Insuring a new Escape 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2015, 11:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (May 2015)
Send a message via Skype™ to HappyCampers
Insuring a new Escape 5.0TA

Hi, our new 5.0TA is being built as I write this . We have checked with our current vehicle insurance carrier ( State Farm ) and with Good Sam, who uses National General ( formerly GMAC ). The Good Sam policy runs about $200 per year, while State Farm is a little more than twice that rate. While the cost of insurance is a vital component, one should also consider the financial stability of the insuring company, ease of working with them through a claim, the satisfaction of the insured, etc. Also, is there a value in using the same insuring company where all of one's other insurance is carried? If anyone has an opinion we would be grateful for the input.

Thanks, George and Jodi
Old 03-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCampers View Post
Hi, our new 5.0TA is being built as I write this . We have checked with our current vehicle insurance carrier ( State Farm ) and with Good Sam, who uses National General ( formerly GMAC ). The Good Sam policy runs about $200 per year, while State Farm is a little more than twice that rate. While the cost of insurance is a vital component, one should also consider the financial stability of the insuring company, ease of working with them through a claim, the satisfaction of the insured, etc. Also, is there a value in using the same insuring company where all of one's other insurance is carried? If anyone has an opinion we would be grateful for the input.

Thanks, George and Jodi
There is an advantage if you carry an Umbrella Policy; you may be required to have it insured with same carrier if so. We have used AAA for about 18 years (had USAA prior) and their service is fantastic. Policy runs us $260/year.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:

Thanks, George and Jodi
I don't understand why your State Farm ins. is so high. We just insured our 2014 21 for $166. here in Wa. state, with a $250 deductible?
ddeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You need to read the policy and understand what you get. My policy is for guaranteed replacement ( they will buy a 2015 to replace my stolen 2008 ). I don't recall, but I think the deductible is $500.
Policy also covers contents up to $5,000 and has trip interruption insurance.
With the differences between US and Canada, province to province and state to state, what's covered under the tow vehicle or home policy and what is not, you really need to examine YOUR coverage. Comparisons on the web aren't of much value. ( note that where you live and even your credit score can affect price of policy ).
Old 03-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have had State Farm for past 8 years on all my trailers and home and auto's. Fleet discount??
I also have Good Sam Emergency Road Service for the trailer and auto's. No problems yet. You can always cancel if not satisfied.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You need to read the policy and understand what you get. My policy is for guaranteed replacement ( they will buy a 2015 to replace my stolen 2008 ). I don't recall, but I think the deductible is $500.
Policy also covers contents up to $5,000 and has trip interruption insurance.
With the differences between US and Canada, province to province and state to state, what's covered under the tow vehicle or home policy and what is not, you really need to examine YOUR coverage. Comparisons on the web aren't of much value. ( note that where you live and even your credit score can affect price of policy ).
Thanks, helpful information, I'll check it out with the ins. carrier.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #7

Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeg View Post
Thanks, helpful information, I'll check it out with the ins. carrier.
also check and see how long they will replace with a brand new trailer. I've check out a few insurance policy's and replacement was good for the first 5 years which is still a good deal.
mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1549 View Post
also check and see how long they will replace with a brand new trailer. I've check out a few insurance policy's and replacement was good for the first 5 years which is still a good deal.
I have Gieco for around $300.00 per year. It gives me full replacement cost for the first 8 years, and also includes emergency road service. After the 8 years, then the percentage begins to decline. I forgot what the final percentage of replacement cost are, think it bottoms out around 50% or maybe a little less.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #9

More helpful information, thanks mk1549 and Scuba55.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:

Thanks, George and Jodi
We used Good Sam, which is actually Progressive in Texas. As for financial stability I'd say they are all fine. Focus on the coverage. We got guaranteed replacement cost coverage on ours and its good to know if the trailer was stolen or destroyed we would get the amount it would take to build a brand new one with the same equipment. Also have interior content coverage.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:50 AM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1549 View Post
I've check out a few insurance policy's and replacement was good for the first 5 years which is still a good deal.
I found the same thing with another RV. It just hit five years old, so it no longer qualifies for full new replacement. I had to chose an amount of coverage to suit the actual value of the used unit, which is what I will be paid in the case of a loss. The premium drops quite a bit as a result.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:01 AM   #12

I think RVs are actually quite low risk for insurance companies, since they spend most of their life parked somewhere.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:23 PM   #13

My homeowners ins won't cover the trailer buttttttt will cover the items inside the trailer. 10% of my personal property.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:26 PM   #14

I mean 10% of the coverage for my homes' personal property
Old 04-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 19'
We were given a quote from California Casualty to insure our future 19' trailer:
"Adding the trailer to your auto policy would increase the monthly payment $10. The annual premium would be approximately $115., Coverage would include the comprehensive and collision physical damage coverage's to repair damage to the trailer. The liability extends from the vehicle pulling the trailer."
Old 02-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #16

Claims experience

When switching our 21's insurance from AAA to Good Sam(National General) I did so for the guaranteed replacement coverage feature, and after reading the experience that Drumstick63 had when their 2015 5.0TA was flooded.

Yet after being pitched by them to get my other business for home & auto I searched for reviews and they look terrible.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/national-ge...inston-salem-2

Switching back ASAP.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
When switching our 21's insurance from AAA to Good Sam(National General) I did so for the guaranteed replacement coverage feature, and after reading the experience that Drumstick63 had when their 2015 5.0TA was flooded.

Yet after being pitched by them to get my other business for home & auto I searched for reviews and they look terrible.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/national-ge...inston-salem-2

Switching back ASAP.
Yeah, that was our conclusion re: AAA. Since we have home, cars, umbrella insurance with AAA, we got a good rate, and replacement coverage (They have a file copy of our final build sheet, and, I believe, some downloaded "final build" photos taken by ETI).
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:12 PM   #18

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Interesting. When we called Good Sams a couple weeks back to get a quote, the agent who answered our call said the best quote he could find at the time for what we wanted (full replacement, lots of on-the-road coverage, etc.) would be underwritten by Prudential. Prudential has treated us okay in the past, and the premium was very reasonable, so we went with them. When I called the agent back one time for clarification on an item, he was away from his phone, and the call rolled to a National General representative. When I gave her the policy number, she said that's a Prudential Good Sams policy, so she politely forwarded me to a Prudential representative. Very curious as to how all this sorts out. But everyone seemed in agreement that what we have is a considered a Good Sams policy regardless of who is underwriting it.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:22 PM   #19

Good Sam is an agent. They take all your info, including your address and then shop among several companies just like other independent agents. They don't get involved with claims however- those will be handled by adjusters for the ins. co.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #20

Question is, are they shopping for the best deal for you, or the best commission for themselves?

Tags
5.0ta, insurance