Registering in California - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2015, 10:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 19" -Are we there yet?-
Registering in California

So I got my paper work (no trailer yet, I pick it up in a couple of weeks) and I first start with AAA. They tell me they can't do the registration and that I need to go to the DMV. The DMV says they can't do the registration until I have the vehicle. So I don't know what to do now. I guess pick up the trailer and go on my trip and register when I return. Any advice or similar experiences with this? I'm completely frustrated with the whole California DMV registration process.

-e
erikcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikcampbell View Post
So I got my paper work (no trailer yet, I pick it up in a couple of weeks) and I first start with AAA. They tell me they can't do the registration and that I need to go to the DMV. The DMV says they can't do the registration until I have the vehicle. So I don't know what to do now. I guess pick up the trailer and go on my trip and register when I return. Any advice or similar experiences with this? I'm completely frustrated with the whole California DMV registration process.

-e
Escape will give you papers that you will need for registering in California . That is all you need to travel home with if stopped which you probably won't . We weren't . We called Highway patrol before our pickup and your paperwork is all you need . You will have 20 days to get to DMV . They have to see trailer to check vin . You pay your taxes . You should get your plate and be good to go . Be prepared it is a wait and the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing . They get confused . Just be patient . It will get solved . You want to pay taxes on what you paid . That's it . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #3

We also picked up Nov 14 , 2013 . Pat
Old 11-03-2015, 11:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
As mentioned previously by others, either go to a small DMV when coming into CA from the North, i.e. Alturas, or Yreka and it will be much easier than back in the big city. Or wait and go to your AAA office. My experience in Alturas was brief.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
As mentioned previously by others, either go to a small DMV when coming into CA from the North, i.e. Alturas, or Yreka and it will be much easier than back in the big city. Or wait and go to your AAA office. My experience in Alturas was brief.
The first time Rossue you can't go to AAA. Pat
Old 11-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Eric - Soon after I received the Escape paperwork, I took the package to the AAA on Santa Margarita Pkwy in Mission Viejo and they processed it without any issues.

They also converted the CDN$ purchase price to US$ based on that days rate to determine the correct fee.

Might try talking to someone else at AAA.

Rick
46indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
RE: "Might try talking to someone else at AAA."

Always good advice, be it AAA or the DMV. Before going to Chilliwack my local DMV insisted they had to see the trailer before they would issue me plates and they didn't care I had all the Escape paperwork I needed. I went to another DMV and... at first the clerk said the same thing to me but I asked her to speak to her supervisor. He reviewed my documents and issued the plates. I was good to go.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
California requires a "Verification of Vehicle" to register an out of state vehicle prior to registration. (As does Arizona.) https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...dbk/ch1/ch1_25

If you find someone who does not know the law you may get lucky and get plates/registration without the verification.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
We towed our trailer 2700 miles home without a plate and were never bothered. I was also concerned about it but just have your paperwork and you should be OK. Now as for getting it registered at the DMV here in Kansas, that is a whole another story. It is all different from state to state and even from office to office so all I can say is, good luck. That probably will be the worst part of the whole buying process. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46indian View Post
Eric - Soon after I received the Escape paperwork, I took the package to the AAA on Santa Margarita Pkwy in Mission Viejo and they processed it without any issues.

They also converted the CDN$ purchase price to US$ based on that days rate to determine the correct fee.

Rick
Sounds like you lucked onto someone who didn't know the rules; for one they measure the trailer. Also there is a difference between a travel trailer and a small utility trailer in CA. The latter gets registration good for five years I believe. Hopefully you got that too!

AAA here told me they stopped doing import trailers "a few years ago", so yes Pat I misspoke.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46indian View Post

Rick
We were told at AAA you have to go to DMV for first time . Guess I would call first . Seams like just like DMV , AAA gives out different answers to different people .Pat
Old 11-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Sounds like you lucked onto someone who didn't know the rules; for one they measure the trailer. Also there is a difference between a travel trailer and a small utility trailer in CA. The latter gets registration good for five years I believe. Hopefully you got that too!

AAA here told me they stopped doing import trailers "a few years ago", so yes Pat I misspoke.
No problem Rossue . Pat
Old 11-04-2015, 12:44 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I got my papers while visiting Escape in Chilliwack. I took them to DMV in Juneau and requested registration and plates. Clerk wanted to inspect my trailer. "That will be hard cause I'm in Juneau and my trailer is in southern BC". Turns out Alaska DMV won't issue plates without an inspection. I told them that I had purchased a 6X10' cargo trailer in Washington state, it was still there, earlier this summer and was issued plates without an inspection. Seems the problem with my Escape was that it was built in Canada where as my cargo trailer was built in Idaho.

The cost for registration and plates for two years in Alaska will be .... drum roll ... $29.00! Alaska has no state sales tax.

Very frustrated, I decided to continue my education ... and went to my insurance agent. My plan was (is ?) to store my trailer in Wash. state ... fly or ferry in to go on camping trips. Was told that my trailer must be insured in the state that it lives in.

