Geico insurance quote - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Geico insurance quote

Hi,

I was getting a quote for our new 2017 Escape 21 from Geico and they said they don't know about the Escape 21 and found a model called "Escape 180qb" which they based their quote on.

For those with Geico insurance is this the correct model?
also, I noticed the quote had "Collision Total Loss RC" as Not Included.
I'm not sure what that means...
The quote was so cheap for 6 months including a new tow vehicle that makes me wonder what's missing..

Thanks,
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
Hi,

I was getting a quote for our new 2017 Escape 21 from Geico and they said they don't know about the Escape 21 and found a model called "Escape 180qb" which they based their quote on.

The quote was so cheap for 6 months including a new tow vehicle that makes me wonder what's missing..
Thanks,
The "Escape 180qb" is a different manufacturer's (Kx Spree) model.
We took our Build Sheet (not even the final, signed one) to our agent (happened to be AAA), and they gave us a quote, including total loss replacement, based on the items and prices on the build sheet. The agent wasn't aware of Escape Trailer Industries until then.
Later, we took our signed build sheet with final amounts to AAA, paid, and had insurance when we went to pick up our trailer.
Price w/AAA was competitive, but not an unusually low bargain rate. AAA knows about Escapes now!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:42 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I think you want to run away from that quote from Geico. Great rates but as with any insurance the issues come to a head during the claim process. What ever you do, do not get get into an accident with another Geico insuree. You get to split the deductible. Since they have such a large market share, you have a good chance.

The most important part of your coverage will be how they determine replacement value. There are many other insurers that will give you a better chance of a fair value. I am not sure Geico would be a carrier responsive to you bringing in sale prices of used Escapes, in an effort to show replacement value.

You went with the little guy when you bought Escape, maybe that is the best approach for insurance?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 17
State farm pulled ours up with the vin# I think it was did they ask for that?
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
No, the 18QB is a stick built Starcraft.

A small niche manufacturer like Escape is not yet showing up on some screens. I had a similar problem at the NC DMV last week.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:

Regardless of the insurance company, this is absolutely not the correct model. The Escape E180QB is part of the Escape brand from KZ, a Thor company - not Starcraft RV, but more importantly completely unrelated to Escape Trailer Industries.

A 2017 Escape (any model) should show up in searches by VIN in government databases, but insurance companies could be using any database. An Escape with a model year before 2016 would not have appeared in U.S. government databases, although someone searching for just the manufacturer (regardless of year) should now be able to find Escape.
Examples:
If Escape can provide the VIN of your specific trailer (even though it has not been manufactured yet, they have likely assigned the VIN), an insurance company should be able to search using that VIN and find exactly the right trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:38 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Is model that important vs amount of coverage. seems to me coverage for a $30k trailer, regardless of who makes it, should cover your Escape for damage or replacement.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:47 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
This is pretty common. Good Sam (they use progressive for the actual coverage) didn't know what my Escape was either, and sent me a quote with a KZ Spree Escape as the make/model. I corrected them by referring them to the website. They changed it to reflect the make as Escape and the model as "19".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2017, 07:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Is model that important vs amount of coverage. seems to me coverage for a $30k trailer, regardless of who makes it, should cover your Escape for damage or replacement.
If the trailer needs repair, the cost of repair may be quite different for two differently-constructed trailers which sell for the same price. Even if it is a total-loss event (so they're just paying out the value of the trailer), the likelihood of loss can depend on construction - similar damage may be repairable on one trailer and not on another. For theft, the probability of theft will depend on the make and model, between trailers of the same selling price.

