Michigan: registering your Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-14-2018, 07:54 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Fenton, Michigan
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 ft
Posts: 35
Michigan: registering your Escape

We received our VIN number last week and started on the adventure of insurance and registration.

The insurance part went pretty well once we sent them a link to the ETI website and pointed out it was not a stick built trailer from KZ or the other longer versions of Escape listed in their dropdowns. The coverage we chose was from Progressive for replacement cost, around $400 per year.

The adventure to the DMV was not so productive......

We tried two different spots and had the same response, without the import stamp on the 5106 form showing that it entered the country they could not proceed.
So we must return to MI with the paperwork to register the trailer, or have a proxy do it, and mail the papers back and forth, which I'm not real comfortable doing.

The other option, if it is available, may be to get a temporary transport plate from Washington state to cover the 30 days it may take us to return to MI.

Or possibly no plate, and when we are stopped explain the situation
Does anyone have any experience doing either?

Thanks in advance for any advice or information
__________________

TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: La Verne, California
Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Posts: 16
We live in Southern Ca. We were told by DMV that our 5.0 had to be in the state and then could be registered just like you. We had just entered Washington for maybe 30 minutes, a state trooper pulled us over for no license plate, we showed him all of our papers, he said Ok, and we drove for a week to Shasta DMV just over the Ca border with no further issues. Keep those papers handy.
__________________

franksuzy2gether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
Member
 
J&B Mitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Traverse City, Michigan
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Mitt-Inn"
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
...or have a proxy do it, and mail the papers back and forth, which I'm not real comfortable doing.

The other option, if it is available, may be to get a temporary transport plate from Washington state to cover the 30 days it may take us to return to MI.

Thanks in advance for any advice or information
We're from Michigan; we did the 'proxy' method you describe. Here's what we did:
--We made reservations for several days at the Lynden KOA.
--We had ETI drop our trailer onto the site at the Lynden KOA, rather than Bob's Burgers in Sumas. (ETI did that very agreeably.)
--We immediately FedEx'd our 7501 to Jan's sister, who acted as our agent in Michigan. Her sister had a prearranged appointment at the Secretary of State's office (license bureau) and got our plate and registration.
--She FedEx'd them back to us, care of the KOA office.

This took maybe four days total, staying at the Lynden KOA. It was a good opportunity for us to shake down problems with our new trailer. There were a few. We then hauled back across to ETI for the quick fixes.
We wanted to 'be legal' because we would be travelling two months before heading back to Michigan.

As I recall, the Washington travel passes are only good for three days, and you can only apply for three permits in a 30 day period.

We tried to find all the options, too. But in the end, we just bit the bullet and registered by 'proxy'.
J&B Mitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Penn Yan, New York
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500, soon to be '18 Escape 21
Posts: 21
Timely subject; I'm in the midst of trying to register my 21' to be picked up in June, but with a twist. I plan to transfer the old plate from my old trailer. New York State requires a completed form 7501 to register. I plan to FedEx the form to my daughter as soon as I get it and she will complete the transaction at the DMV. NYS allows a photo copied registration form to be used on the road, so I'll have her scan and email me the copy. I'll already have my plate with me, so I should be good to go.

If I could get someone to scan the 7501 in Chilliwack or Washington State, (and provided NYS would accept the scanned document), I might be able to get it licensed in the course of a day! I know, wishful thinking, but maybe worth a try. Food for thought.

If all else fails, I can always get a temp transit permit In Washington and slink back home.
Stkshftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:56 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Manistee, Michigan
Trailer: 2012 Casita 16FD
Posts: 3
I hope that your registration goes well. I had some difficulty getting our new 17B registered. The requirements seem to vary between different DMV offices within the state.

We picked up our new trailer this spring in April. No problem, the folks at Escape are great. Stayed the first night at the Lynden KOA, then spent at few nights at Olympic National Park. Then headed home, no problem. When I went to the DMV to get the license plate and registration, all paperwork in hand. I was told I needed to have a "vehicle number and on-road equipment inspection" completed by a law enforcement officer. That was no cost, but had to set it up with the Michigan State Police. It went fine, but was an extra step in the process that was not expected. The DMV said that since the trailer came in to the USA through the state of Washington instead of Michigan the vehicle inspection was required. It doesn't make sense to me, but it does no good to question the DMV people or their process. The bottom line is; we got our license plate, registration, and title, but it was a little more hassle than expected.

Hope your process goes well. We are loving our new trailer.
TimJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #6
Member
 
J&B Mitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Traverse City, Michigan
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Mitt-Inn"
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJan View Post
...I was told I needed to have a "vehicle number and on-road equipment inspection" completed by a law enforcement officer. That was no cost, but had to set it up with the Michigan State Police ... It doesn't make sense to me, but it does no good to question the DMV people or their process.
Long before we went to pick up the trailer, we made an appointment and did a 'trial run-thru' with the SOS office in Traverse City, just to make sure that we would have everything we needed. As with you, they informed us that we would need to have the VIN inspection in Michigan.

Well, we took away all that information, then contacted the SOS office at the state capital, and got a different story: The office in Lansing said that the in-state inspection wasn't necessary because the import documentation including the 7501 form verified the VIN and compliance when the trailer was imported to the U.S. They confirmed that to us by email.

Copies of that email ruling and contact information from Lansing became part of the document collection when 'our agent' (Jan's sister) registered our trailer at the local office in Traverse City. No inspection required.
J&B Mitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:25 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Trailer: 2018 21'
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
We received our VIN number last week and started on the adventure of insurance and registration.

The insurance part went pretty well once we sent them a link to the ETI website and pointed out it was not a stick built trailer from KZ or the other longer versions of Escape listed in their dropdowns. The coverage we chose was from Progressive for replacement cost, around $400 per year.

The adventure to the DMV was not so productive......

We tried two different spots and had the same response, without the import stamp on the 5106 form showing that it entered the country they could not proceed.

1. I went with progressive also for similar rates.
2. License Plate: I took everything Escape gave me and went to the Sec of State office. It took a short explanation about who/where Escape was but after that, they took care of me and I was on the road within 15 minutes with my license plate (a little poorer after paying sales tax, fees...). They were courteous, helpful, and professional.

I think the key is getting the right person at the right office. Sorry it didn't go well for you.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:08 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sylvan Lake, Michigan
Trailer: 2018 19' "Our Escape Eggs it"
Posts: 2
Michigan Plates, Title and Taxes...Oh My !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
1. I went with progressive also for similar rates.
2. License Plate: I took everything Escape gave me and went to the Sec of State office. It took a short explanation about who/where Escape was but after that, they took care of me and I was on the road within 15 minutes with my license plate (a little poorer after paying sales tax, fees...). They were courteous, helpful, and professional.

I think the key is getting the right person at the right office. Sorry it didn't go well for you.
We ventured out this morning to Sec of State... First stop Flint Sec of State on Fenton Rd. After a two hour wait we were told its a no go. We then went to Davison Sec of State and again after a 2 hour wait we were able to walk out with Plate in hand. No problems No issues.
Lesson learned. Don't give up. We are down to the wire and plan to leave for BC in a few days. Our hatch date in June 1st.
Bob and Sue
Best Days Ever !
bob r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Fenton, Michigan
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 ft
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob r View Post
We ventured out this morning to Sec of State... First stop Flint Sec of State on Fenton Rd. After a two hour wait we were told its a no go. We then went to Davison Sec of State and again after a 2 hour wait we were able to walk out with Plate in hand. No problems No issues.
Lesson learned. Don't give up. We are down to the wire and plan to leave for BC in a few days. Our hatch date in June 1st.
Bob and Sue
Best Days Ever !
I sent you a PM Bob, I'm going there tomorrow and hoping for good luck
__________________

TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.