Registration question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2015, 06:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape, 19'
Registration question

Apologies if this has been covered, I couldn't find the topic in a search.
Just received paperwork from ETI, so am starting to think about registration and wondering about showing a value in USD since all paperwork is quoted in Canadian dollars. I am in Calif so if anyone has any tips for me before I brave the DMV nightmare, it would be appreciated, since no freaking way I could get anyone on the phone....thanx, Karen
KarenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Don't know what paperwork you have but our build sheet has both Canadian and U.S. dollars.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #3

Interesting Cathy, as ours says all prices in Canadian funds. I have a call in to Escape but haven't heard back.....Karen
Old 05-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Interesting Cathy, as ours says all prices in Canadian funds. I have a call in to Escape but haven't heard back.....Karen
Your final sheet should have a row for Payments in Canadian Funds, Payments in US Funds, Balance Owing in Canadian Funds, and Balance Owing in US Funds. If it doesn't, let Tammy Know next week (She's at the Escape Rally until then) and she will probably send you an updated one for registration purposes. The standard caption at the bottom that reads "all prices are in Canadian funds" appears on all the build sheets.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Hopefully Escape will give you paperwork that shows costs in USD as well -- might save you some fees. We had no problem coming home from Canada with our new trailer with no plates. I set up an appointment with the Placerville DMV office before we left because they said THEY had to measure it to determine appropriate fees. I get there for the appt, do some inside work, then walk out with the DMV inspector. She looks at the trailer, turns to me and says, "How long is it?" I say "19 feet." We walk back inside and finish up. Amazingly, the "fee" total was pretty much equivalent to the CA sales tax rate.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Have you only made the deposit? If you have made any other payment, it should be in both on the second or last page.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 June 25th Escape 19'
Hi Karen B,
We have our registration in hand in FL. We pick up on June 26!! It simply took a call to ETI asking for the breakdown and conversion. This first appeared on emails after our request. BUT it took about 10 days in mail to get us a final copy after the entire trailer was paid. Florida accepted the document we presented for our sales tax and registration payment. Of course I don't know what CA demands. We checked that first.
Enjoy the waiting. We're on pins and needles.
Kathy
seastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Apologies if this has been covered, I couldn't find the topic in a search.
Just received paperwork from ETI, so am starting to think about registration and wondering about showing a value in USD since all paperwork is quoted in Canadian dollars. I am in Calif so if anyone has any tips for me before I brave the DMV nightmare, it would be appreciated, since no freaking way I could get anyone on the phone....thanx, Karen
Welcome Kathy . We called Escape and they sent us paperwork in USD for registration . Our original paper work was in Canadian dollars . I never showed DMV that paperwork only the USD paperwork . That is what we were taxed on . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:00 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
our build sheet was only in Canadian Dollars. But the handy dandy folks at the registration bureau used google to convert to American Dollars. One way or another they screwed up the conversion. I tried to point this out to them, but they very patiently explained their knowledge of the internet and the wisdom of google to this old man. I didn't bother telling them that I had spent the last 15 years of my professional life designing web based applications. As a result we saved about $150 in sales tax. Moral of the story: They should be able to do the conversion for you. They will probably use the rate in effect the day you register the trailer, not necessarily the rate you used when you paid for the trailer. And when someone makes a mistake in your favor, your obligation is to tell them once. After that, keep your mouth shut and smile
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
And when someone makes a mistake in your favor, your obligation is to tell them once. After that, keep your mouth shut and smile

Can I "like" this?
Old 05-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by seastar View Post
Hi Karen B,
We have our registration in hand in FL. We pick up on June 26!! It simply took a call to ETI asking for the breakdown and conversion. This first appeared on emails after our request. BUT it took about 10 days in mail to get us a final copy after the entire trailer was paid. Florida accepted the document we presented for our sales tax and registration payment. Of course I don't know what CA demands. We checked that first.
Enjoy the waiting. We're on pins and needles.
Kathy
Hi Karen (and Kathy),
I have a different "Florida" story. I had Tammy provide the paperwork (bill of sale, essentially the build list) showing the Canadian price and the amount I paid in U.S. Dollars. In spite of the fact that I insisted that Tammy's figure was what I paid (I had copies of the 3 cashier's checks), the local DMV insisted on calculating the conversion based on the current exchange rate. Had it come out higher than what I had paid, I would have really caused a scene and insisted that the county's tax collector address the issue. However, when all was said and done, the sales tax was @ $200 less than what it should have been based upon what I paid ETI. Go figure. Anyway, my orientation is tomorrow (5/27) and I have my tag in the tow vehicle and will put it on the trailer as soon as I take possession in Sumas. I am glad Florida is one of the states that allows registration ahead of time as it eliminates the worry of a temporary tag expiring before one returns home.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #12

Thanks everyone, I'll just wait to hear from Escape to figure it out I guess....Karen
Old 05-26-2015, 11:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
I went to a local AAA in SoCal with the ETI paperwork. They used the current exchange rate that was found online (which was in my favor) and I walked out with the registration and license plate before I left to pick up the trailer in Chilliwack.
46indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:25 AM   #14

You are a AAA member, right?
Old 05-27-2015, 12:30 AM   #15

Cathy yes We are, but unfortunately the local AAA office is very small and doesn't handle first time registration of any vehicles, only renewals.....K
Old 05-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46indian View Post
I went to a local AAA in SoCal with the ETI paperwork. They used the current exchange rate that was found online (which was in my favor) and I walked out with the registration and license plate before I left to pick up the trailer in Chilliwack.
Rick,
Exactly which AAA office did you use. I'd really like to have the plate when we pick up our Escape. (I went to our AAA office in Camarillo last week to inquire, and they said that for a new import trailer I'd have to go to DMV.)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Rick,
Exactly which AAA office did you use. I'd really like to have the plate when we pick up our Escape. (I went to our AAA office in Camarillo last week to inquire, and they said that for a new import trailer I'd have to go to DMV.)
Told the same Don in Simi . Like to know where this AAA is too
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:58 PM   #18

Regarding the location of the CA AAA office:

I am in Mission Viejo (South Orange County) and it was a newly opened, small AAA office. There were absolutely no issues encountered with the ETI paperwork. The AAA rep went online, found the current exchange rate, calculated the CA tax, applied the DMV fees and finished it up in less than 30 minutes.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46indian View Post
Regarding the location of the CA AAA office:

I am in Mission Viejo (South Orange County) and it was a newly opened, small AAA office. There were absolutely no issues encountered with the ETI paperwork. The AAA rep went online, found the current exchange rate, calculated the CA tax, applied the DMV fees and finished it up in less than 30 minutes.
And you were already a member?
Old 05-27-2015, 08:23 PM   #20

Been a member for 52 years!