All of these factors (and others) explain why two cars of the same selling price have different insurance premiums - regardless of the type of vehicle, insurance premiums are all about the probability and value of claims. I don't know how many - if any - of these factors are actually considered for travel trailers, which are a tiny piece of the insurance business.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Where you live and even your credit rating also affect your insurance premium.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:11 AM   #11

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks,
I am with Wawnesa Canada-Elite insurance.They couldnot get there head around a n Escape trailer made in Chilliwack.So i sent a copy of the bill of sale & pictures of the trailer .Your lucky to get 6 months ins.Can't get it here even though the trailer is parked right in my yard....
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYBGR View Post
I am with Wawnesa Canada-Elite insurance.They couldnot get there head around a n Escape trailer made in Chilliwack.So i sent a copy of the bill of sale & pictures of the trailer .Your lucky to get 6 months ins.Can't get it here even though the trailer is parked right in my yard....
I am just north of you near Edmonton and had only to make a quick call to my insurance company (Meloche-Monnex) to get full replacement insurance for my Escape at a reasonable price. Not all insurance companies are the same. If you are having difficulties, call around, there is always someone offering a product that works.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:03 AM   #13
LJY

Thanks everyone. I got a replacement value quote from Progressive and it was about twice as much.. still not too bad.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:44 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
When it comes to Geico, one should RUN as fast as you can from them. They take your money and screw you over when you try to make a claim far worse than the other companies out there.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:00 AM   #15

Trailer: 17
What type of claim Oldtimer?
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:33 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Collision claims I only use State Farm but have had friends and relatives that had used them n had to fight them on claims tooth n nail they try to low ball major. Granted all of them do but Geico try's to give a a third of the cost on losses n if you don't know how to deal with them they take u to the cleaners. I've always gotten fair offers from State Farm and others that my children use but I'd stay clear of geico but then that's just been my experience with them.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Since a travel trailer in an accident is frequently going to be totaled by an insurance company, the replacement value will be critical in any insurance claim. Most insurance companies will not offer a stated value policy. The reason being most RVs, like autos, take a huge dip in value after driving off the lot. So policies are set to pay fair market value. As a result you are at the mercy of the company to establish fair market value.

I just believe that dealing with a company that offers a claims examiner that you can meet and talk with, a local agent rather than a web site and a company that is local or regional to my part of the country is all good. Hopefully, it will increase my chances of getting a fair settlement. Now, this is not a guarantee but I like the better odds.

There are some other considerations you should make when purchasing insurance. What about towing and/or road side assistance? The recent thread on changing a tire in freezing rain, darkness, busy interstate and on the drivers side would have had a happier solution by having a tow driver do the repair. Also, does your tow vehicle insurance cover the RV towing if the tow breaks down. This scenario requires two tow trucks.

Finally, it is good to check that any policy offers coverage while stored. Particularly if you store off your property.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Since a travel trailer in an accident is frequently going to be totaled by an insurance company, the replacement value will be critical in any insurance claim. Most insurance companies will not offer a stated value policy. The reason being most RVs, like autos, take a huge dip in value after driving off the lot. So policies are set to pay fair market value. As a result you are at the mercy of the company to establish fair market value.

I just believe that dealing with a company that offers a claims examiner that you can meet and talk with, a local agent rather than a web site and a company that is local or regional to my part of the country is all good. Hopefully, it will increase my chances of getting a fair settlement. Now, this is not a guarantee but I like the better odds.

There are some other considerations you should make when purchasing insurance. What about towing and/or road side assistance? The recent thread on changing a tire in freezing rain, darkness, busy interstate and on the drivers side would have had a happier solution by having a tow driver do the repair. Also, does your tow vehicle insurance cover the RV towing if the tow breaks down. This scenario requires two tow trucks.

Finally, it is good to check that any policy offers coverage while stored. Particularly if you store off your property.
If you pay for full replacement value, which mostly some "RV" insurance companies tend to offer, you will get a brand new trailer exactly as it came from the factory, at least in the first five years or whatever number of years that company offers.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
If you pay for full replacement value, which mostly some "RV" insurance companies tend to offer, you will get a brand new trailer exactly as it came from the factory, at least in the first five years or whatever number of years that company offers.
That is what we did, with Progressive. It costs us $36 per month. Seemed reasonable to me for that peace of mind.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #20
LJY

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
That is what we did, with Progressive. It costs us $36 per month. Seemed reasonable to me for that peace of mind.
$36 in addition to policy? or $36 a month for the whole policy?