Getting licensed in California - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2016, 10:02 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldwalker View Post
We are picking up our 21 end of February and are holding our breathe thinking about DMV. We registered our, now re-homed, Casita in Woodland, Ca., home base and it took 6 trips before they could figure out how to register a trailer from Texas! California requires an inspection by our local police for VIN number, that was easy and pleasant and then DMV first issued us a PTR, then called us back, for mistake, then charged us an incorrect registration amount, called us back,and it just got worse from there. Maybe we will need to call around to California DMVs till we find one that is familiar with out of country registration.
California is a beautiful state, but this among many other issues is why I left the state for retirement. I don't understand why everything needs to be so difficult and expensive!
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:06 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We took SantaCruzer's advice too and stopped in Alturas on our way back. Although it was a nice & small DMV we felt lucky that a Supervisor from the Redding office was subbing for a few days as she definitely knew what was needed. She did inspect the VIN and measure the trailer.

Also, I believe that you have ten days to register after entering CA- not from trailer pickup. It was almost three weeks when we registered and there was no mention of being late. There was a minor glitch in that the import document was a copy, and I was on the phone to ETI while at the counter, however the DMV clerk said it would probably be ok and it was.
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:47 AM   #23

Trailer: 2016 21'
Unbelievable story Wldwalker! Yep. I always feel nervous when I deal with the DMV. It can go so easily you can't believe it. OR, it can turn out like you describe. You'd think you were committing a crime to bring a trailer from out of state! Right now I'm thinking I won't bother with the permit and will register in Crescent City, as soon as we enter CA. I am very interested in your experience. Give us... the rest of the story when you return!
Maury&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:37 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Registering in California

We left California to get our trailer with no temporary permit . Canadians staying at the Lynden KOA thought that was crazy. Traveled 1000 plus miles home with no problems. ( when traveling much slower than traffic many law enforcement will pass you) Went to my local Petaluma DMV a week after our return. Made an appointment with DMV and brought all the provided Escape documents. They even had a nice parking spot for me . All went completly smooth .Got my plates soon after.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:58 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
I can't imagine why one would have to have the police check the VIN...I went to the Carmichael, CA DMV and basically sailed through.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:57 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I was nervous about towing a trailer with no plate 2,300 miles across the country but we never had a problem or were questioned by anyone. Just be sure to have all of your paperwork with you. My biggest concern was going through some small town where the highway is the main source of income. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:03 PM   #27

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
I bought the temp permit too, which was good for three days, and only in Washington State. Taped it to the Escape's rear tinted window, hard to really see, and towed my new trailer home to N.J. 3,000 miles with no plate. Even went camping a few weekends once home still with no plate, while I waited for my plate. Have all your paperwork neat and in order.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:25 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
CA registration as of the fall of 2015:
Required: Form "REG 31 - Verification of Vehicle" is required. It is to be filled out by "an authorized DMV representative, CA licensed vehicle verifier, authorized auto club employee, or peace officer who has been properly trained to perform vehicle verifications while PHYSICALLY inspecting complete and assembled vehicles."
The quote, including bold and caps., was from the top of the form.
There are sections on the form for mfr., model, length, width, and VIN.

Then, you fill out "REG 343 - Application for Title or Registration."

So, it's those two forms, one of which you can fill out.
Other than that, different offices have personnel with a variety of comfort levels at being responsible for what they, themselves, approve.
It is best to take all of your documents, and be as helpful and polite as possible.

CA gives you 20 days from the date the trailer first entered CA to register. We camped for 2˝ weeks in WA and OR before returning to CA. We had no permit, just all of our documents from ETI and the U.S. DHS "Entry Summary", that was stamped "RELEASED". It had the date, description of the mfr., the trailer, the VIN, and our names as ultimate consignee.

CA DMV website has an on-line fees calculator. I did it beforehand, and it was, to the penny, what they charged me.

You'll do fine; just allow lots of time.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:02 PM   #29

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Thanks Don, and all who have contributed to this thread. We don't pick up until April, but my plan has always been to enjoy our return trip to CA. We have never been to the
Olympic Peninsula or the Oregon Coast, and look forward to the Spring NOG. We will carry all our ID, including passports and all ETI documentation. Within 18-19 days, we will be back in CA, make an appt. at the Eureka DMV and be as polite and patient as humanly possible. Just as Don says, "I think we'll do fine".

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:11 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Thanks Don, and all who have contributed to this thread. We don't pick up until April, but my plan has always been to enjoy our return trip to CA. We have never been to the
Olympic Peninsula or the Oregon Coast, and look forward to the Spring NOG. We will carry all our ID, including passports and all ETI documentation. Within 18-19 days, we will be back in CA, make an appt. at the Eureka DMV and be as polite and patient as humanly possible. Just as Don says, "I think we'll do fine".
You will be . Never thought to not come back to California before the pick up in Sumas . Just worried about the 20 days or I would have done the same . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:54 PM   #31

I might add, We have two days reserved near Eureka.........one entire day at DMV and one day for hangover recovery after late night celebration for making it through DMV .........

Old 02-01-2016, 08:23 PM   #32
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
DMV told us they couldn't do anything until they saw the trailer--just keep your papers on hand. We traveled about a month down the Washington, Oregon coastline and we were in no hurry to check in and pay the tax man! Made an on-line appointment once we were home, took our trailer down, and we were out of there in about 30 minutes with our plates and tags. Couldn't use our credit card, had to write a check.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:52 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Ah yes, our DMV offices. Synonymous with a bad case of hemorrhoids. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:27 AM   #34

Even though we're buying the trailer from a company in Canada, we take possession of the trailer in the U.S.. This seems significant to me. We didn't import the trailer, ETI exported the trailer. Is this something we should emphasize with DMV, or irrelevant and/or just more confusing to DMV?

Old 02-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #35
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Even though we're buying the trailer from a company in Canada, we take possession of the trailer in the U.S.. This seems significant to me. We didn't import the trailer, ETI exported the trailer. Is this something we should emphasize with DMV, or irrelevant and/or just more confusing to DMV?
Well said! No different than many vehicles we drive in the US, more or less....
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Exactly right. My CRV was made in Ontario but I picked it up off the lot in Toledo and there was no hassle with the DMV.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:06 AM   #37

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Steve,
When we were there, I just handed them the stack of papers. I started to explain what was what, and got a wave-off. Two of the three people we talked with gave us the indication (one in so many words) that They are the experts, do this all the time, and to let them do their job. The lady who didn't give that indication was the most knowledgeable and the most pleasant.
We mostly smiled, said thank you, and answered specific questions.

I do like the idea of a celebration party when it's all over.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Actually you did import the trailer, as ETI would not export it unless you imported it. That said there is a "tariff" on imports, here in Pennsylvania it is the same rate as the sales tax, which it is in most states. In both prior Escape purchases, someone from the state contacted me and questioned if the tariff had been paid. I told them to check with DMV and verify that the sales tax had been paid, case closed. My point being, either way, they will get your money....
Old 02-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #39

Excellent advice from all. And Jim, thanks. That makes sense on the export/import issue.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
You are the importer of the trailer, I believe. Yes, they exported it and they took it to the border so that when they turned it over to you, not only had it been imported by you into the U.S., but they have the paperwork to show that. They then can prove that they did not have to collect taxes from you as the trailer has been properly imported into the U.S. by Americans. Yes, of course they exported it, but you are the importer. Someone can look at their paperwork to verify that.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote