Good Sam "VIP" Insurance (Vehicle Insurance Plan) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2018, 10:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 21' 2018
Good Sam "VIP" Insurance (Vehicle Insurance Plan)

Edit: I wrote up an essay of my experience with Good Sam today, but deleted as I don't think it's necessary.

Today Good Sam gave me a quote of their own insurance as the best option, and the plan was great, but I have read conflicting things about National General who is the actual insurer if the internet is to be believed, and I'm not even really sure that they even got quotes from any other companies. There were also some small red flags that made me a bit uncomfortable. Does anyone have experience with Good Sam "VIP Insurance" or insurance with National General?

With Progressive online I can get a similar full replacement policy with a $2500 deductible vs the $500 with Good Sam, but either plan has disappearing deductibles with a 25% reduction each accident free year. If Good Sam/National General is as iffy as I'm gathering, I'll take the higher deductible. State Farm has a comparable premium but without full replacement cost.

Arguing an insurance claim gives me ulcers, I would appreciate any input on how these companies treat the claims process.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
There are other brokers for a number of companies so you can just call another broker and get a quote for Progressive or whatever company you want. Some of the companies will not insure the trailer unless your car is with them, and various other problems. No telling if Good Sam (their insurance being National General, which you found) is just always pushing their own or what.

We had an unusual situation regarding the full replacement because we had moved. Different states have different requirements, and a company may sell in some states and not others. Some companies will not pick you up for full replacement if it is more than 13 months after you bought the trailer. Some will not do full replacement for five years.

It is not clear to me whether the deductible has anything to do with full replacement or is for other claims. You might ask but then if you had a need to have full replacement and they were taking care of that, the deductible would probably not matter to you. If it is for other claims, that would matter, I would think.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21'
We had National General thru Good Sam's, and they gave us full replacement value when I totaled my Lil Snoozy. I bought it used and they applied the value of a new Snoozy to my Escape 21 that I will pick up in July. We had no problems at all with the insurance company. My options were to buy a new trailer, or they would give me the depreciated value - which was about 1/2 the new cost.
Ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Worst thing about Good Sam is the endless amount of junk mail you get from them. I wonder if they are keeping the post office in business. We get st least two letters a week from them.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I've wondered about changing from State Farm to another insurer. This post gave me the incentive to get a Good Sam quote. While the coverage is different, SF does not have full replacement, both at $500 deductible, the annual cost was $670 more per year for Good Sam.

I'll check around and see what others have to offer.
Mary LG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
State Farm has yet to figure out our trailer. They still think it is a cheap stickie. I even talked to them and asked “google Escape 19 and the first hit is my trailer”. They are idiots if it’s not on their system it doesn’t exist. So if you stick with State Farm ask them what they think your trailer is worth.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I have State Farm thinking about switching to progressive quote about 500 for replacement
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 E19
I had National General via GS for a short time. For me it was a bad fit, but that's due to my special circumstance. I was insuring two motor vehicles, one stickie, and one cargo trailer. They assured me at the start, in answer to my query, that covering the cargo trailer used for business would be no problem. But when I received my papers (and being a law school grad I read everything) I saw that a business use trailer was specifically excluded. Here I was, hauling a cargo trailer around every day with my SUV for work purposes! So I switched to another company.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 19' Escape "Cattyshack"
We use Overland Insurance Services a broker in Arizona who have access to a number of insurance companies. Friends of ours recommended them. They started us on Progressive but when they raised rates they had us switch to Foremost. I can highly recommend them, they don't charge for their services and are licensed in all states except Hawaii. 800-677-4027, www.rvins.com
NCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 21' 2018
Goodness, I had a two hour conversation with my husband about insurance, then forgot to check back!

Ripple, your story was the most positive (aside from totaling your camper!) I've read on National General. I'm glad it's gone well for y'all. I've read some positive stories, but the reviews on Yelp are horrifying! I don't know if I can overcome my hesitation!

If experiences are good with Progressive, I'd just as soon go with them as the quotes are close enough to me to pay for the peace of mind. If rates go up, that may change.

Any personal or secondhand stories of Progressive camper claims?