Insuring a new Escape 5.0TA - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2017, 04:15 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Question is, are they shopping for the best deal for you, or the best commission for themselves?
If they are an "agent" they are looking out for themselves & the companies they represent. That is to say they are an agent for the company. If they are a "broker" they should be looking out for your interests. but no guarentees, and you still owe it to yourself to check out the reviews etc. for the company, to shop around, and to read your policy. Because in the end, it doesn't matter what the agent told you if it ain't in the policy...
Old 02-25-2017, 04:19 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Absolutely.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #23

Trailer: pondering.....
talked (more than once and in writing) to my State Farm insurance agent and he said STATE FARM DOES NOT SELL FULL REPLACEMENT INSURANCE for a trailer in Texas (nor do they offer that for automobiles either). The replacement value is always Pro-rated for depreciation in Texas . Will need to shop for trailer insurance from someone else when a trailer is purchased.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We are all State Farm. We have been treated right on our claims. Deer collisions, total roof replacement, etc. We have Home, Cars, Escape ( total replacement) and blanket liability. And she "gives" me a new Road Atlas each year. Only costs us about $2,500
or $3,000. I know there are regional differences for what companies insure. We went
to State Farm in 2006 when our previous home insurer would not insure the log home. 30 years, no claims, did not matter. Jerks
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:07 PM   #25

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
If they are an "agent" they are looking out for themselves & the companies they represent. That is to say they are an agent for the company. If they are a "broker" they should be looking out for your interests. but no guarentees, and you still owe it to yourself to check out the reviews etc. for the company, to shop around, and to read your policy. Because in the end, it doesn't matter what the agent told you if it ain't in the policy...
The first Good Sams agent made several mistakes in our application from information I gave him over the phone (he listed both my wife and me as "Single", day of month and year were both way wrong on my wife's birth date, wrong purchase price of camper by several thousand dollars). We caught the mistakes, called back, and got a different agent. By the time she corrected all the mistakes of the first agent, our policy premium actually went down about $20. Who knows what would have happened if we had not caught the mistakes, had an accident and filed a claim. Not saying they would, but they probably could declare we misrepresented our selves and denied our coverage. So ya, read your policy closely. We still like the policy, but it can be luck-of-the-draw on which agent happens to answer your phone call.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:37 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Looking very carefully at the National Gen policy today after returning from the AAA office (they needed pictures) I see the purchase price was $0. Can only wonder what full replacement would have been
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 19' Escape "Cattyshack"
Overland Insurance Services Broker

On the recommendation of a friend up the street we called Overland Insurance Services in Arizona, a family owned business (1-800-677-4027). They are a broker and will shop a number of companies to find the best deal for what you want. They spend a bit of time determining if you want full replacement, how long you plan to own it and so on. The best deal they found for us was through Progressive. RV/trailer insurance is Progressive's sweet spot. The broker does not charge you and will provide good service going forward. Note that I am not affiliated with them at all, just happy with the results.
NCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:13 PM   #28

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCopp View Post
On the recommendation of a friend up the street we called Overland Insurance Services in Arizona, a family owned business (1-800-677-4027). They are a broker and will shop a number of companies to find the best deal for what you want. They spend a bit of time determining if you want full replacement, how long you plan to own it and so on. The best deal they found for us was through Progressive. RV/trailer insurance is Progressive's sweet spot. The broker does not charge you and will provide good service going forward. Note that I am not affiliated with them at all, just happy with the results.
if you care to share further info...
1. Did you insure trailer ONLY or did you have to bundle with TV insurance?
2. Did Progressive sell you Full Replacement (NOT depreciated value) and for how many years does it cover Full Replacement?
3. Rough estimate cost per year if trailer only insurance?
Thank you
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:07 PM   #29

It was the trailer only. It's total loss replacement for purchase price comprehensive and collision. It has total replacement for the life of the policy since we intend to keep it for quite awhile. So that is more. Some policies only do that for 5 years and then taper off. It includes towing and roadside assistance, disappearing deductibles. It was $330. But remember prices vary by state, this is for North Carolina.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:09 PM   #30

One other note. We switched to State Farm for our home and auto insurance and they use a third party for trailer/rv insurance. The agent recommended Progressive for trailer insurance as a personal comment.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:09 PM   #31

Our Good Sams was also underwritten by Progressive. Comprehension and collision ($500 deductible; deductible drops 25% per year if no claims; I believe it was 0 deductible for "Acts of God" like hail), full replacement for 5 years; emergency road assistance up to $750, loss of personal items up to $3,000, vacation liability up to $100,000 (if someone else gets hurt in our camper). Refund for documented time in storage. $435/year in Alabama (higher than North Carolina) for trailer only because tow vehicle is tied to homeowners policy with different carrier for bigger bundling discount. Homeowners policy carrier doesn't cover campers.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCopp View Post
One other note. We switched to State Farm for our home and auto insurance and they use a third party for trailer/rv insurance. The agent recommended Progressive for trailer insurance as a personal comment.
Irony - State Farm doesn't insure farm stuff. Go figure....
Old 03-09-2017, 12:35 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I have not heard of any company giving full replacement for life or anything that exceeded five years, or possibly six. Better check on exactly what they are referring to and check the exact wording on the policy.

Policy costs differ considerably from state to state and even within the counties of the state, for exactly the same coverage. One person's quote means nothing for another's location. Where your trailer is garaged is likely what your company will use to determine your policy cost and you can save if in the "right" county.

On dropping some insurance while stored, I know of someone who did that and then were not covered when an incident occurred during storage.

There are so many situations regarding insurance that we can hardly begin to get it all straight.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:49 AM   #34

Yup. And, believe it or not, your credit rating is another factor they take into account.
I've had full replacement for eight years now. I've asked because that seems unusual, and mine is still in force.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:52 AM   #35

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I remember yours as eight now. I should have qualified that as in the U.S. You have some better deals in Canada on insurance.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:59 AM   #36

Don't know about that.
If the company that insures my house demands a plumbing inspection ( they asked ) like the electrical inspection ( cost me $1,500 in upgrades ), I'll be moving into the trailer, and then they'll raise my rate.

Tags
5.0ta, insurance