Geico insurance quote - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-25-2017, 03:54 PM   #1
LJY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nor, California
Trailer: 2017 Escape
Posts: 239
Geico insurance quote

Hi,

I was getting a quote for our new 2017 Escape 21 from Geico and they said they don't know about the Escape 21 and found a model called "Escape 180qb" which they based their quote on.

For those with Geico insurance is this the correct model?
also, I noticed the quote had "Collision Total Loss RC" as Not Included.
I'm not sure what that means...
The quote was so cheap for 6 months including a new tow vehicle that makes me wonder what's missing..

Thanks,
__________________

LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
dfandrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A -- "The Pullman"
Posts: 1,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
Hi,

I was getting a quote for our new 2017 Escape 21 from Geico and they said they don't know about the Escape 21 and found a model called "Escape 180qb" which they based their quote on.

For those with Geico insurance is this the correct model?
also, I noticed the quote had "Collision Total Loss RC" as Not Included.
I'm not sure what that means...
The quote was so cheap for 6 months including a new tow vehicle that makes me wonder what's missing..
Thanks,
The "Escape 180qb" is a different manufacturer's (Kx Spree) model.
We took our Build Sheet (not even the final, signed one) to our agent (happened to be AAA), and they gave us a quote, including total loss replacement, based on the items and prices on the build sheet. The agent wasn't aware of Escape Trailer Industries until then.
Later, we took our signed build sheet with final amounts to AAA, paid, and had insurance when we went to pick up our trailer.
Price w/AAA was competitive, but not an unusually low bargain rate. AAA knows about Escapes now!
__________________

__________________
Don & Teresa
2015 17A: 2011 Honda Pilot
In Orbe Terrum Non Visi / RLTW
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:42 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
fudge_brownie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Janesville, WI, Wisconsin
Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Posts: 1,457
I think you want to run away from that quote from Geico. Great rates but as with any insurance the issues come to a head during the claim process. What ever you do, do not get get into an accident with another Geico insuree. You get to split the deductible. Since they have such a large market share, you have a good chance.

The most important part of your coverage will be how they determine replacement value. There are many other insurers that will give you a better chance of a fair value. I am not sure Geico would be a carrier responsive to you bringing in sale prices of used Escapes, in an effort to show replacement value.

You went with the little guy when you bought Escape, maybe that is the best approach for insurance?
__________________
Paul and Janet Braun
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 now 2012 Toyota Sequoia V8
Escape 19' 2010 now 2014 Escape 21'
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:49 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ,, Oklahoma
Trailer: 17
Posts: 812
State farm pulled ours up with the vin# I think it was did they ask for that?
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Mtns of NC, North Carolina
Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Posts: 261
No, the 18QB is a stick built Starcraft.

A small niche manufacturer like Escape is not yet showing up on some screens. I had a similar problem at the NC DMV last week.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
I was getting a quote for our new 2017 Escape 21 from Geico and they said they don't know about the Escape 21 and found a model called "Escape 180qb" which they based their quote on.

For those with Geico insurance is this the correct model?
Regardless of the insurance company, this is absolutely not the correct model. The Escape E180QB is part of the Escape brand from KZ, a Thor company - not Starcraft RV, but more importantly completely unrelated to Escape Trailer Industries.

A 2017 Escape (any model) should show up in searches by VIN in government databases, but insurance companies could be using any database. An Escape with a model year before 2016 would not have appeared in U.S. government databases, although someone searching for just the manufacturer (regardless of year) should now be able to find Escape.
Examples:
If Escape can provide the VIN of your specific trailer (even though it has not been manufactured yet, they have likely assigned the VIN), an insurance company should be able to search using that VIN and find exactly the right trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:38 PM   #7
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,755
Is model that important vs amount of coverage. seems to me coverage for a $30k trailer, regardless of who makes it, should cover your Escape for damage or replacement.
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #8
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,479
This is pretty common. Good Sam (they use progressive for the actual coverage) didn't know what my Escape was either, and sent me a quote with a KZ Spree Escape as the make/model. I corrected them by referring them to the website. They changed it to reflect the make as Escape and the model as "19".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:23 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Is model that important vs amount of coverage. seems to me coverage for a $30k trailer, regardless of who makes it, should cover your Escape for damage or replacement.
If the trailer needs repair, the cost of repair may be quite different for two differently-constructed trailers which sell for the same price. Even if it is a total-loss event (so they're just paying out the value of the trailer), the likelihood of loss can depend on construction - similar damage may be repairable on one trailer and not on another. For theft, the probability of theft will depend on the make and model, between trailers of the same selling price.

All of these factors (and others) explain why two cars of the same selling price have different insurance premiums - regardless of the type of vehicle, insurance premiums are all about the probability and value of claims. I don't know how many - if any - of these factors are actually considered for travel trailers, which are a tiny piece of the insurance business.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:56 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,806
Where you live and even your credit rating also affect your insurance premium.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:11 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
WLYBGR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
Hi,

I was getting a quote for our new 2017 Escape 21 from Geico and they said they don't know about the Escape 21 and found a model called "Escape 180qb" which they based their quote on.

For those with Geico insurance is this the correct model?
also, I noticed the quote had "Collision Total Loss RC" as Not Included.
I'm not sure what that means...
The quote was so cheap for 6 months including a new tow vehicle that makes me wonder what's missing..

Thanks,
I am with Wawnesa Canada-Elite insurance.They couldnot get there head around a n Escape trailer made in Chilliwack.So i sent a copy of the bill of sale & pictures of the trailer .Your lucky to get 6 months ins.Can't get it here even though the trailer is parked right in my yard....
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:28 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYBGR View Post
I am with Wawnesa Canada-Elite insurance.They couldnot get there head around a n Escape trailer made in Chilliwack.So i sent a copy of the bill of sale & pictures of the trailer .Your lucky to get 6 months ins.Can't get it here even though the trailer is parked right in my yard....
I am just north of you near Edmonton and had only to make a quick call to my insurance company (Meloche-Monnex) to get full replacement insurance for my Escape at a reasonable price. Not all insurance companies are the same. If you are having difficulties, call around, there is always someone offering a product that works.
__________________
2013 19' \ 2013 15B, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:03 AM   #13
LJY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nor, California
Trailer: 2017 Escape
Posts: 239
Thanks everyone. I got a replacement value quote from Progressive and it was about twice as much.. still not too bad.
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:44 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Oldtimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: DFW, Texas
Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Posts: 557
When it comes to Geico, one should RUN as fast as you can from them. They take your money and screw you over when you try to make a claim far worse than the other companies out there.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ,, Oklahoma
Trailer: 17
Posts: 812
What type of claim Oldtimer?
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:33 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Oldtimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: DFW, Texas
Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Posts: 557
Collision claims I only use State Farm but have had friends and relatives that had used them n had to fight them on claims tooth n nail they try to low ball major. Granted all of them do but Geico try's to give a a third of the cost on losses n if you don't know how to deal with them they take u to the cleaners. I've always gotten fair offers from State Farm and others that my children use but I'd stay clear of geico but then that's just been my experience with them.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:29 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
fudge_brownie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Janesville, WI, Wisconsin
Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Posts: 1,457
Since a travel trailer in an accident is frequently going to be totaled by an insurance company, the replacement value will be critical in any insurance claim. Most insurance companies will not offer a stated value policy. The reason being most RVs, like autos, take a huge dip in value after driving off the lot. So policies are set to pay fair market value. As a result you are at the mercy of the company to establish fair market value.

I just believe that dealing with a company that offers a claims examiner that you can meet and talk with, a local agent rather than a web site and a company that is local or regional to my part of the country is all good. Hopefully, it will increase my chances of getting a fair settlement. Now, this is not a guarantee but I like the better odds.

There are some other considerations you should make when purchasing insurance. What about towing and/or road side assistance? The recent thread on changing a tire in freezing rain, darkness, busy interstate and on the drivers side would have had a happier solution by having a tow driver do the repair. Also, does your tow vehicle insurance cover the RV towing if the tow breaks down. This scenario requires two tow trucks.

Finally, it is good to check that any policy offers coverage while stored. Particularly if you store off your property.
__________________
Paul and Janet Braun
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 now 2012 Toyota Sequoia V8
Escape 19' 2010 now 2014 Escape 21'
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:59 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 5,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Since a travel trailer in an accident is frequently going to be totaled by an insurance company, the replacement value will be critical in any insurance claim. Most insurance companies will not offer a stated value policy. The reason being most RVs, like autos, take a huge dip in value after driving off the lot. So policies are set to pay fair market value. As a result you are at the mercy of the company to establish fair market value.

I just believe that dealing with a company that offers a claims examiner that you can meet and talk with, a local agent rather than a web site and a company that is local or regional to my part of the country is all good. Hopefully, it will increase my chances of getting a fair settlement. Now, this is not a guarantee but I like the better odds.

There are some other considerations you should make when purchasing insurance. What about towing and/or road side assistance? The recent thread on changing a tire in freezing rain, darkness, busy interstate and on the drivers side would have had a happier solution by having a tow driver do the repair. Also, does your tow vehicle insurance cover the RV towing if the tow breaks down. This scenario requires two tow trucks.

Finally, it is good to check that any policy offers coverage while stored. Particularly if you store off your property.
If you pay for full replacement value, which mostly some "RV" insurance companies tend to offer, you will get a brand new trailer exactly as it came from the factory, at least in the first five years or whatever number of years that company offers.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:15 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
GregandTeresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lewisburg, Tennessee
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
If you pay for full replacement value, which mostly some "RV" insurance companies tend to offer, you will get a brand new trailer exactly as it came from the factory, at least in the first five years or whatever number of years that company offers.
That is what we did, with Progressive. It costs us $36 per month. Seemed reasonable to me for that peace of mind.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:53 PM   #20
LJY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nor, California
Trailer: 2017 Escape
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
That is what we did, with Progressive. It costs us $36 per month. Seemed reasonable to me for that peace of mind.
$36 in addition to policy? or $36 a month for the whole policy?
__________________

LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×