Florida Trailer Registration - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2018, 08:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Florida Trailer Registration

For those Florida residents who picked up their trailers at Escape, how was the registration process to get the plates beforehand? I am hoping I can get the plates before the trip. I understand Escape will provide me with paperwork about a month before pickup. Any problems getting plates? Thanks.
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiki724 View Post
For those Florida residents who picked up their trailers at Escape, how was the registration process to get the plates beforehand? I am hoping I can get the plates before the trip. I understand Escape will provide me with paperwork about a month before pickup. Any problems getting plates? Thanks.
No, but some of the clerks do not realize that Florida allows it. If you have any problems, ask them to get their supervisor. If they don’t know (but they should), ask them to call Tallahassee. Just have the ETI paperwork and make sure you tell Tammy you need it as soon as possible.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:56 AM   #3

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiki724 View Post
If you run into problems at one place you can always try at another one. We had no problems at all. But I did read where somebody in the West Palm area ran into difficulty when they tried to get the title and tag. The paperwork that Escape provided was all that was needed.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
No but u may need to assure them that with the correct paperwork ie documentation it can be done as several of us have done it. Initially the staffer I worked with raised the issue of having an inspection done first, but there is a document from eti that renders this unnecessary thus avoiding creating a catch 22 situation.
They did puzzle over the exchange rate; I suggested they google the current rate for the conversion and they did vs using the date on my paperwork, even though this was not to my advantage but seemed more acceptable to them.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #5

Trailer: Past time to update- canceled my 5.0 ��
I know this is an older thread, but WHO in Florida processes this? I have called DMV and Tax Collector, and still getting the run around, as well as being told the trailer must physically be inspected in Florida. This is an issue for me as I’m a travel RN and won’t be back home until fall of 2018. Does anyone know if a new trailer has to physically be IN Florida to get registered? Thanks in advance for any ideas and/or help. ✌��
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva View Post
I know this is an older thread, but WHO in Florida processes this? I have called DMV and Tax Collector, and still getting the run around, as well as being told the trailer must physically be inspected in Florida. This is an issue for me as I’m a travel RN and won’t be back home until fall of 2018. Does anyone know if a new trailer has to physically be IN Florida to get registered? Thanks in advance for any ideas and/or help. ✌��

No it does not need to be inspected. When it is imported into the U.S. it will be inspected by customs and all serial numbers and such will be verified to match the paperwork. It seems every tag and title agency in the state has it's own ideas of rules. Which is why it is recommended if one place gives you problems and you can't easily resolve them try another.

When we did ours we took the paperwork to them that Escape had provided. They looked through and pulled several items out, went online and checked the exchange rate and used that days. Which was fine by me as it worked out slightly less than I had originally paid. Total time to get tags and title ran about 20 minutes. I was in line longer waiting to get in.
We went up 3 weeks later to pick up the trailer in Sumas after the visit to Chilliwack.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
No it does not need to be inspected...............
When we did ours we took the paperwork to them that Escape had provided. They looked through and pulled several items out, went online and checked the exchange rate and used that days. Which was fine by me as it worked out slightly less than I had originally paid. Total time to get tags and title ran about 20 minutes. I was in line longer waiting to get in.
We went up 3 weeks later to pick up the trailer in Sumas after the visit to Chilliwack.
Ken, it may be very helpful if you could share the specific DMV office you went to with Ramona (Deva). I realize Florida is a pretty big state, but still...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #8

Yeah, the issue is I won’t physically be in Florida. I was assuming (dumb me!) that in this day in age, all of this could be done remotely via email, faxing, and or photos of pertinent numbers, signatures, and border inspection. Yikes, what a hot mess this process is, just ridiculous. Thanks for response, but I guess I have an odd situation.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ken, it may be very helpful if you could share the specific DMV office you went to with Ramona (Deva). I realize Florida is a pretty big state, but still...
Mine was done at the Anderson Administration Center
4000 S. Tamiami Trail (U.S. 41) Venice, FL.
I think Carl, C&G is closer to her and also had a fairly effortless experience.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Yeah, the issue is I won’t physically be in Florida. I was assuming (dumb me!) that in this day in age, all of this could be done remotely via email, faxing, and or photos of pertinent numbers, signatures, and border inspection. Yikes, what a hot mess this process is, just ridiculous. Thanks for response, but I guess I have an odd situation.

That might be harder. However, maybe if you have family or someone you can trust there should be a way you can give them permission to do the paperwork for you. I know I had to do that while selling land I had inherited in another state. It sold for so little no way I was going up to do the paperwork. So I had a lawyer take care of it.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Mine was done at the Anderson Administration Center
4000 S. Tamiami Trail (U.S. 41) Venice, FL.
I think Carl, C&G is closer to her and also had a fairly effortless experience.
Thanks! If those of us that had no issues at DMV shared specifics, like this specific location, we may save those that come after
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
No u do not need to have a physical inspection. There is a certificate that meets this need that is part of the paperwork eti will send u as u near ur completion date- a few weeks out if I remember correctly. I went thru this in Port St. Lucie, FL. At first my clerk thought it had to be inspected, but I said please check with ur supervisor who agreed with me when I gave them the paperwork that it did not.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:58 PM   #13