Full replacement, $500. deductible with Progressive in Washington state is $288/year

Same as above in Alaska is $414/year

I am wondering if I can register/license in Oregon (another no sales tax state)? What are the fees for Oregon? For Washington, do you have to pay sales tax on the Escape purchase price? Washington sales tax nears 10%.

Actually it would be interesting to see what the fees are for all the states.

Tom
Old 11-04-2015, 01:34 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Erik,
Best bet is to go where Rick went (post #6).
Ventura County AAA offices all say "we don't have anyone certified by DMV to do it", or "DMV won't let us".
Caution: not all DMV offices do trailers (E.G. I made an appointment with the Santa Paula office to "register a travel trailer". When I got there, the second employee I talked to said they don't do trailers there, go to Ventura.
After 2 trips to Ventura, I finally got a temp., temp. paper sticker.

VIN number certification is DMV form REG.31. You might be able to get a CHP office to do it; it will save time at DMV.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:48 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Sales taxes vary widely from state to state and there are a lot of add ons depending where you live. For example, Olathe collects a 1/8% sales tax for street improvement. Our total sales tax rate here is 9.225% so it tends to bite plus we pay full rate on groceries. Getting the plate for the 21 cost me $2955.38 and I paid it just to get out of there after a 45 minute battle. They charged me on what I paid ETI in US dollars even though the rate was better when I was getting the plate. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
We had to take the trailer to the DMV for inspection and they wanted a bill of sale - finally they took all the paperwork ETI had given us and inspected the trailer and issued plates. I had created a spread sheet with what we paid in Canadian and US dollars and they accepted that and charged us sales tax on the US converted amount.
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneM. View Post
We had to take the trailer to the DMV for inspection and they wanted a bill of sale - finally they took all the paperwork ETI had given us and inspected the trailer and issued plates. ....
I wish that had happened to us. We took all the paperwork, had copies of the cancelled checks to show the U.S. funds. It still took two trips to DMV, and then they sent all the paperwork to Sacramento. So,.... maybe I'll get a plate in the mail this year.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
I wish that had happened to us. We took all the paperwork, had copies of the cancelled checks to show the U.S. funds. It still took two trips to DMV, and then they sent all the paperwork to Sacramento. So,.... maybe I'll get a plate in the mail this year.
Actually took us 3 times at DMV . They didn't know what to do so they put us in suspension . Don't ask . Each time 3-4 hours . We paid the tax bill on balance Tammy had on our papers . It was over 2100. They said we were the first Escape trailer in California . That's funny we saw Grego's in Lompac . And we're aware of Hot fish taco's too . I am sure there were others but just those 2 were the only ones were going to see . Wait for this .... They gave us the plate so even though I wasn't really registered I put the plate on trailer . I figured I did everything I was supposed to do , got the trailer in there for them to see , check trailer and vin . ,in the 20 days , paid my taxes and they still owed me 54 which I finally got after about 5-6 mo .and our registration papers after 4 mo . I just did what I was supposed to do and let them get their act together . Pretty sad how gov. works but I eventually forgot all this and it did get finished . Just do what you are responsible for . I would still go camping , carrying all my papers . If they saw trailer and recorded your vin and took your money I wouldn't worry about it . That 's me . You have to do what makes you comfortable . Pat
Old 11-04-2015, 07:50 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post

I am wondering if I can register/license in Oregon (another no sales tax state)? What are the fees for Oregon? For Washington, do you have to pay sales tax on the Escape purchase price? Washington sales tax nears 10%.

Actually it would be interesting to see what the fees are for all the states.

Tom
Generally need to register a vehicle where it is garaged. You have an unusual situation though. You can ask the Oregon DMV and probably need to ask more than once to get a correct answer from someone who knows. This is assuming you would fly into Oregon instead of Washington. Other Alaskans may have done this so you might look for some of them to find out their set-up.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:24 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 21', "Cardinals' Nest"
Registering in California

Wow! I thought my experience at DMV was bad, but you guys have one-upped me!

Maybe my experience can help someone else. I didn't bother to make a reservation at DMV, because I was going to get there before they opened and be near the first in line. Actually I was first in line at Pleasanton DMV and that person finished with me by about 8:15 am – that's when I learned that she would only fill in the VIN Number Certification. I then had to take that inside and get in the queue to get the other paperwork and plates. I was finally out of there about 1 pm, if I had made an appointment, I would have been out in about an hour.

During this time, after the VIN certification, the Jeep GC and Escape 21' were parked in the motorcycle driving course, where the initial person directed me; said that area was rarely used, they'd come and get me if I was in the way.

I must have spent at least half an hour after I got called to the counter. The rules are apparently complex for travel trailers, so my clerk brought more experienced staff in to help, including someone they called the "site auditor" (?). Even with all that expertise, they still messed up. I got the plates, but several weeks later we got a letter from DMV asking for the original Certificate of Origin, which I still had, so the Pleasanton Office had only made a copy of it. A few weeks after sending that in, we got the Title Certificate.

I figured out what we actually paid in US$ over several payments, each at a different exchange rate. They took that number to compute the sales tax without giving me the third degree. I probably could have gotten by with a more favorable number, such as converting the entire bill in Canadian dollars on either the day we picked up "Cardinal's Nest" or on the day I was at DMV.
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote