Oregon registration process change? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #21

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Yes Oregon rates our travel trailers as a vehicle. We can be under or over 8000 pounds on the rating system - but I just finished researching this - though you still helped me out with this information. I think we can only have 21 days for the permit which is a minor nuisance for us as we are starting a trip to Colorado - but can go through Ontario OR and finish this process. I just computed that the sales tax on $31,000 US dollars for this Oregon tax (.005) is $155 so that isn't too bad when one lived for a few years in the State of WA and paid a huge tax on buying vehicles. I can do this for our State! Thanks for your question. It helped.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by holo View Post
I finally got our new trailer registered today. There was misinformation given so I thought I should let Oregonians know. Maybe it will help to make things easier for future Escape owners.
The DMV handout for the new vehicle use tax stated it was 0.5% of cost in USD. When I went online to pay I was pleasantly surprised it is really 0.005%. My tax on a 17B was $125...enough to fix a couple pot holes.
I was told to bring the trailer in for a VIN check during registration. Not so. All the clerk wanted was the papers from Escape, vehicle use tax form and the border crossing arrival stamp. The trailer did look nice in the parking lot, though!
Title and registration was $233.00.
Now that this chore is over I can play with the new trailer!
Happy Trails.
I think the inspection will differ by person and office as new vehicles are clearly requited to have an inspection - VIN - check and EMISSIONS!! So Oregon classifies the trailer as a vehicle - but it is a bit vague. Done perfectly, I suspect they should make sure we have an Escape with the right VIN number - but I will take it down and just be ready. I suppose we could do some elaborate hoax, but why?, we would have a problem in the future with a wrong VIN number on our title!! So the staff who skip looking inside our Escape are to be forgiven with their very heavy work loads.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam2004 View Post
Bob - this is so helpful. We have a dilemma that you might have insight into. I read that the Oregon temporary permit is only for 21 days - is that true as far as you know? Our problem is that we delayed a long fall trip that includes visiting a dear 99 year old Aunt in Colorado and we want to pick up the trailer in a few weeks and drive to Colorado to see her straight from picking up the trailer. We want to be gone more than 21 days! I read that we might get away with having all the paperwork on board with the insurance paperwork and that one person drove for 4 months this was and didn't get stopped, but clearly we are nervous about this. Our only alternative is to make a long trip even longer by driving back down to NE Oregon and hoping the DMV in a City there would help us. If you want to give us any insights we would welcome them. If not, we plow ahead and will come to some decision prior to our trailer pickup! I appreciated knowing exactly what we needed to do at the DMV - but it is obvious that getting staff who have experienced this would be helpful.
I see Oregon only allows 10 days for temp permit on trailers - thought Bob points out you can date it when you want. Here is what Oregon DMV says on that:

RV'S AND TRAILERS - Allows the use of unregistered:

Campers;
Travel trailers; or
Motor homes.
Requirements:

$32 fee for 1 to 10 days;
Length of the RV (cannot be over 45 feet long);
Amount of time you want the permit for (1 to 10 days);
Dates you will use the permit, such as "08-01-16 through 08-04-16"; and
Proof you own the vehicle, if you are not the owner on Oregon DMV records.
You can only buy permits for up to 10 days for the same RV in a 12-month period. You can buy multiple permits for less than 10 days, but the total days for a 12-month period cannot be more than 10.

To apply for this trip permit, see “Buy a Trip Permit” above.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:14 AM   #24

We had a very easy time at Bend OR DMV buying our $32 trip permit to place in the back window of the Escape. We intend to travel down to Ontario OR and go in for the "Vin number inspection" and to get the rest of the paperwork done for Oregon before continuing onto Colorado to visit 99 year old Aunt and check out the Rockies (weather permitting) and back by Utah -- more time in Utah if weather turns on us. It appears that other Escape owners in Bend OR got the pathway cleared and we hope this will be true in Ontario OR ---