Crazy train🤣

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moaboy View Post
No u do not need to have a physical inspection. There is a certificate that meets this need that is part of the paperwork eti will send u as u near ur completion date- a few weeks out if I remember correctly. I went thru this in Port St. Lucie, FL. At first my clerk thought it had to be inspected, but I said please check with ur supervisor who agreed with me when I gave them the paperwork that it did not.
Just got off the phone again with a “Supervisor” at DMV who told me “No, you have to bring the trailer to Florida.” So then I asked for a phone number in Tallahassee, he was unable to give me anything other than the general customer service number, which is a recorded message saying they have “high call volume, call back later.” Then CLICK! Disconnected. I told him brand new trailer, going through a dealer, then he said you “might” be able to have the dealer send the paperwork. When I asked for an address to send said paperwork to, he didn’t know and couldn’t refer me to anyone who did. When I said “Thank You for your help.” He said “Ya.” and hung up. Real professional like 😉
Old 02-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Just got off the phone again with a “Supervisor” at DMV who told me “No, you have to bring the trailer to Florida.” So then I asked for a phone number in Tallahassee, he was unable to give me anything other than the general customer service number, which is a recorded message saying they have “high call volume, call back later.” Then CLICK! Disconnected. I told him brand new trailer, going through a dealer, then he said you “might” be able to have the dealer send the paperwork. When I asked for an address to send said paperwork to, he didn’t know and couldn’t refer me to anyone who did. When I said “Thank You for your help.” He said “Ya.” and hung up. Real professional like ��
Here is the Sarasota County number 941-861-8300 option 2
If you get an operator ask for Motor vehicle services. Open M-T 08:30 AM to 5:00 PM F 08:30 AM to 5:30PM

Maybe they can help you.

Explain the Travel Trailer is new , not titled yet and is being imported from Canada to the United States and will go through customs who will verify all the paperwork is correct before they will let it enter the United States.
The VIN will be verified by the Feds, and they will verify it meets all applicable safety standards.
Good luck!!
Old 02-27-2018, 04:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Here is the Sarasota County number 941-861-8300 option 2
If you get an operator ask for Motor vehicle services. Open M-T 08:30 AM to 5:00 PM F 08:30 AM to 5:30PM

Maybe they can help you.

Explain the Travel Trailer is new , not titled yet and is being imported from Canada to the United States...
Hey, thanks very much! I’ll give it a whirl Wednesday and keep my fingers and toes crossed����
Old 02-27-2018, 07:07 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Ramona, can you please explain what you mean by “you won’t be in Florida.”
Typically, people want to get a tag before leaving to pick up a trailer, so they will have no problems on the return trip.
A friend of mine tried to register his trailer ahead of time in St. Petersburg. They told him it couldn’t be done. He called me on speaker phone and I stated of course it can be done. Then I said if Pinellas County doesn’t want to do it, come on up to Pasco County because they will. Suddenly, I heard the clerk say, we can do it. Apparently, they didn’t want to lose the fee they get to keep for every registration they process. If you wish to discuss this, send me a PM with a phone number and a convenient time to call and I will go over the process in detail.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:45 PM   #17

Howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Ramona, can you please explain what you mean by “you won’t be in Florida.”
Typically, people want to get a tag before leaving to pick up a trailer, so they will have no problems on the return trip.
A friend of mine tried to register his trailer ahead of time in St. Petersburg. They told him it couldn’t be done. He called me on speaker phone and I stated of course it can be done. Then I said if Pinellas County doesn’t want to do it, come on up to Pasco County because they will. Suddenly, I heard the clerk say, we can do it. Apparently, they didn’t want to lose the fee they get to keep for every registration they process. If you wish to discuss this, send me a PM with a phone number and a convenient time to call and I will go over the process in detail.
Hi there! I am not in Florida because I’m in Oregon😉 Seriously though: I am an RN and started travel nursing I’m march 2017. I own a home in St Pete that I have lived in since 2001. Last year, I started travel nursing, which basically nconsists of contracting with hospitals all over the US that have seasonal/temporary/emergent need for RNs. The average contract is 13 weeks. I started in NC to be close to home in case it didn’t work out for me, always with the goal of heading West. In July I contracted with a hospital in Upstate SC because the pay package was excellent and I couldn’t say no. November I cross countried to Oregon and liked it so much I extended my contract for an additional 3 months, which takes me into the first week of May. I don’t know when I will physically be in FL again but am hoping to return in fall/winter this year to sell my home. I love this travel gig. So, that’s why I’m not in Florida. HOWEVER, I thought it would be wise to go with a mail forwarding service in fl which will give me a fl address, since my DL, van, and banking is all in Florida. It just seemed easier to register a TT in Florida as well. Long term, I can see myself doing a winter contract in Florida every year or two. Would love to talk to you and am currently trying to figure out how to PM you! 😉
Old 02-27-2018, 07:49 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Click on his name and it will be revealed.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2018, 08:21 PM   #19

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Click on his name and it will be revealed.
I finally figured it out, thanks! Just takes me a bit longer as I have bad tech juju 😀
Old 02-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 5.0
I live in St Lucie county. I registered my 5.0TA last Friday in Fort Pierce. All they need is the Orientation Certificate and the Bill of Sale. They had to ask around the office to confirm they did not need to inspect the trailer. The whole process took about 15 minutes. I think it may be a lack of knowledge in some offices.
rgds Kevin
kfsmith is offline   Reply With Quote