'll tell you that you need to declare it. Do that .... after all its already been reported to the IRS when you made the withdrawal from your bank account ( any amount over $5000.00, I think). There are no secretes regarding money.

A couple hints:

If carrying large amounts of cash, spread it around your vehicle in good hiding places but keep a few hundred in your wallet. Should you get robbed, then give up the few hundred in your wallet and hope the robber thinks that is all you have. Leave your gold chains and flashy jewelry at home.

Stop before crossing borders or known search points and put all your cash on your person. You could be ordered out and away from your car and your car searched. If the guards find piles of stashed cash you will automatically up your level of suspiciousness.

A woman's purse is not a good place to temporary store cash as she can be ordered to leave it behind in the car .... same with computers.

In short ... crossing the Canadian border .... honesty is your best policy and patience pays dividends. Taking more than $10,000 across the border to pay for your trailer is a legitiment business transaction. Deals of this nature happen all the time between our countries. I'm just thankful that Canadians are better Americans than Americans.

Tom
Old 09-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Yes, can call the border on this. Good idea. We were asked at the border about how we were going to pay for the trailer and whether we had a cashier's check, and we did. In fact, we had two but they amounted to about $5,000. My impression is that they do treat a cashier's check as cash which had never occurred to us. We happened to be under the $10,000.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:45 PM   #46
xyz

Trailer: nunya
Much ado about nothing. The wire transfer was initiated and completed (received) in about 24 hours total. I just gave USAA the info on that PDF, and it turned out to be the correct info, since we were wiring USD.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #47

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Glad to hear it all ended well! Now go have fun with your new trailer!
Old 09-29-2015, 08:56 PM   #48
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridaynext View Post
Much ado about nothing. The wire transfer was initiated and completed (received) in about 24 hours total. I just gave USAA the info on that PDF, and it turned out to be the correct info, since we were wiring USD.
But you were worried and rightfully so. I remember Tammy telling me, they don't accept large personal checks less than six weeks before pickup. Not that they don't trust buyers, but dealing with international banks can be HUGE. We need to remember, you pay for the trailer, you get the title for the trailer. No one should expect ETI to be on the hook, waiting for some bank to approve the money transfer.

Pay as much as you can in advance... fewer headaches!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #49

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
But you were worried and rightfully so. I remember Tammy telling me, they don't accept large personal checks less than six weeks before pickup. Not that they don't trust buyers, but dealing with international banks can be HUGE. We need to remember, you pay for the trailer, you get the title for the trailer. No one should expect ETI to be on the hook, waiting for some bank to approve the money transfer.

Pay as much as you can in advance... fewer headaches!
I agree. Additionally ETI and their bank gave me the best exchange rate in the whole process with a funds wire.
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote