Help/Ideas wanted for snag w/ title&registration N.J. - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2015, 12:04 PM   #61

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
How about them Bears?
Hi: Donna D... Is there a bare tax? Alf
escape artist n.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:46 AM   #62

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Working on the headache called, "NEW JERSEY MVC." My trailer is in storage until tomorrow, so it's not handy to look at right now. When I go to take it out this weekend, I need to take a photograph of the VIN. Can anyone tell me the location or locations I might find this?
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #63

Trailer: 2014 21ft Escape
If I remember it is on the sticker right by the door. I remember having to get that checked for registration. The deputy had our paperwork and we didn't even have to go in the trailer. It is I think a purple and white sticker?
trailseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:07 AM   #64

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailseeker View Post
If I remember it is on the sticker right by the door. I remember having to get that checked for registration. The deputy had our paperwork and we didn't even have to go in the trailer. It is I think a purple and white sticker?

I think I know the sticker. I wonder if the frame is stamped?
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #65

Trailer: 2014 21ft Escape
ok, my husband said it is on the driver's side up front on a metal plate.
Robbie
trailseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:45 AM   #66

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
This is what you are looking for. One on right is inside wardrobe.
Not sure if or where the vin would be stamped on frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Escape wt sticker.jpg   Escape Specs Form.jpg  
Old 09-22-2015, 10:41 PM   #67

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Yesterday I took the paperwork to the Kansas DMV to get the plate for the new trailer and the predicted cat fight started right away. After over a three hour wait, I got to a window and the lady acted like she knew what she was doing but didn't have a clue.

The first demand she made was that all of the options on the build sheet be converted to US dollars. The explanation was that somethings might not be taxable, so they needed a breakdown of every option. I said that it was like a car with a base price and options added and asked her what exchange rate I should use as it is changing every minute. She goes into the back room and after about 10 minutes comes back and says there is no way that the rate they figured back there matched what I paid in US dollars. Several trips to the back room and adding and adding she finally used the dollar figure that I paid in May though it is better now.

There was also a problem as she couldn't find the value of the trailer in any of her sources and after about 45 minutes of bull, she crunched things through and gave me the plate after relieving me of just shy of $3000. And in the end she acted like she knew what she was doing all of the time. It was worse than I thought it would be. But I was wrong on one thing. Vehicles coming in from out of state have to be inspected if they were previously titled. With a certificate of origin, they do not. Oh and yes, at the start she kept asking for the title. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:33 AM   #68

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Yesterday I took the paperwork to the Kansas DMV to get the plate for the new trailer and the predicted cat fight started right away. After over a three hour wait, I got to a window and the lady acted like she knew what she was doing but didn't have a clue.

The first demand she made was that all of the options on the build sheet be converted to US dollars. The explanation was that somethings might not be taxable, so they needed a breakdown of every option. I said that it was like a car with a base price and options added and asked her what exchange rate I should use as it is changing every minute. She goes into the back room and after about 10 minutes comes back and says there is no way that the rate they figured back there matched what I paid in US dollars. Several trips to the back room and adding and adding she finally used the dollar figure that I paid in May though it is better now.

There was also a problem as she couldn't find the value of the trailer in any of her sources and after about 45 minutes of bull, she crunched things through and gave me the plate after relieving me of just shy of $3000. And in the end she acted like she knew what she was doing all of the time. It was worse than I thought it would be. But I was wrong on one thing. Vehicles coming in from out of state have to be inspected if they were previously titled. With a certificate of origin, they do not. Oh and yes, at the start she kept asking for the title. Loren
Sounds familiar. Except we had to go 3 times and about 3 hours each time . The best part ,trailer wasn't even registered but she handed us the plate . Took 3 months before we were legal . I put plate on and didn't care , reasoning you gave it to us . Told us we were the first to have this trailer in California . That's funny Greggo showed us his and we know Hot Fish Taco's also had one and there was others . That's DMV for you . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #69

Trailer: 2009 Casita, 21 ft. escape on order
Returning to Canada with no licence tag

I have a slightly different question about traveling with no licence tag. I would like to return to Canada to attend the 2016 Escape rally after I pick up my 21' trailer in May 2016. Does anyone know the requirenents for reentering Canada with the trailer and then returning to the US when you have no tag?
Cfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #70

Trailer: 2015 escape 19
Went to the DMV here in Michigan this week. 2 hours later and $1800.00 lighter had our plate. Guess we were lucky. 2 weeks until we take possession of our 19
LDRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #71

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Before we picked up our trailer, I checked with DMV in town and was told we would have no problem traveling without plates if we had the proper paperwork from ETI. When we went down to actually register the trailer, we picked a DMV in a small town near here (Hollister). After a short wait, they sent someone out with us to check the VIN and a few other items, had us pay the sales tax on the bottom line cost (converted), and off we went, plates in hand. We actually spent more time talking to the DMV guy about the trailer and how it was made than the registration itself.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:27 PM   #72
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfoster View Post
I have a slightly different question about traveling with no licence tag. I would like to return to Canada to attend the 2016 Escape rally after I pick up my 21' trailer in May 2016. Does anyone know the requirenents for reentering Canada with the trailer and then returning to the US when you have no tag?
Have you checked with Bama DMV? Many states will pre-register a brand new trailer (ETI sends all the needed paperwork) so you may be able to take your plate with you when you pick up. If you pick up in Sumas, WA (US delivery site) ETI will install the plate for you.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #73

Trailer: 2009 Casita, 21 ft. escape on order
Title

Charlie,

Thanks for the suggestion, but the Alabama DMV doesn't issue Tags without a law enforcement officer examining the vehicle.

Cfoster
Cfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:27 PM   #74

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfoster View Post
I think that's been done by some, not sure. But knowing those border folks it might be a lot simpler to simply go and get a Washington state temporary permit. If they have some sort of permit # to put into the system they're probably happier and the crossing might be quicker. The permits are pretty inexpensive.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:10 PM   #75

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, when contemplating the same scenario several years ago, I obtained a Washington travel permit, I believe from Bellingham, WA. Did everything by mail.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #76

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
When ETI sent me all the right paperwork... I went to my nearest DMV for plates, but the dear people behind the counter there refused to register the trailer without seeing it first. So I left. Next day I took the same paperwork to a different DMV some 50 miles away, because that's where Dave told me he got his plates. The good folks there knew their beans and gave me my plates, which the following week, I attached to my trailer in Sumas.

Moral of story? Don't count your beans before they hatch, or, Paperwork is like a box of chocolates....
Old 09-23-2015, 04:51 PM   #77

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Sounds familiar. Except we had to go 3 times and about 3 hours each time . The best part ,trailer wasn't even registered but she handed us the plate . Took 3 months before we were legal . I put plate on and didn't care , reasoning you gave it to us . Told us we were the first to have this trailer in California . That's funny Greggo showed us his and we know Hot Fish Taco's also had one and there was others . That's DMV for you . Pat

True baloney. In 2008 I went to Eureka, CA from Sacramento to see one. (Which was the closest to Sacramento at that time,) and it was currently licensed.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #78

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
[QUOTE=MyronL;111897

Moral of story? Don't count your beans before they hatch, or, Paperwork is like a box of chocolates....[/QUOTE]

Or, if you don't get the right answer just keep asking at other places until you get the right answer. The variation between government offices supposedly operating by the same rule book is amazing.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #79

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: MyronL... Moral of story? Don't hatchet your counts before they chicken!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #80

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape
We are in Palm Beach County in Florida and not having luck with getting registering. What county did you get your registration and tag?
Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote