Importing used trailer from can ado to U.S. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: 21 escape
Importing used trailer from can ado to U.S.

were are purchasing a new 21 Escape and no problem with that, We are also buying a used travel trailer near Toronto CA and will be bringing it to U.S., talked to U S customs near Niagra Falls, they said if the rv is a pull type with no engine,{motorhome} then all I need is a Registration signed over to me and a Bill of Sale, they said just bring it there and they would do the rest? any one on here had any experience on this? Thanks for your input, JL
oldstation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
It depends on the age of the used trailer. It has to have a DOT safety sticker and some older ones do not. But yes, basically it is that simple. (Assuming it was made in the US or Canada- may be trickier if imported.) You should also check on what your state requires for you to register it there as Customs doesn't care what your state wants.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:41 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 21 escape
importing used trailer to U S

the trailer was made in Canada , and it's a 2002 wonder if this is new enough to have the sticker?
oldstation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I think so. https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...vel-trailer-us
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot TF20 DLX Fifth Wheel
registering a used camper in Kentucky

We purchased an older Scamp from a couple in Michigan and I brought it home.

We down to the Clerk's Office at the courthouse and they informed me that since the purchase was made out of state, from a private party, that the trailer had to be inspected before it could be registered and subsequently licensed. The provided the contact information for the inspector.

Nice gentleman that covers over half the state performing inspections. It took him almost a week call me back and another week before he could get here to complete the inspection. This was not a problem because we ended up completing a renovation project that took us over 14 months and included nearly a complete gut with exterior paint job. We camped when we could and worked when we couldn't, but it was two weeks before we had plates and were authorized to be on the road.

If the camper had come from a private party within the state or from a manufacturer, no inspection would have been required.
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote