Insurance on a 15A? (Washington state) - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2016, 12:02 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Good Sam / Progressive offers 5 years full replacement value, and I agree I've not seen an American insurer who offers a longer term. After 5 years it's insured for the exact purchase price.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2016, 12:18 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Good Sam / Progressive offers 5 years full replacement value, and I agree I've not seen an American insurer who offers a longer term. After 5 years it's insured for the exact purchase price.

Believe this is incorrect. It is not for the exact purchase price (if you mean what you paid) but the cost of a new (more expensive) trailer with exactly the same options. (I say this without regard to the exchange rate --- it would cost more now in Canadian dollars.) If you had to replace your 19' now, with present prices, it would be more than what you paid. Full replacement coverage would give you the same thing in the newer version without costing you what a new order now costs. Would not cost you anything to get the new replacement (oh, except all of those insurance premiums!)
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
If so, Glenn needs to total it in the next couple of months.
Ho, ho, we're going to have to watch him!
Old 10-05-2016, 12:39 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Believe this is incorrect. It is not for the exact purchase price (if you mean what you paid) but the cost of a new (more expensive) trailer with exactly the same options. (I say this without regard to the exchange rate --- it would cost more now in Canadian dollars.) If you had to replace your 19' now, with present prices, it would be more than what you paid. Full replacement coverage would give you the same thing in the newer version without costing you what a new order now costs. Would not cost you anything to get the new replacement (oh, except all of those insurance premiums!)
I'm not following. Replacement cost coverage means you're insured for what a new one, with the same options, would cost at the time of claim. That lasts for 5 years, at least on my policy. After that, you're insured for actual cost - what it cost you at the time of purchase. What am I missing?

Old 10-05-2016, 12:49 AM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I'm not following. Replacement cost coverage means you're insured for what a new one, with the same options, would cost at the time of claim.
Not sure that the insurance company means "new" for replacement. They probably mean "comparable". And, if you don't like their interpretation of comparable, we'll "negotiate".
If the insured trailer is still in production, you would have a strong argument. If not, I'm not sure.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:03 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
News item: Two fiberglass travel trailers, a 2009 17 ft. and a 2015 19 ft., mysteriously collided, destroying both. Even more remarkable is that both trailers were produced by the same top-of-the-line Canadian manufacturer, Escape Trailer Industries.
Insurance company investigators are quite puzzled, but are continuing to attempt to determine the cause.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:22 AM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Now how does Glenn convince them it was mislabeled and was really a 19?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #28

Quote:
I'm not following. Replacement cost coverage means you're insured for what a new one, with the same options, would cost at the time of claim. That lasts for 5 years, at least on my policy. After that, you're insured for actual cost - what it cost you at the time of purchase. What am I missing?

You're right! I misunderstood you. Sorry about that. It was late and I had gone to see about new glasses, and .... Whatever other excuse I can come up with!
Old 10-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not sure that the insurance company means "new" for replacement. They probably mean "comparable". And, if you don't like their interpretation of comparable, we'll "negotiate".
If the insured trailer is still in production, you would have a strong argument. If not, I'm not sure.
Yes, they do mean "new" as far as I understand. You would be given the year's model when it is totaled, not "comparable." This is a particular product specifically for that, a new unit that is only comparable in that you get the same options. I believe that you are talking about "comparable" on your coverage. I am not. Can't check on this too many times though!
Old 10-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Now how does Glenn convince them it was mislabeled and was really a 19?
Tammy has extra graphics.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:17 PM   #31

They would give you a new one, if there is one available. Since ETI doesn't make the 15' any more, it would have to be comparable. Start negotiations now.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:33 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
They would give you a new one, if there is one available. Since ETI doesn't make the 15' any more, it would have to be comparable. Start negotiations now.
Yeah but they do still make the 17. How bout it? Care for an inconvenient "accident"? [emoji23]

Old 10-05-2016, 09:39 PM   #33

I'd end up with a 17' with graphics that say Escape 19.
BTW, I did call the insurance agent last year just to make sure of the insurance I have. Agent told me if my trailer was stolen or a tree fell on it, I would get a 2016 Escape 17 with the same options.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:49 PM   #34

Then I guess we need to become Canadian. The insurance on all fronts beats the heck out of ours.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:51 PM   #35

Quote:
It is quite possible that they would try to contract with ETI to build a 15' in such a case. Or the party would get a 17'!
Old 10-05-2016, 09:58 PM   #36

That's the negotiation part.
Can't imagine the insurance company agreeing to pay a premium to have ETI build a one-off 15'. They'd likely offer a cash amount or perhaps allow the insured to pay toward a 17'.
But, I don't know what they would do, so I'm parking this one.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:05 PM   #37

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I'm not really looking for a new replacement but there is no telling what an equivalent one would go for- prices for used vary greatly but for 15As there just aren't very many comps out there. That's the issue. Though probably the only realistic thing is to insure for purchase price and hope nothing ever happens but if it does, I'd have at least something towards whatever I replaced it with.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:14 PM   #38
Site Team

It's pure speculation of course, but in such a case Escape might be willing to price out an "invoice" for a 15, even though they don't offer it anymore -- just for valuation purposes on an insurance claim. Who knows. What I do know is that replacement cost coverage gives me a little more peace of mind.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:14 PM   #39

Trailer: 2012 15A
I believe what the insurance companies do is give you a cheque for the replacement cost of the trailer. You can take that money and spend it on whatever replacement trailer you chose. It probably doesn't even have to be a trailer??

I had experiences with replacement cost on a vehicle. The insurance company determined what the equivalent cost of a new vehicle would be from the dealer, without regard to what I had actually paid for the vehicle, and wrote me a cheque for that value. In my case I had paid far less than the replacement cost I received as I had purchased it at one of the big year end clearance sales. The insurance company knew what I had paid but gave me the greater value.

Mistakenly I had assumed that the insurance company would find a replacement vehicle, but no, it was up to me to do the shopping. So I could have bought any vehicle I chose and it could have been less $$$ than the payout value and pocketed the left over dollars. Or I could have bought a more expensive vehicle and paid the difference. The insurance company dos not guarantee that you will get the exact same vehicle as it may no longer be produced.

I would assume the same would apply to an Escape trailer. Take the estimated payout value for a 15A which is no longer in production and buy any Escape trailer you choose. Just pay the upgrade cost.

ETI would probably be contacted by the insurance company, as rbryan4 suggested, and they could provide a value probably based on what the percentaage differential between the cost of a 15A and a 17A was in 2010 say if that was the year of the trailer in question. Take that differential and apply it against today's cost of a 17A and that would be the $$$ value of the insurance payout for a 15A. You the insured decide whatever you want to do with the money after that. The insurance company does not get concerned if you can actually get a new or used Escape 15A. So I don't think the insurance company would ask ETI to produce one more 15A today.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:30 PM   #40

Insurance companies do like to give out checks which is probably far less work for them. If you wanted another trailer, Escape used to make a 13' once in a while when they were "no longer" making them. Don't know if they have stopped that completely or not. I expect so since they are so busy now and can't begin to keep up.