Help/Ideas wanted for snag w/ title&registration N.J. - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2015, 01:10 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRINGOandTICA View Post
While towing back home am I required to stop at weigh stations, or it the just for commercial carriers?
Everywhere I've seen, only commercial vehicles are required to stop at scales. That may not be true everywhere... it would be worth checking for someone with a large rig, but I wouldn't bother with any normal tug and an Escape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Hmm, I wonder about those big diesel pushers.
Even though large motorhomes (including mine, which is neither diesel nor rear-engined, and half the weight of the biggest ones) are heavy enough that they should be regulated as commercial vehicles, anything used as a recreational vehicle is normally an exception.

So, if a truck (even empty and not being used by a business) and a motorhome are the same length and both weigh ten tons,
  • the truck requires commercial registration, must display tare and gross weight on the side, and can only be driven by someone with a commercial license (Class 3 here in Alberta)... and must stop at scales, but
  • the motorhome gets ordinary vehicle registration, has no identification requirements, and can be driven by anyone with an ordinary license (Class 5 here)... and is not required to stop at scales.
It's the same with a tug and trailer. Even if the combination is over the provincial or state threshold for commercial vehicles (many Escapes would not be), it's an RV and not a commercial rig. There are specific definitions of what constitutes an "RV", but any Escape qualifies.

This is why some big tugs for RVs that look they are likely commercial vehicles have "Not for Hire" or "Recreational Vehicle" lettered on the side... it's not required, but the owner is trying to avoid inspection requests, or explain to law enforcement officers why the rig is bypassing the scales.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:34 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickheadhunter View Post
When in reality the tax code in these states is a scam!
Hi Slick- you think its bad here? Whaddya think our friends north of the border pay? The Crown gives a royal wallop there; heck they even dinged us 20% VAT in UK after we sent our daughter going to school there a replacement laptop for the one that broke on her.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:44 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
LLCs pay annual fees, at least in California, and are also required to file income tax statements, involving things like assets, depreciation, income...all the normal biz stuff. I suppose what has been suggested can be done, but am not sure how one would handle matters like insurance, especially liability when towing, which is normally covered under one's persoanl auto policy. I'm part owner of an LLC here in California, and I'm pretty sure our tax person, who's an Enrolled Agent, would roll her eyes if I suggested doing this. Maybe not. Perhaps one of our CPAs here could clarify things.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #44
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Registering to an LLC, while it's true that sales tax is generally due in your home state, that depends on the use tax association and other rules based on your state of residence. While it won't work for some states (like Louisiana), it works perfectly in Texas. Have several RV friends who have done so. It's important to research all the ramifications of such a licensing arrangement before you do it. Luckily, most LLC registration services in MT have done the research for you. You can decide beforehand if the deal makes financial sense. In Texas' case, it often does.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:25 PM   #45

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If I had it to do over again, and I lived in a high Sales Tax and/or 'difficult to register an imported trailer' State, I'd probably form an LLC in either Montana or Wyoming, and register the trailer to the LLC. You'd then just assign use of the trailer to yourself as the owner of the LLC.

There are several companies in both states that will form the LLC for you, get the trailer registered, and mail you the plates. The cost of such a service is very low, and you pay NO sales tax, NO property tax, and a very low registration fee - typically $25 or less.

We figure we would have paid about $2000 less going this way. Of course, if you're financing, the finance company has to agree to allow such a registration, and that is sometimes a sticking point.
Wish we could of done that in California we had to pay almost 2400 in taxes . Not happy about it . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:37 PM   #46

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hi Slick- you think its bad here? Whaddya think our friends north of the border pay? The Crown gives a royal wallop there; heck they even dinged us 20% VAT in UK after we sent our daughter going to school there a replacement laptop for the one that broke on her.
By friends north of the border, I assume that you are talking about us Canadians eh. Purchase of an Escape is subject to the federal goods and services tax of 5% plus any provincial taxes. Because I am from Alberta where there is currently no provincial sales tax, I only paid the GST on my purchase. Other provinces, including BC have a pretty significant provincial sales tax that gets added on for their residents purchases.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:11 PM   #47

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
ETI put the price paid for the trailer in US dollars on my Bill of Sale. There should be no question, or using a later conversion rate. It's what you paid for it, when you paid for it.

In California, we pay a "Use Tax", the equivalent of sales tax. And, trailers are not considered commercial vehicles here, we don't need to go through weigh stations.
A price given in U.S. dollars is for that day and may be off thousands from what is actually paid.

Americans in many cases do not have the trailer paid for until the day they pick it up, so there is no such number to use from ETI that is correct. In addition, a state does it the way they do it and there is no choice about that. We told our state what we had paid and they did not care, were not going to use it, and that is what others have found in other states. The total cost is given by ETI but payments were usually made at different times at different rates and that may or may not be on the info that ETI provides. Our deposit was not given in U.S. dollars.

A state may use a conversion rate for the day you are registering because they are not going through a bunch of paperwork on a bunch of payments and try to figure it out. And maybe you have not paid it all yet. They would have to have you produce paperwork on all payments. They would have to check the conversion rates on each one. And every place has a different conversion rate so theirs would not match yours.

You are required to pay for the trailer upon completion and that is when some buyers pay. They take a cashier's check or they take one to finish paying. They then may also settle a small remaining amount on a credit card. You cannot know, if you are American, in advance, much less a month in advance, what you owe with the conversion rate changing every day. You estimate before going up and maybe owe some more, maybe not.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I can't complain in NH, no sales tax or state income tax. But some states are a lot worse, I have no idea what Canada is like as far as taxes go.
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:15 PM   #49

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What does NH tax then to pay for roads and bridges? Lobbyists?
Old 07-25-2015, 10:39 PM   #50

Property tax
Old 07-25-2015, 11:06 PM   #51

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What does NH tax then to pay for roads and bridges? Lobbyists?

But seriously: fuel. (and in general, not specifically for roads, likely businesses)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:20 PM   #52

Every individual town has a portion of there property tax that goes to road and bridge repair in that town. Federal money is used for interstate highways and bridges on those roads.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:16 AM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Property taxes can be really high in the US, at least in some parts. My wife's brother, in New Jersey pays well over $30k a year for property taxes. NJ has not state tax, I believe.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:24 AM   #54

30k?
And I thought 4800 was a lot!
Old 07-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #55

To be fair, they do have their own police force. When we visited, I was surprised to see the garbage collectors come with carts to the back yard to get the trash, as is was not allowed to be on the street, THEN they brought a broom and swept up the wee bits of litter around the bins. That certainly is not happening in my neighbourhood. Plus, they bought there for the school system too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-26-2015, 08:56 AM   #56

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Property versus sales taxes, income versus school taxes, Gasoline and road taxes versus telephone and cable taxes, Maryland even has a rain tax. Call it what you want, all of these "taxes" are a part of supporting our infrastructure where we live. Add them all up for a year and you may be surprised.........
Old 07-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #57
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
How about them Bears?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #58

I love grizzly bears.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #59

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
To be fair, they do have their own police force. When we visited, I was surprised to see the garbage collectors come with carts to the back yard to get the trash, as is was not allowed to be on the street, THEN they brought a broom and swept up the wee bits of litter around the bins. That certainly is not happening in my neighbourhood. Plus, they bought there for the school system too.
Sounds a lot like my hometown. A good share of the tax bill goes towards schools. We had paid police and fire. It ran the average homeowner the price of a cup of coffee a day.

NJ's DMV, called an MVC is a mess.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRINGOandTICA View Post
Sounds a lot like my hometown. A good share of the tax bill goes towards schools. We had paid police and fire. It ran the average homeowner the price of a cup of coffee a day.

NJ's DMV, called an MVC is a mess.
I know NJ is big, but you may know where they live, Mountain Lakes.