How to hedge exchange rate? - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #101
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I know with XE I was able to make an offer which floats out there till either it's accepted or you terminate it. Can be set to terminate automatically. Once offer accepted they cut a draft in Canadian $$ at agreed on rate and mailed to ETI no charge for anything.
Not sure if that capability is in knightbridge.
Since the thread topic is about "how to hedge...", it needs to be pointed out that ETI no longer wants to receive money early. So, any sending of direct check, wire, wiring by XE, etc.. is not really "hedging" but just paying at the future exchange rate at the time of payment.
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:22 PM   #102

Trailer: 17
"it needs to be pointed out that ETI no longer wants to receive money early."

Not true for my 2017 next year completion date. Just send it, they will take it.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:56 PM   #103

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
No point in worrying about the exchange rate. Do you want to buy a trailer that you can afford, that provides the quality and customer care that you desire?
Put your order in. You can't control the rate or out-guess the professional money managers and the computers. So, just buy it.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:44 PM   #104
LJY

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post

Not true for my 2017 next year completion date. Just send it, they will take it.
Well... ETI must be telling people different things. Several people and I have been told to not send in money until after production starts.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:48 PM   #105
LJY

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
No point in worrying about the exchange rate. Do you want to buy a trailer that you can afford, that provides the quality and customer care that you desire?
Put your order in. You can't control the rate or out-guess the professional money managers and the computers. So, just buy it.
Hi gbaglo,

Agreed about not worrying about exchange rate, so hence I'm trying to hedge the fluctuations while at a rate I can afford. I think most of RV buyers are all retired and financially independent.. while I'm still aspiring to retire by 45.. so every dollar is especially important for me
Old 05-28-2016, 11:53 PM   #106

It's just that worrying about things you can't control or anticipate may shorten your life-span.
When the doctor asked me if I was under stress ( at work ), I replied, I don't have stress. I cause stress.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:01 AM   #107

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
Well... ETI must be telling people different things. Several people and I have been told to not send in money until after production starts.
We were told that we could not pay until about one month before our scheduled delivery date.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:02 AM   #108

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm 95% paid up and build sheet completed. I feel once that other assembly line gets going next month things will speed up and trailers will be produced a lot quicker. That way if there is a spot in the line and you are all done, you may be able to receive your unit sooner.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #109
LJY

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
It's just that worrying about things you can't control or anticipate may shorten your life-span.
When the doctor asked me if I was under stress ( at work ), I replied, I don't have stress. I cause stress.
I think everybody's brain is wired differently... For me, optimization is a game whether it's programming or it's finances. So, I do it for the enjoyment of it. What gives me stress is seeing the worst of ppl in corporate politics. Hopefully, I can soon retire from that stress in a few more years.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #110

Trailer: 2017 19
I just completed a wire transfer in CAD that was deposited in ETI's bank account and Kathy has credited on my build sheet. Completion date May 2017
https://daysofnights.org
johnwarrensimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:03 PM   #111

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Lots of fun times ahead!
Old 06-19-2016, 12:19 AM   #112

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Interesting that others were able to pay early while we were told we could not. Either way it no longer matters to us. While on our way to Banf last week we stopped in at a branch of the Royal Bank of Canada and opened two savings accounts. On in USD, the other in CAD. We didn't have an appointment but it still took less than 45 minutes and all we needed were two forms of ID. We did however have to be there in person, so our vacation choice really paid off.
Neither account has any fee or minimum balance as long as we don't make more than one withdrawal per month ($5 Canadian for each additional). Not a problem since we really only plan to make one big withdrawal anyway.
We will be moving our savings in USD and can transfer to the CAD account online when we decide we like the rate.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:44 AM   #113
LJY

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanLewis View Post
Posted earlier that the best deal I found was through Morgan Stanley. Here's how it came out: we bought CAD approximately equal to what we think will be the final price of the trailer (don't know for sure since we certainly haven't finalized the build sheet yet) and deposited the money in a CAD bank account. MS will wire the money to ETI when asked. There might be a modest fee for that; I didn't bother to ask. Bank of Canada reported that the exchange rate on the day we did the transaction ranged from 0.7587 to 0.7636 USD/CAD; we bought at 0.7603 and paid MS a fee of $3.76. I'd say, if you have a broker, check with them.
Stan,
While looking thru annual reports of one of my funds, I noticed the CAD asset/contract the fund owned goes thru Morgan Stanley. Looks like MS is a big broker in USD/CAD currencies. This is probably why they offered you such a good exchange rate. For non-MS customers like me, Everbank has the best exchange rate plus no fee of any alternatives I can find.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #114

Trailer: pondering.....
not sure if it was the Brits, but the USD/CAD exchange rate reversed course and is now going in a positive direction at least for USA Escape buyers...will be interesting to see what changes are in the long range forecasts...just a month ago they were headed in somewhat of a negative direction for USA Escape buyers at least thru mid summer 2017....what goes up must go down and vice versa eventually but this one may be a bit more sustained...
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #115

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
For those who have not paid the full amount on their trailer, you might want to read the article in this link.

Why The U.S. Dollar Will Continue Marching Higher Vs. The Canadian Dollar - PowerShares DB USD Bull ETF (NYSEARCA:UUP) | Seeking Alpha

It looks like the USD/CAD ratio is about to change in our favor.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #116

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
For those who have not paid the full amount on their trailer, you might want to read the article in this link.

Why The U.S. Dollar Will Continue Marching Higher Vs. The Canadian Dollar - PowerShares DB USD Bull ETF (NYSEARCA:UUP) | Seeking Alpha

I'm liking that.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:18 PM   #117

Yup.
Maybe, or maybe not.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:45 PM   #118

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post

would be nice....but of course a buyer might also consider where one wants his $30k located, if and when the next bubble bursts...
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:16 PM   #119

Trailer: 2000 Casita
Yes you do have to go in person to a Canidian bank with 2 I D's to open an account. Wife and I did it last month.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:49 PM   #120

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA (sold) '13 Tundra DC 4.6 tow
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanLewis View Post
Posted earlier that the best deal I found was through Morgan Stanley. Here's how it came out: we bought CAD approximately equal to what we think will be the final price of the trailer (don't know for sure since we certainly haven't finalized the build sheet yet) and deposited the money in a CAD bank account. MS will wire the money to ETI when asked. There might be a modest fee for that; I didn't bother to ask. Bank of Canada reported that the exchange rate on the day we did the transaction ranged from 0.7587 to 0.7636 USD/CAD; we bought at 0.7603 and paid MS a fee of $3.76. I'd say, if you have a broker, check with them.
Thanks to this thread, I purchased about one third of our remaining cost in CDN funds in my Morgan Stanley brokerage account today. ~0.7593 USD per CDN which matched the XE quotes at the time of purchase. This is a good option if it fits your situation. Thanks Stan!
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote