Notarized bill of sale required for NJ title - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Notarized bill of sale required for NJ title

We recently applied for a NJ title for our 2017 Escape 19. The MVC in NJ accepted all of our documents except the bill of sale because it was not notarized. I have called the MVC multiple times already and explained that Escape Trailers is a manufacturer/dealer and our names are on the certificate of origin. Each time I was told that the bill of sale still needs to be notarized IN CANADA. Has anyone else on the forum needed to have their bill of sale notarized? I have already made the request to Escape for it but I still can't understand why NJ needs the notarization.
markh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Did you have to notarize your vehicle when getting tags for it? A notary can be found most anywhere, find out what need to be notarized, your signature or what? The certificate of origin is what you need for registration, I'm not sure there is a "bill of sale" here.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Did you have to notarize your vehicle when getting tags for it? A notary can be found most anywhere, find out what need to be notarized, your signature or what? The certificate of origin is what you need for registration, I'm not sure there is a "bill of sale" here.
They want the seller's signature on the bill of sale notarized IN CANADA. I don't understand why but I will just give them what they need so we can get our title.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Sounds like you hit a typical bureaucratic buzzsaw. There's no such requirement if you read through the documents NJ has put online, but trust me, there's no telling that to the folks at a DMV - in any state.

I would suggest perhaps trying another office, maybe one that's more rural. You often get a different answer depending on where you go, and who you ask.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Sounds like you hit a typical bureaucratic buzzsaw. There's no such requirement if you read through the documents NJ has put online, but trust me, there's no telling that to the folks at a DMV - in any state.

I would suggest perhaps trying another office, maybe one that's more rural. You often get a different answer depending on where you go, and who you ask.
Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately there is only one office in NJ that processes foreign titles. I could probably fight this requirement and win but I don't have the patience and time to do so.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by markh View Post
Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately there is only one office in NJ that processes foreign titles. I could probably fight this requirement and win but I don't have the patience and time to do so.
I would ask them to show you where that requirement is seen --- they must be seeing it somewhere to insist upon it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:12 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 1721
In NC we too had to have a notarized Bill of Sale (Cert of Origin). We had Escape get it notarized and sent to us so we could obtain plates. Escape does charge a fee to do this, but it was worth the cost to get past that part of the process.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021- 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
In NC we too had to have a notarized Bill of Sale (Cert of Origin). We had Escape get it notarized and sent to us so we could obtain plates. Escape does charge a fee to do this, but it was worth the cost to get past that part of the process.
Good to know. Will ETI notarize the Bill of Sale when you purchase in person? Do they have a notary on site?
Old 10-03-2017, 08:22 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
You're probably right. It's easier in the long run to just have Escape notarize the Bill of Sale.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by splicer View Post
Good to know. Will ETI notarize the Bill of Sale when you purchase in person? Do they have a notary on site?
I believe notary works differently in Canada (not as many notary's). If I remember correctly, Escape coordinates with their bank to have the certificate of origin and/or bill of sale notarized. Before your Escape is complete, they will mail you forms like the bill of sale, import docs, and such. I recommend asking your primary contact at Escape to have the Cert or Origin and/or bill of sale notarized before they mail it to you. They did this for us and we were able to obtain plates before we went to Canada for orientation and pickup. Your state laws will dictate what forms must be notarized (if applicable).
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
They want the seller's signature on the bill of sale notarized IN CANADA. I don't understand why but I will just give them what they need so we can get our title.
The bill of sale has the price you paid and good ol’ NJ wants to make sure they get every bit of tax out of you. Make sure they convert the cost to USD or you’ll be paying more than you should.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
I guess I'm glad to hear that NJ isn't the only state with this requirement. I thought I was being singled out. The folks at Escape were very helpful in getting our Bill of Sale notarized. They were able to get an appointment with their notary the same day I called and the new bill of sale will be mailed to me today.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:35 PM   #13

Trailer: Used to own a 17B and a 19 Escape
I had a really tough time getting title and registering my Escape trailer last year in NJ. I didn't need to get the Bil of Sale notarized and if I remember correctly it only needs to be notarized in Canada if it is a transaction with an individual. For a company notarization was not necessary. I could be wrong or they changed the rules. What I did need to do was send the stamped customs form back to the broker and have them sign it in ink. It went back and forth with them on some other issues and even spoke to supervisors. At the end of the day they wouldn't budge on anything. Good Luck! NJ is an awesome
ichrisdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
....... The folks at Escape were very helpful in getting our Bill of Sale notarized. ......
Hi markh,

I am reviving this old email because I am at the point to ask ETI to get my Bill of Sale notarized. ETI told me they can notarize the Bill of Sale in Canadian dollars but not in US dollars. Was your notarized Bill of Sale in US dollars? I would guess it had to be otherwise I don't think NJ MVC would accept it. Can you please clarify?

