Finally got licensed and titled in California! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 21 on Feb 28, 2017 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
South Dakota Experience

We were able to register our 21 in South Dakota without even being in the state. It was all handled by the mail forwarding company we are using. The only hangup was calculating the tax. The sales receipt from ETI didn't show the total paid in US dollars since they don't necessarily know the amount paid in US dollars. We paid the deposit by credit card and only shows up as $2500 CAD on the receipt. I had to contact Kathy at ETI to have her add a line stating total paid in USD based on my own calculations. After that it went smoothly and I have the plate to put on the trailer when we pick it up (July 10).

stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:51 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Why are you licensing your trailer in South Dakota when you live in Ohio?

Old 06-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 21 on Feb 28, 2017 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Why are you licensing your trailer in South Dakota when you live in Ohio?
Closed on the sale of our house today. Effective July 1 we will no longer be Ohio residents. Our mailing address will be SD but we don't know where we will be at any given time. Home will be a 21.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:14 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Understandable, you had to pick someplace for home of record.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Closed on the sale of our house today. Effective July 1 we will no longer be Ohio residents. Our mailing address will be SD but we don't know where we will be at any given time. Home will be a 21.
Congratulations on being homeless. SD is one of the top choices for domicile when full-timing as you don't have to be present to get most things done.
Greg A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
And so it goes, eh? Escape Inc. does a great job of providing all the necessary documentation for trailer registrations across the border, yet it seems no matter what state you're in, there's always the probability you'll encounter that one mountain, Mount Ignorant Bureaucrat.
There's also probability the registration process will go well, as ours did in Illinois. We went into the process expecting the worst, based on previous experiences with the Illinois Secretary of State office. We ran into a paperwork snag. Seemed we didn't have the right form needed to register our Escape. The folks at the DMV couldn't have been more cooperative and helpful. They called the Capitol for directions... Finally, one of the DMV folks found the proper form in our paperwork. The form title was in very small print along the bottom of the page. Kudos to Jesse White, our Secretary of State who has his department running well. Hope other experiences go as well as ours did.
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:09 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Closed on the sale of our house today. Home will be a 21.
Now I wish I could convince my husband....
Congratulations!!
Your new home will bring you to places never seen before!!
Best wishes!!
Old 08-27-2017, 01:20 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I'd planned to stop by Mount Shasta, but due to some scheduling issues caused by work and the eclipse I ended up trying Redding instead and wished I'd driven the hour north back to Mount Shasta. I think it might have still taken less time overall.
They were nice enough and did get it done without any major issues on the VIN (or parking), but it took basically the entire day (and half the next day, but that's my fault because it turns out my debit card had a low daily max). Parking for the trailer was only slightly difficult, at least.

They did give me a license plate that day, but said it was "provisional" pending approval from Sacramento.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:30 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
I'd planned to stop by Mount Shasta, but due to some scheduling issues caused by work and the eclipse I ended up trying Redding instead and wished I'd driven the hour north back to Mount Shasta. I think it might have still taken less time overall.
They were nice enough and did get it done without any major issues on the VIN (or parking), but it took basically the entire day (and half the next day, but that's my fault because it turns out my debit card had a low daily max). Parking for the trailer was only slightly difficult, at least.

They did give me a license plate that day, but said it was "provisional" pending approval from Sacramento.
Hi: Defenestrator... "Your provisional taxes at work". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
Thanks for the heads up - picking up my trailer on the 5th and have now scheduled an appointment for registration at the Mount Shasta DMV.... here's to smooth sailing!

parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote