Recent Exchange Rate Drops - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2015, 01:14 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
^^ Out of country medical coverage may/may not add a bit of a sting too. And don't buy cheese without checking your pacemaker first.
Hi: BCnomad... Best old cheddar though, and my pacemaker was FREE!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
FMB Florida for now
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #42

Trailer: 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Sure it does but be prepared to pay more, than you're used to, for gas, booze and cigarettes. We tax the hell out of everything up here and those three are easy pickins for the tax man.
Well, I know it will be cheaper than last summer when I was up there. As for the booze and cigs, I can't afford them even here in the U.S. Which is OT, but reminds me of a very expensive pickup I saw in the oil patch of Colorado with a bumper sticker that read, "I can't afford cigarettes."
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:24 PM   #43

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Sure it does but be prepared to pay more, than you're used to, for gas, booze and cigarettes. We tax the hell out of everything up here and those three are easy pickins for the tax man.
You are spot on about the cost of booze in Canada. We have some close friends that spent several weeks in Western Canada last summer and they couldn't believe the prices for Alcohol. They had to go on the Wagon until they returned home!
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
We take delivery on August 13th. Can't wait! I sent a cashiers check this week to lock in the exchange rate for at least 95% of the cost. I know the rates may get better but then again may get worse. I'm comfortable we locked in our cost and took the variability out of it. The check cleared immediately and I'm happy with the exchange rate we got! On to finalizing the build sheet.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
We take delivery on August 13th. Can't wait! I sent a cashiers check this week to lock in the exchange rate for at least 95% of the cost. I know the rates may get better but then again may get worse. I'm comfortable we locked in our cost and took the variability out of it. The check cleared immediately and I'm happy with the exchange rate we got! On to finalizing the build sheet.
You can't go wrong at today's rate. It might go lower, but you got a great rate! I hedged my bet on my 21: sent the first payment (60%) three weeks ago; the second payment (35%) ten days ago; and I will pay the balance upon pickup. It will probably go lower, but I feel good about the timing.
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:38 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
You can't go wrong at today's rate. It might go lower, but you got a great rate! I hedged my bet on my 21: sent the first payment (60%) three weeks ago; the second payment (35%) ten days ago; and I will pay the balance upon pickup. It will probably go lower, but I feel good about the timing.
Ditto. Now on to finalizing the build sheet then the hard part is done and the fun can begin.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:11 AM   #47

Trailer: Airstream shopping for Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
My gut feeling is its going lower, but who knows? The X-Factor for me was the ten day lag time between my mailing them a check and the receipt and subsequent deposit. That would be a long, nail biting wait if rates shifted and the dollar was sinking. Good luck with whatever choice you make!
Why can't one just use a credit card to put the deposit down - that way it will go through on the exchange rate on the date of transaction.
Fiberglass Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:31 AM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm sure you could, but it would cost you.
You would pay the exchange rate that the card company determines, plus what ever fees they apply. Given that they charge 19 to 29 per cent interest on outstanding balances, I doubt that they are your best option. The deposit would be probably be considered a cash withdrawal so you would start paying interest as soon as the transaction was made.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:40 AM   #49

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Credit union cards often have excellent exchange rates and minimal fees. Getting yourself one for some payments for this alone could be well worth it. Be advised though that beyond small amounts, a credit union (or bank) would likely have a limit on the amount that could be charged for one transaction, so you would need to check on that.

There were also no international transaction fees being charged by Discover and Capital a while back, have not checked lately, whereas others always tack them on.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:16 AM   #50

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberglass Fan View Post
Why can't one just use a credit card to put the deposit down - that way it will go through on the exchange rate on the date of transaction.
ETI gets charged a fee for processing a credit card transaction, pretty hefty fee if it's a US bank.That is why they limit their use by customers. There is no short cut to the exchange rate gamble, unless you have your own wire service.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:27 AM   #51

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
If one lives in Canada and wants to take the same 'advantage' that our US friends are enjoying, why not buy some US Dollars now and use them when needed. If the rates go up or down...you're bouyant.
Start a U.S. account at a Canadian Bank. May as well make some interest at the same time.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #52

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
If one lives in Canada and wants to take the same 'advantage' that our US friends are enjoying, why not buy some US Dollars now and use them when needed. If the rates go up or down...you're bouyant.
Start a U.S. account at a Canadian Bank. May as well make some interest at the same time.
My Canadian Credit Union doesn't offer an American dollar savings account. Only a chequeing account. However the current exchange rate does provide some growth.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote