Finally got licensed and titled in California! - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #61

Trailer: none
So Matt, I guess having the VIN stamped on the frame is not a "requirement" after all?
Old 08-19-2018, 04:48 PM   #62

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
I got my California registration and license plate and it was relatively pain free. After picking up our new Escape 21 in late May, we stopped at the DMV in Crescent City. It was the first DMV office we got to as we re-entered California. We had made an appointment a few days before we arrived. We had not bothered with getting any temporary permits for Washington, Oregon, or California. The lady that "helped" me at the DMV was kinda rude, but I think that is kinda a requirement for all California DMV employees. She insisted that I pay taxes based on the Canadian Dollar. After initially refusing to even try to understand that the value of the Canadian and US dollar was not the same, I told her if I had purchased the trailer in Mexico I would have paid about 585,000 pesos. I asked her if that was the case would she tax me based on $585,000 US Dollars? She then actually looked up the CAD to USD conversion and taxed me correctly. I was also a little concerned because she said the VIN # has to be stamped on the frame, which it is not on Escape Trailers. She said "I'm not sure what Sacramento will say about that." She did complete all the forms and made copies of the documents ETI had provided me. She gave me a 90 day temporary permit and sent the forms/documents to Sacramento. I was there for a total of 90 minutes, which by California DMV standards is lighting speed. Exactly 60 days later by registration and license plate arrived in the mail.
You got out of there lucky split ! Ours took days and was a nightmare ! But I hear it is worst now almost 5 years later at DMV . Good for you . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:02 PM   #63

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
I got my California registration and license plate and it was relatively pain free. After picking up our new Escape 21 in late May, we stopped at the DMV in Crescent City. It was the first DMV office we got to as we re-entered California. We had made an appointment a few days before we arrived. We had not bothered with getting any temporary permits for Washington, Oregon, or California. The lady that "helped" me at the DMV was kinda rude, but I think that is kinda a requirement for all California DMV employees. She insisted that I pay taxes based on the Canadian Dollar. After initially refusing to even try to understand that the value of the Canadian and US dollar was not the same, I told her if I had purchased the trailer in Mexico I would have paid about 585,000 pesos. I asked her if that was the case would she tax me based on $585,000 US Dollars? She then actually looked up the CAD to USD conversion and taxed me correctly. I was also a little concerned because she said the VIN # has to be stamped on the frame, which it is not on Escape Trailers. She said "I'm not sure what Sacramento will say about that." She did complete all the forms and made copies of the documents ETI had provided me. She gave me a 90 day temporary permit and sent the forms/documents to Sacramento. I was there for a total of 90 minutes, which by California DMV standards is lighting speed. Exactly 60 days later by registration and license plate arrived in the mail.

Yahoo! Add Crescent City to the list of CA DMV Offices for trouble free registration:

Shasta City
Eureka
Crescent City

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:00 PM   #64

Trailer: 2018 Escape19
we got our license plate for our Escape 19 as well. But where can I put on the trailer? Do I need to drill holes for this?
jmcrv2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:03 PM   #65

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcrv2017 View Post
we got our license plate for our Escape 19 as well. But where can I put on the trailer? Do I need to drill holes for this?
There is a license plate holder on the driver side rear....
Old 10-28-2018, 05:11 PM   #66
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Here, there's a license plate bracket and light
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:52 PM   #67

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Here, there's a license plate bracket and light

.......and another:
Attached Thumbnails
C0C6584A-19EA-4BB2-83C2-99E7E395796A.jpg  

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #68

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
they put my plate on for me when i picked up the trailer.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #69

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
sorry you had to go thru all this. and for anyone else reading this... in CA: Mt Shasta (CA) DMV was awesome. highly recommended.

john
I lived in Yreka for 18 years and would travel the 30 miles frequently to do DMV business in Mt. Shasta because of the POS office in Yreka. It was mind-numbing the business that the Mt. Shasta office could complete that the Yreka office could not.