Help/Ideas wanted for snag w/ title&registration N.J. - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2015, 03:17 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for 4th Maiden Voyage
Well I might be in for a big surprise when I register my trailer. I'll find out in later October. Wonder if I could get away with claiming my trailer as a commercial vehicle?

Old 07-25-2015, 09:29 AM   #32

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
While towing back home am I required to stop at weigh stations, or it the just for commercial carriers?

GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #33
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRINGOandTICA View Post
While towing back home am I required to stop at weigh stations, or it the just for commercial carriers?
I don't stop and nobody has ever stopped me.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #34

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I don't think you'd be appreciated between a long line of semis, and if they want you, they will come and get you. Hmm, I wonder about those big diesel pushers. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:28 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
ETI put the price paid for the trailer in US dollars on my Bill of Sale. There should be no question, or using a later conversion rate. It's what you paid for it, when you paid for it.

In California, we pay a "Use Tax", the equivalent of sales tax. And, trailers are not considered commercial vehicles here, we don't need to go through weigh stations.
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
If I had it to do over again, and I lived in a high Sales Tax and/or 'difficult to register an imported trailer' State, I'd probably form an LLC in either Montana or Wyoming, and register the trailer to the LLC. You'd then just assign use of the trailer to yourself as the owner of the LLC.

There are several companies in both states that will form the LLC for you, get the trailer registered, and mail you the plates. The cost of such a service is very low, and you pay NO sales tax, NO property tax, and a very low registration fee - typically $25 or less.

We figure we would have paid about $2000 less going this way. Of course, if you're financing, the finance company has to agree to allow such a registration, and that is sometimes a sticking point.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:26 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I looked into that for my first Escape and SD incorporation but found out only commercial trailers could apply, not rv's. Plus there are yearly fees for a registered agent and so on. Besides these sales/excise taxes are deductible off your income tax return.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:34 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
From NOLO:

When you buy an expensive item of personal property like a top-grade motorhome or RV, the sales tax can be enormous. For example, if you live in Louisiana, which has a 9% sales tax, and purchase a $350,000 motorhome, you’d have to pay over $31,000 in sales taxes. This was the situation faced by a Louisiana taxpayer. However, instead of paying all that sales tax in Louisiana, this taxpayer decided to form a limited liability company (LLC) in Montana, which has no sales taxes. He had the LLC purchase the motorhome in its name and registered it in Montana. He paid no Louisiana sales tax at all. In fact, all he paid was a $174 fee to register the motorhome in Montana.
Did this scheme work? Well, sort of. The Louisiana Department of Revenue found out about the purchase and claimed that the buyer personally owed the state over $30,000 in sales taxes, and tacked on an additional $16,000 in fines and penalties.
Am pretty sure in CA the Franchise Tax Board would be quick to call this structuring a sham.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
When in reality the tax code in these states is a scam!
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Ironic, on both of my Escapes, the Pa Dept of Excise taxes contacted me re: import of a rv from Canada filed by Customs. The excise tax is exactly the same rate as the sales taxes here in Pa, 6%. I told them, in both scenarios to get off their soft office chair and walk downstairs to the sales tax division and they will find out that I paid the sales tax and NO I was not willing to send them copy of my sales tax receipt when they can get it themselves in the same building where they are located. Case closed.