I am getting my certificate of origin notarized and my understanding is ETI will send me my Bill of Sale in US dollars but without notarization. Is this a no go?

And from what I read it seems to get our Escape trailer registered in NJ is a very cumbersome process. We need to mail our documents to the Trenton central office which is the only place that handles this matter and hopefully do not run into too many rejections and resubmissions. I don't know at which step I need to pay sales tax, how it is calculated and if I need to mail in the check or go to a local MVC office to pay it. And do I get the trailer's license plate from a local MVC if that's where I go and make payment? I called the MVC help line twice and they were not very helpful explaining the process, and they sent me an email with an attached instruction sheet and said the process is pretty self explanatory. To me it doesn't look all that self explanatory at all. So any info or tips on this matter will be greatly appreciated from you or anyone else who went through it or know how this NJ MVC process works.
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:30 PM   #15

You don't need anything notarized for NJ DMV Special Title unit. What you need is the customs importation form signed in ink by the import broker. So you need Form 7501 physically signed by Laura Myers. Call and speak to Tammy. Just stay on top of ETI as you get close to pickup to make sure this is done. You can tell her that they did it for Chris Rogers in NJ. NJ wants all the Originals of everything so make sure you mail it overnight with tracking etc.

Here is what I did and what I needed. I send copies of everything first round to make sure they have my info to set up a case number. There is a short form on NJs website to fill out. I didn't send the sales tax check yet. Then they send a list requesting originals of everything. So I mailed them the originals with the sales tax payment. The sales tax is on the base price only so I converted what I paid in CAD$ to US$ for the base price only on a little spread sheet and then I mailed that as the final piece. NJ Special Title Unit will send you title and you take that to local DMV office to get plates. If you're interested send me a PM with your number and I can talk you through it.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:33 PM   #16

I have purchased two trailers from ETI and the latest was last summer 2018 and I didn't need anything notarized. Just the signed 7501.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:40 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Sounds like Trenton, NJ is similar to Harrisburg, Pa. For every Escape I have purchased I have run into something similar. I always title the trailer at a local titling place in York, pay the sales tax (6%), get my tags and they send everything to Harrisburg. About 3 months later I receive a letter from Harrisburg that I owe a 6% excise tax on a trailer imported from Canada. I ask the person what building are they located and they give me the same address as DMV headquarters. I ask them if DMV is in their building and they say yes, 3 floors down. I then said that I have already paid a 6% sales tax to DMV and that the excise tax is not applicable. They asked me to mail them a copy of the sales tax paid, I told them to get off their butt and take the elevator down and get it themselves. Case closed. Two years later, same scenario, I called, and they said "Oh I see you had the same issue 2 years ago, "Yes" and for them to do the same. Repeated again on my 3rd Escape, again, case closed. I expect not to receive the letter a 4th time, hopefully.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:34 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator36 View Post
ETI told me they can notarize the Bill of Sale in Canadian dollars but not in US dollars. Was your notarized Bill of Sale in US dollars? I would guess it had to be otherwise I don't think NJ MVC would accept it.
Aside from the question of whether it required or not, it is not possible to ETI to state the sale price in U.S. dollars, because the price was in Canadian dollars and they were paid in Canadian dollars. If an agency in the U.S. needs the value in U.S. dollars, they can convert the value themselves or get you to provide the value.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:46 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
I understand financially and legally that should be the way, I am trying to find out from NJ Escape owners in their cases where the conversion step was done, who did it and how the rate was picked.
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:45 AM   #20

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Been a few years now but I needed ETI to put the $ in USD for the Registry, which they did, they were going to charge me sales tax based on whatever figure ETI used. ETI added a line under the original CAD with the USD. One would think the Registry folks could have done such, but that wasn't the case.