Registering in California - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-03-2015, 11:43 PM   #1
Member
 
erikcampbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Whittier, California
Trailer: 2015 19" -Are we there yet?-
Posts: 62
Registering in California

So I got my paper work (no trailer yet, I pick it up in a couple of weeks) and I first start with AAA. They tell me they can't do the registration and that I need to go to the DMV. The DMV says they can't do the registration until I have the vehicle. So I don't know what to do now. I guess pick up the trailer and go on my trip and register when I return. Any advice or similar experiences with this? I'm completely frustrated with the whole California DMV registration process.

-e
__________________

erikcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:57 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikcampbell View Post
So I got my paper work (no trailer yet, I pick it up in a couple of weeks) and I first start with AAA. They tell me they can't do the registration and that I need to go to the DMV. The DMV says they can't do the registration until I have the vehicle. So I don't know what to do now. I guess pick up the trailer and go on my trip and register when I return. Any advice or similar experiences with this? I'm completely frustrated with the whole California DMV registration process.

-e
Escape will give you papers that you will need for registering in California . That is all you need to travel home with if stopped which you probably won't . We weren't . We called Highway patrol before our pickup and your paperwork is all you need . You will have 20 days to get to DMV . They have to see trailer to check vin . You pay your taxes . You should get your plate and be good to go . Be prepared it is a wait and the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing . They get confused . Just be patient . It will get solved . You want to pay taxes on what you paid . That's it . Pat
__________________

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:59 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,008
We also picked up Nov 14 , 2013 . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:32 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Los Osos, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Posts: 2,421
As mentioned previously by others, either go to a small DMV when coming into CA from the North, i.e. Alturas, or Yreka and it will be much easier than back in the big city. Or wait and go to your AAA office. My experience in Alturas was brief.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:52 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
As mentioned previously by others, either go to a small DMV when coming into CA from the North, i.e. Alturas, or Yreka and it will be much easier than back in the big city. Or wait and go to your AAA office. My experience in Alturas was brief.
The first time Rossue you can't go to AAA. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: mission viejo, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Posts: 27
Eric - Soon after I received the Escape paperwork, I took the package to the AAA on Santa Margarita Pkwy in Mission Viejo and they processed it without any issues.

They also converted the CDN$ purchase price to US$ based on that days rate to determine the correct fee.

Might try talking to someone else at AAA.

Rick
46indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edgewood, New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 2,063
RE: "Might try talking to someone else at AAA."

Always good advice, be it AAA or the DMV. Before going to Chilliwack my local DMV insisted they had to see the trailer before they would issue me plates and they didn't care I had all the Escape paperwork I needed. I went to another DMV and... at first the clerk said the same thing to me but I asked her to speak to her supervisor. He reviewed my documents and issued the plates. I was good to go.
__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ?, Arizona
Trailer: ?
Posts: 736
California requires a "Verification of Vehicle" to register an out of state vehicle prior to registration. (As does Arizona.) https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...dbk/ch1/ch1_25

If you find someone who does not know the law you may get lucky and get plates/registration without the verification.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:46 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Posts: 997
We towed our trailer 2700 miles home without a plate and were never bothered. I was also concerned about it but just have your paperwork and you should be OK. Now as for getting it registered at the DMV here in Kansas, that is a whole another story. It is all different from state to state and even from office to office so all I can say is, good luck. That probably will be the worst part of the whole buying process. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:56 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Los Osos, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Posts: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46indian View Post
Eric - Soon after I received the Escape paperwork, I took the package to the AAA on Santa Margarita Pkwy in Mission Viejo and they processed it without any issues.

They also converted the CDN$ purchase price to US$ based on that days rate to determine the correct fee.

Might try talking to someone else at AAA.

Rick
Sounds like you lucked onto someone who didn't know the rules; for one they measure the trailer. Also there is a difference between a travel trailer and a small utility trailer in CA. The latter gets registration good for five years I believe. Hopefully you got that too!

AAA here told me they stopped doing import trailers "a few years ago", so yes Pat I misspoke.
__________________

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.