Importing to the US - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Old 04-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B, 2016 Tacoma Off Road
Importing to the US

Can anyone who has purchased an Escape and imported it into the US explain the process? I would like to be able to spend a month or so getting back to NY, so I either need to pre-register it prior to picking it up or find some temporary registration procedure. NY DMV is not much help.

Also, what paperwork & cost is necessary to get it out of Canada?

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma 2011 17B
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
Re: Importing to the US

Hi: Vermilye...Sorry I haven't done the Importing thing but it is my understanding that Tammy supplies all the paperwork required to cross the border. Probably your N.Y. taxes will be paid when you register for a plate back home. A temp. permit should be avail. but for how long they last is a question mark. To obtain a plate before you go to Chilliwack most likely requires a bill of sale. Why the DMV/M of Trans. have to be so diff. is a mystery. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'10 Frontier CC. S.E. 4X4 Lng. Bed V6 '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas Ont.( Not the Virgin Islands)
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

If you are towing your Escape, getting out of Canada it is painless. You will need the paperwork from Tammy to get through US Border and Customs. There will be no fees, it may be necessary for you to sign something.

You will need to cover insurance and license with your state and they are all different. Tammy will provide you with a bill of sale that includes the VIN, that maybe all that is necessary in your state to obtain a license. In Wisconsin you do not have to show up with the trailer, they issue the plates over the counter. After of course, collecting the appropriate taxes. Temporary or drive away plates maybe used by some states.

On insurance there are a number of questions I would ask:

Towing and roadside assistance. Do I want it?
Replacement value covers what?
Delivery from Chilliwack. Sales Tax.
Foreign exchange, what if the loonie is C$1.50 to the dollar?
What deductable can I live with?
Residual these units hold their value so well I want to be assured I am insuring it at replacement cost.
Paul and Janet Braun
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 now 2012 Toyota Sequoia V8
Escape 19' 2010 now 2014 Escape 21'
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna

Try this website. It appears that one can tour for 6 months without registration. However, that said, I would call Tammy or the B.C. DMV. Going from Canada to Washington was no trouble. Have fun!
Peace and Sunshine
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
Trailer: All Escape(s)

Once the trailer has entered production I assign it a VIN number. I also email the customer to confirm the name(s) in which you would like the trailer registered and your personal information.

As the trailer nears completion I will complete a Final Bill of Sale, Certificate of Origin, an HS-7 or Declaration for Importation of Motor Vehicles and a NVIS. I also complete a 1701 which must be presented when you cross the border with the trailer - So I keep it in the customers file until they pick up the trailer.

Crossing the border is very easy. Most of the customers use the Sumas border crossing and the customs agents are used to seeing our trailers. But, we have also sent the trailers east where customers have met the delivery truck in a predetermined location and they have presented the 1701 and imported the trailer without comments.

My only word of caution is to ensure you have the customs officer stamp the Bill of sale or 1701 to prove you imported the trailer.

I hope this helps.

reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
Trailer: 2017 21 due 4/15/17 2016 Highlander XLE (previously 17B "Blue")

We crossed back in the State at Sumas on 5/27/10. The gate officer just said to pull into a parking slot and walk into the building. Once in there, another officer started to hand us a CBP Form 7501, but then looked thru our documents and saw the one Tammy had already completed for us. He stamped it and off we went. The whole process including waiting was less then 15 minutes. Very easy.
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:54 AM   #7
Import & Title Documentation

We imported our new Escape OK, and managed to get license plates & interim registration papers in Oregon.
Now, however, Escape has emailed us and asked for the customs-stamped document (Escape calls it a Form 7501) that U.S. Customs stamps at the border crossing. Seems the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires that.
Escape wants a copy of the stamped form.
Unfortunately, Oregon's DMV took that stamped form, along with the bill of sale & some other stuff, and shipped it off to their HQ somewhere to process the permanent registration document.
So now, I've got to track it through the bowels of Oregon DMV, and the last time I had dealings with DMV it was all phone voice-mail and bureacracy (BTW it also took me two trips and lots of waiting time to get the title registered in Oregon).
Really lookin' forward to another bout with DMV. I wish someone had advised me to get a copy of the stamped document.
If you're planning to buy an Escape or know someone who is, and planning to register it in the USA, you might advise them to copy that stamped import document before turning it over to their own state's DMV.
blugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Our document stamped by the customs people at the border was taken and kept by the DMV in our state, too. I refuse to chase it through the maze of government, and am confident I'd come up empty-handed even if I tried. I would be willing, however, to send a copy of the vehicle registration if that would do any good.
2012 Escape 19 towed by 2012 Ford Flex
See lots more about our Escape at
rvomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B, 2016 Tacoma Off Road
Since I had already registered the trailer before I picked it up, I still have the stamped 7501 form. The saga of getting the trailer registered in NY is on page 2 of this post.

I scanned it (and the Certificate of Origin) to PDFs & now keep a copy on my phone...
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma 2011 17B
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quite to my surprise, I had absolutely no trouble in California! Rather than waiting until I got home, I stopped enroute at a small California DMV office in Mt Shasta, CA (the DMV office is actually in a shopping mall there). Being obsessive-compulsive about these things, I told them I wanted to keep all the original documents, including the 7501, so they took photocopies, and then handed me the license plate and the originals. Whole process took maybe 15 minutes, including the time they took to go out in the parking lot to verify the VIN.

I don't know whether or not Escape has been asked by CRA for this information in the past, but it might be beneficial for Tammy to tell people to possibly expect such a request from them, and to make additional copies once they get through Customs and before registering the trailer in their home state.

What was interesting for me at the US Border was that the red customs stamp was all they put on the documents, no signature of the agent at all. They said that's all they do. We went through at Port Angeles, and the agent was impressed that Tammy already had the paperwork completed. They were also pretty busy taking apart a U-Haul trailer being brought in by four rather seedy-looking folks!!

2009 Tacoma Crew Cab, TRD 4WD
2007 Tundra Double Cab TRD 4WD
2014 Escape 19
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote