Finally got licensed and titled in California! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #21

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
I registered my 5.0 TA in less than 20 minutes from the time I got off I-5 to the time I got back on with plate in hand at the Mt. Shasta DMV. Friendly employees and they knew what they were doing. Escape provided all the needed paperwork.

I did pick up the one page form from DMV before leaving California and had it filled out when I got there.

Couldn't have went any smoother.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicVic View Post
I registered my 5.0 TA in less than 20 minutes from the time I got off I-5 to the time I got back on with plate in hand at the Mt. Shasta DMV. Friendly employees and they knew what they were doing. Escape provided all the needed paperwork.

I did pick up the one page form from DMV before leaving California and had it filled out when I got there.

Couldn't have went any smoother.
This was also our experience at the Eureka DMV along 101. I think, sometimes the larger offices feel overwhelmed. Long lines, an endless parade of helpless people, and the monotony of the routine. In a smaller office, the employees are less rushed. They have the luxury of focusing on the unique circumstances of our transaction. They are able to study the paperwork, ask pertinent questions, and consult with colleagues when necessary.
We found the Eureka DMV to be relaxed, uncrowded, and welcoming. Our agent said words to affect, "We can do this", and read each ETI document. We had an appointment, but did no paperwork in advance. We were in and out with our plates in 50 minutes.
For returning Californians, Shasta and Eureka are good bets!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
That is good info Californians that are going to pickup their Escape trailer in the future. Whether they come back via the coast route or inland, there will a DMV office that is quick and professional.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 19'
We are happy to report that we got our trailer registered (w/ plate) at Mt Shasta City DMV today and it only took an hour. (most of the wait was because they were short one person and it's Monday morning busy...)
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:07 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
I tried to register Wild Thing in Massachusetts today...no go...they won't issue title or registration until the customs documents have been stamped that the trailer has been imported. I was planning to spend few days in WA after taking possession on the 22nd, so now I will have to extend that stay so I can overnight the documents to my husband back home, have him take it to the RMV and get the plates, then overnight them back to me. Pain In The Toushie! I'm leaving Monday for the journey west!
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:12 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Sarah we have the same problem in Wisconsin. But I and many others have traveled back camping along the way and as far as I know, no one has had a problem. You will have all the documents and can show them all to any officers in the unlikely case you get stopped.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I agree, why spend the unnecessary expense, wait until you arrive home with the doc's in hand. No one has ever been questioned while returning home without a tag.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisababe View Post
I tried to register Wild Thing in Massachusetts today...no go...they won't issue title or registration until the customs documents have been stamped that the trailer has been imported. I was planning to spend few days in WA after taking possession on the 22nd, so now I will have to extend that stay so I can overnight the documents to my husband back home, have him take it to the RMV and get the plates, then overnight them back to me. Pain In The Toushie! I'm leaving Monday for the journey west!
Did you ask if they need a VIN verification? We couldn't get plates in Maine until a law enforcement officer physically verified the trailer and VIN. We have a friend who is a police captain, and before we went out to pick up our Escape, I asked about pulling it back without a valid plate and he said he never had heard of a cop pulling over a vehicle for a non-plated trailer. We took 17 days to get back to Maine without incident.
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
Did you ask if they need a VIN verification? We couldn't get plates in Maine until a law enforcement officer physically verified the trailer and VIN. We have a friend who is a police captain, and before we went out to pick up our Escape, I asked about pulling it back without a valid plate and he said he never had heard of a cop pulling over a vehicle for a non-plated trailer. We took 17 days to get back to Maine without incident.
Thanks for the input...they didn't question the VIN, they were focused on the fact that the Certificate of Origin had not been stamped by customs... I think I'll take your advice and just wait until I return with the trailer...
Old 09-05-2017, 05:41 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I agree, why spend the unnecessary expense, wait until you arrive home with the doc's in hand. No one has ever been questioned while returning home without a tag.
Thank you for the advice. I think I'll just wait until I get home and save my $$ for camping!
Old 09-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Sarah we have the same problem in Wisconsin. But I and many others have traveled back camping along the way and as far as I know, no one has had a problem. You will have all the documents and can show them all to any officers in the unlikely case you get stopped.
Thank you Thoer....that sounds like a better plan.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisababe View Post
Thank you Thoer....that sounds like a better plan.
Sarah, Don't know about MA., but in Calif. we have 20 days to register after our 'return' to Calif. once you get home, find a friendly DMV office and enjoy!

Cheers to Your Pick-Up!

Old 09-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Sarah, Don't know about MA., but in Calif. we have 20 days to register after our 'return' to Calif. once you get home, find a friendly DMV office and enjoy!

Cheers to Your Pick-Up!
Thank you Steve! I'm sooo ready !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2017, 02:19 AM   #34

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I love the trailer name Wild thing!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I love the trailer name Wild thing!
'It makes my heart sing'......

Old 09-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
'It makes my heart sing'......
You've got the groove Steve and Fox Hunt!
FYI I'm blogging about my Escape adventure with Wild Thing on wildthingescapes.com if you want to follow along! You can also find me on the FB page wildthingescapes
Old 09-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #37

Successful Second Attempt at Registering!

So, some call me stubborn...I prefer "persistent creative thinker". I decided to try a second attempt at registering Wild Thing, this time at a different RMV and was successful.
I did not take all the paperwork that ET sent me this time, but only gave them the Bill of Sale, the RMV1 forms from my insurance agent, and the Certificate of Origin from ET (the one on the gray paper that says Cert. of Origin for Travel Trailer at the top). I wish I had taken a photo of the Certificate of Origin I gave them before going since they kept it, but with these three documents I was successful in registering the trailer and now have my plate!

I did not hand over the NAFTA Certificate of Origin that will be stamped by customs when the trailer is imported, nor did I give them the other import documents supplied by ET in my packet. I hoped that limiting the info I provided (ie. keeping my big mouth shut!) I would make it easier for them to complete the transaction. I also did not offer any info about the fact that the trailer is not yet completed, that I have not yet taken possession and that it has not yet crossed the border. I just smiled, batted my baby blues, and kept the nice customer service rep talking about where he would go if he had a trailer... and voila!
Old 06-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
My California DMV adventure today:

I arrived at 7:15 am, 45 minutes before opening. I got in a line of about 30 people. I didn't have an appointment because the first available was more than a month away. I had magazines, my phone, and a camp chair. (note: I live in a town of about 20,000 people)

I had the one page registration paper already filled out so when I got to the front (maybe an hr after opening) the nice lady gave me a number.

After another long wait, I was called. I presented all the stuff I had....Import document, that gray page, the bill of sale, etc. to the young woman at the designated window. She set me up for the inspection. The gentleman told me to pull around to the place where the drivers waited for their in-car test, even though the parking lot is very small and I was parked on the street about 30 yards away. Then I waited for the inspection guy to take down the information from the outside sticker. He gave me the paper he filled out. I repositioned my car, feeling very lucky no one had taken my spot.

I returned to the aforementioned young woman who told me we could not complete registration today as the paperwork had to go to the foreign import office in Sacramento (sounds like Skyfree's experience). Then she started to add up all the stuff on the bill of sale (build sheet) and decided that I only had to pay sales tax on the base price. But she didn"t know the US $ value.

"Oh!" says I, "I can get that for you!" I whipped out my phone and used an app to convert Canadian$ to US$ and she got permission from her supervisor to do it that way. So I saved about $650 in sales tax. Considering their strict adherence to rules, I was shocked that this was allowed, but who was I to argue?

So she gave me copies of all my paperwork, and a receipt showing various fees etc, and a temporary registration good for 3 months. She said just keep that in the tow vehicle and if I don't get plates before the expiration, come back. I sure hope they come before late July or I'll have to arrange for them to be mailed across the country.

For the record, I had planned to stop at the famous Mt. Shasta DMV but I came through on a Saturday and it's closed. I mentioned the Shasta experience others have had to the nice young woman, and she said they probably process it themselves which isn't in the rule book. I didn't argue with her!

All told, 5 hrs.

Now, just hoping that there's no further problems with the foreign office in Sacramento. Worst case scenario, I'll have to pay the extra sales tax.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #39

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I took in an official looking Canadian-US conversion rate for the day I bought the trailer- worked for me, only paid tax on the value in Cdn funds. (Not California, though, where it took me nine months to register my Campster.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
My California DMV adventure today:

Well, done Barbara. Only one trip to the DMV!!
(Not 3, like us).

When I got to the part where
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
........ woman who told me we could not complete registration today as the paperwork had to go to the foreign import office in Sacramento..........
I had to smile. That's the identical thing we were told. I'd figure 5 weeks 'til the license is in your mailbox.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote