registering with the state and getting plates - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2017, 08:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot TF20 DLX Fifth Wheel
registering with the state and getting plates

So, when I take my new-to-me used car to the courthouse to register the purchase and get the license and registration, all I need to provide is the prior registration and the insurance information and they happily take my money and hand me plates and stuff. They don't go outside and look at the vehicle or do anything else to verify that the information that I'm providing is correct. They just process your request...

So, when I order my Escape, will ETI provide me with all the necessary paperwork prior to taking possession of the trailer to get the plates and registration for transport home?

Jus' sayin',...if'n they'll give me the paperwork, I can register the trailer and I can get plates, crossing state lines and stuff will be smooooth sailing...
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
It is not the same because you are importing a trailer from another country. You will have to ask at your county how they do that. Or someone with an Escape in KY can tell you. Different offices, however, often have different ideas on that!
Escape will give you paperwork about a month in advance.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
So, when I order my Escape, will ETI provide me with all the necessary paperwork prior to taking possession of the trailer to get the plates and registration for transport home?
Yes, but ...

Escape provides appropriate paperwork prior to delivery, but you still might have issues. If you look at the many threads on this topic, you'll see that it depends on the particular requirements of your state, and, especially since the trailer is being imported, it often seems to depend on the particular office/clerk you are talking to. Perhaps someone who has previously registered an Escape in KY will chime in; otherwise, you'll have to try it and see. Good news is, I haven't seen any reports of issues for people towing their trailer home without plates in those cases where it's necessary. We were able to take plates with us to pick up the trailer, but my impression is that most people are not able to do that due to either inspection requirements or requirements around customs paperwork.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
It is not the same because you are importing a trailer from another country. You will have to ask at your county how they do that. Or someone with an Escape in KY can tell you. Different offices, however, often have different ideas on that!
Escape will give you paperwork about a month in advance.
On the day you receive your trailer, in the US, from the driver who took it through the border and customs, you get these documents:
-Certificate of Origin for a trailer. This document by ETI states that ETI sold the trailer to whoever is indicated as purchaser (you!).

-Dept of Homeland Security, US Customs & Border Protection ENTRY SUMMARY. This document is prepared by the broker hired by ETI to export the trailer. U.S.Customs then verifies the trailer and its VIN number, then stamps the document "RELEASED", with the date. i.e. Export from Canada/Import to U.S. was successful.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I just got all my paper work in the mail from Escape they said it was all I need to get my plates in WA ? I asked earlier and the licensing people said they don't need to see the trailer. I'm going down in the next few days to see if I can get it done before I get the trailer. I know some states need to inspect the trailer but I don't think I will have a problem here but we will see!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
I picked my 19 foot up in May. I tried to get my plates before I picked up the trailer but the licensing office here in Snohomish wa needed to see that it had cleared customs and they needed the invoice in US dollars. When I made the final payment ETI gave me the invoice in US dollars. I brought the trailer home on a WA state temp plate and got my permanent plates after. I would think that every state might have their own requirements
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I just got all my paper work in the mail from Escape they said it was all I need to get my plates in WA ? I asked earlier and the licensing people said they don't need to see the trailer. I'm going down in the next few days to see if I can get it done before I get the trailer. I know some states need to inspect the trailer but I don't think I will have a problem here but we will see!
Washington State is easy. I did not get any temporary license plate, just drove the trailer down from Sumas, parked it, went to the DMV with the paperwork and that was that. Don't get into a stew about licensing it in this state. And as others have said, we haven't read of anyone on this forum ever getting pulled over for not having plates on a brand new trailer. There are enough other other things to stew about...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:43 PM   #8

Trailer: None now
The problem is, it's not just the fact that every state has its own maze that you need to work through to get the plates and title. It's every office can have its own interpretations of the rules that cause more frustrations. I went back through the postings looking at how Florida handled it and made sure I had everything needed. I still figured there would be some form that would be needed or some missing document I would need to contact Escape for. But instead it took 20 something minutes from when I got in line to when I walked out with the title and plates.
And about a month later noticed someone over on the east coast of Florida was having problems doing the exact same thing.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:41 AM   #9

Took my paper work in and 10 minutes later got my new plate. We had to go to the web site to get the length and she converted the deposit to us funds and added back onto the final payment but close enough 3 grand check and it was done! I had budgeted 3 grand so no surprise but it still hurts.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:42 AM   #10

Now I just need to head to Chilliwack in two weeks and pick her up!

Tags
license, ordering, paperwork, registration