fiberglass trailer discount on insurance - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2016, 10:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
fiberglass trailer discount on insurance

I went in today to arrange the insurance on our soon to be picked up 21 and was told that under the new State Farm guidelines, fiberglass trailers get a 20% discount off of their regular trailer rates. Has anyone else heard this from their insurance carriers?

thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
We were very pleased with the rates from Progressive for our new 21. Roughly $185.00 for the year. No mention of fiberglass discounts. There seems to be quite a wide range in premiums for RVs. Roadside assistance was $10.00 additional for the year.

M.W.Deters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
The insurance premium you pay will be influenced by your coverage, your claims record, where you live, where you keep the trailer and even your credit score.
So, discussion of the cost of insurance is a waste of time unless we have all the details. And even then, I wonder.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:20 AM   #4

This is a forum correct? This is a place to exchange information correct? I simply offered my actual experience as a reference for others. Lighten up!
Old 03-04-2016, 02:42 AM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
After I got Road Side Service through Amica I found there was a $100 max they would pay out per occurrence.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:11 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
baglo is correct, in that just about any two of us can go to the same company for the same coverage on the same vehicle, and get different rates. Plus, the coverage that suits one person might differ to the next.

I set up a policy to cover replacement cost of the trailer, the full value to replace it with new. I make certain all contents are covered, and that we are covered for emergency meals and lodging. That's about it, and that cost me about $250 CAD through Aviva.

I have never heard of a reduction in rates for a moulded fibreglass trailer, but it does make sense. They have a WAY better chance of surviving many kinds of destruction to them, whether bad weather (hail), bumps and bruises, to accidents on the road.

I wonder how many of us just never actually tell the broker that we in fact own a moulded fibreglass trailer, and instead just give the year, make and model when getting a quote. Might be something to at least inquire about when looking.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Hello M.W. Deters,
You got a bargain. I am insured with the same company, but my rate is $715 for a year with one year no claim discount. I knew that there is a difference in rate based on location. But $500 premium difference is unbeliveable. Lets compare the coverage: I have comprehensive (total loss replacement) with $250 deductible, collison with $2,500 deductible, Replacement cost personal effects $3000 with $100 deductible and also have fire department service and emergency expense. Thanks.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #8

Trailer: perhaps 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper-tx View Post
I went in today to arrange the insurance on our soon to be picked up 21 and was told that under the new State Farm guidelines, fiberglass trailers get a 20% discount off of their regular trailer rates. Has anyone else heard this from their insurance carriers?
state farm indicated similar rate to this buyer when considering various trailers for purchase...state farm specifically asked prior to giving a quote if it was a molded fiberglass trailer...mentioned that in some cases they were repairable versus other types they considered non-repairable..possibly meaning other types were a total loss in most cases.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:16 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Hello M.W. Deters,
You got a bargain. I am insured with the same company, but my rate is $715 for a year with one year no claim discount. I knew that there is a difference in rate based on location. But $500 premium difference is unbeliveable. Lets compare the coverage: I have comprehensive (total loss replacement) with $250 deductible, collison with $2,500 deductible, Replacement cost personal effects $3000 with $100 deductible and also have fire department service and emergency expense. Thanks.

Tonny LR
And, that's what I'm talking about. The details.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Hello M.W. Deters,

Tonny LR
Hi Tonny,
I have TLR: $1,000 deductible, Collision:$1,000 deductible, Mexico coverage, F.D.: $1,000, Emergency expense:$750, Vacation liability $10,000. Personal effects as well. I purchased through the website. I too was very surprised at the disparity between companies. This is legit, not a quote but an issued policy 2/8/16-2/7/17.
Mark