Long Wait for Trailer but Great US->CAD Exchange Rate - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
Member
 
huskersteffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Posts: 81
Long Wait for Trailer but Great US->CAD Exchange Rate

This isn't a very exciting topic but it affects all of those who have a long delivery wait and I'm guessing that this is a pretty common situation now that ETI's production schedule is so far out.

We have a 21 on order for April 2016. I've been watching the US->CAD exchange rate and am wondering how others are trying to hedge and minimize risk as far as final payment to ETI.

Options include:
1) Waiting till final payment is due and just dealing with whatever rate is in effect at that time. Downside is that rates are currently at historic lows (.78 - .79) and will "probably" be higher in the future. Difference could amount thousands of $$$.
2) Sending a big wad of cash to ETI far ahead of delivery. Upside is you capture good rate, downside is you incur risk because of the wait (heaven forbid something bad happens in BC or at ETI).
3) Using something like Currency Shares FXC (CurrencyShares - FXC). Upside is you take advantage of current favorable rate and minimize risk waiting for delivery of the tangible good your are purchasing. Downside is paying income tax on whatever "earnings" you'd capture when you sell (if CAD dollar goes up). Obvious downside is the risk that the CAD dollar really tanks.... however, it is at historical lows.
4) Walk into Canadian Bank, open an account and transfer from US. Hard to do if you don't live close to Canada.

I'd be interested in what others are thinking and doing. Full disclosure: I'm an engineer and can't help myself obsessing over this kind of stuff Must...... find.......optimum solution!

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
Theodore Roosevelt
huskersteffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
sturski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jamestown, Colorado
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Posts: 220
I'm also an engineer and obsessive about that sort of thing, as well.

The interest rate on my savings account was pathetic, the exchange rate was as good as I've ever seen, so I sent a $30,000 personal check 6 months early. Worked just fine for me, though I'd use something trackable if I ever did it again (heaven forbid). Two weeks in USPS never-neverland was an itty bit stressful.

The 12 month wait kinda implies that ETI will be around a while (to me).
__________________

sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:51 AM   #3
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 6,833
I track international currency, it's part of my job. CAD is now 77 cents...
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:58 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post
4) Walk into Canadian Bank, open an account and transfer from US. Hard to do if you don't live close to Canada.
Can you not open a Canadian account through your own bank? I know I have a US account set up by my Canadian bank rep, as well as a US credit card as it saves a bit of exchange fees as opposed to using my Canadian card. I dumped a bunch of cash in it back when it was near par, as I knew we were planning that Alaska trip we took last month. Saved a fair bit of money.

On the other hand, I would not worry too much about putting a deposit with Escape. Pretty sure they are on solid financial ground.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:14 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Rangeley, Maine
Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016... 2016 Escape 19.
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
The interest rate on my savings account was pathetic, the exchange rate was as good as I've ever seen, so I sent a $30,000 personal check 6 months early.
I did the same thing. Actually I did a wire transfer from Schwab in Canadian dollars. I just couldn't resist the exchange rate.
sallemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #6
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,693
I prepaid both my Escapes and was able to take advantage of a cancellation and get one earlier than anticipated, something you may not be able to do if you still have a large balance due.
__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:31 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post
This isn't a very exciting topic but it affects all of those who have a long delivery wait and I'm guessing that this is a pretty common situation now that ETI's production schedule is so far out.

We have a 21 on order for April 2016. I've been watching the US->CAD exchange rate and am wondering how others are trying to hedge and minimize risk as far as final payment to ETI.

Options include:
1) Waiting till final payment is due and just dealing with whatever rate is in effect at that time. Downside is that rates are currently at historic lows (.78 - .79) and will "probably" be higher in the future. Difference could amount thousands of $$$.
2) Sending a big wad of cash to ETI far ahead of delivery. Upside is you capture good rate, downside is you incur risk because of the wait (heaven forbid something bad happens in BC or at ETI).
3) Using something like Currency Shares FXC (CurrencyShares - FXC). Upside is you take advantage of current favorable rate and minimize risk waiting for delivery of the tangible good your are purchasing. Downside is paying income tax on whatever "earnings" you'd capture when you sell (if CAD dollar goes up). Obvious downside is the risk that the CAD dollar really tanks.... however, it is at historical lows.
4) Walk into Canadian Bank, open an account and transfer from US. Hard to do if you don't live close to Canada.

I'd be interested in what others are thinking and doing. Full disclosure: I'm an engineer and can't help myself obsessing over this kind of stuff Must...... find.......optimum solution!

Thanks!
We did final large payment at the end . Our take on it - it is what it is . The day you pick up your trailer you will forget all this . Seeing your trailer finally will be all that consumes your thoughts . It is one happy day . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,856
Pretty much same as Sturski, sent a personal check as soon as I finalized the build sheet, which is just before your trailer goes into production. The remaining $2-$3k went on plastic just before completion so I could get the final paperwork and get started on getting it registered.

Been watching finance long enough to know that my crystal ball has no idea what the future will bring.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:26 PM   #9
Member
 
Grant & Kathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bandon, Oregon
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallemann View Post
I did the same thing. Actually I did a wire transfer from Schwab in Canadian dollars. I just couldn't resist the exchange rate.
I did wire transfers in US dollars. The exchange rate I got from ETI's bank was 4 cents more per dollar that the transfer rate that I would have gotten if I had sent Canadian dollars.

A penny difference in the exchange rate doesn't sound like much but on $30,000 US dollars, one penny difference is $300 US dollars.

In our case the 4 cent difference saved us $1,200 US dollars.

That said I have no idea how you could time the exchange rate. For us it was just luck.

Grant
__________________

“The journey not the arrival matters.” – T. S. Eliot
Grant & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:40 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sedona, Arizona
Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Posts: 15
Another exchange option

If you have or care to open an account with Charles Schwab, they offer international accounts which allow you to hold cash in several foreign currencies, one of which is the Canadian Dollar. I think their exchange rate is also very fair. I have not looked in to all the details but plan to as I get closer to ordering. From what I have read, however, most pundits do not expect the Canadian dollar to drastically improve for the rest of this year, but one can never be sure!
__________________

shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.