Returning to Canada (almost) right after Sumas delivery - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2015, 12:30 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie & Lucy View Post
Hi drpaddle,
Can you tell us how the experience was for you with the lesson at Valley Driving School? And how was your first excursion driving it home?
Thanks.
Well. We ended up not taking the class at Valley Driving School. I'm sure we would have benefited from it, but we had a small weather window. The course we had scheduled would have been accompanied by a very big, cold, windy rainstorm -- it was predicted to be a pretty bad one, and we wanted to get our trailer home in dry weather if we could.

I had some previous experience -- not a lot -- pulling very light (Hobie Cat) trailers, and I had read everything I could find about towing. We decided we would trust me to get us home -- a 180-mile drive, including a ferry trip so that we could avoid Seattle traffic.

We took possession of Toto at about 1:30 PM in Sumas, WA, and we drove -- hoping to beat the weather. We did not want to drive through big wind and rain on this first go, and we were prepared to stop for the night if the weather closed in early.

Of course the ETI folk had set up our Anderson hitch and set our brake controller up with at least a good starting point (we have since experimented with it and it's still pretty much where they set it).

We drove 55 mph max with our Nissan Frontier and an Anderson hitch. Got to experience roundabouts, busy freeways, narrow two-lane roads, coastal hills and curves, and the aforementioned ferry between Edmonds and Kingston, WA.

Got home just after dark -- and just as the wind was picking up and rain was starting to fall. Backed in (somewhat crookedly) to our (lucky for us) unusually large driveway. Sighs of relief. We talked about our trip over a glass of wine. My sense: not as challenging as I thought it might be, and MUCH easier than driving a rented 23-foot class C motorhome (something we had done a few years back).

After our going-home "lesson," we decided we would skip the driving school experience for now, and see how we did. We have just followed advice read elsewhere: "Drive like your grandmother." Works very well. No problems yet. We've been out on three long-weekend camping trips, all with back-in sites.

For others: if a course sounds good, and you can do it conveniently, I'd say... do it! Small investment (really the price is basically Peanuts, yes?), and you're almost certain to learn some useful things. The people at Valley Driving School seemed very nice, very professional when we chatted with them.

We look forward to reading about all your adventures and meeting you out on the road somewhere!
Old 03-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #22

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
A class would be worth it if all they provide is a trick on backing up a fifth wheel. Doesn't pivot like a bumper pull.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Great thread and very helpful to me. We pick up our 5.0TA in August and plan the same things: pick up in Sumas, re-cross the boarder, take driving lessons, then work our way across Canada to the Canadian Rockies, then down to Montana, etc. From reading this thread, it sounds to me like solutions to the license plate issue are state/local specific. Has anyone from Texas re-crossed back into Texas after delivery in Sumas? How did you solve getting your plates? Thanks.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:03 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
In September, if the Kansas DMV will issue me a paper plate for the 21, we would like to go back into Canada and work our way East. I am planning to give it a try and if it takes a couple of hours, so be it. Plus that would allow a quick stop at ETI to resolve any problems or questions. If Reace would advise against recrossing the border, it will have to be plan B. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:58 PM   #25

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Reopening this thread. I am picking up my trailer on the 23rd and hope to turn around and head to Osoyoos and the rally. Illinois will NOT issue a plate without the Customs stamped copy of the import declaration.

If I understand this thread properly, the hassle will be with the possibility of criminality and a look at all the paperwork for the trailer. I really don't want to be turned away at the border going back into Canada nor for that matter am I looking forward to the cross back into the USA if I do.

If I can't cross back into Canada my travel plans will need some very drastic changes.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
Reopening this thread. I am picking up my trailer on the 23rd and hope to turn around and head to Osoyoos and the rally. Illinois will NOT issue a plate without the Customs stamped copy of the import declaration.

If I understand this thread properly, the hassle will be with the possibility of criminality and a look at all the paperwork for the trailer. I really don't want to be turned away at the border going back into Canada nor for that matter am I looking forward to the cross back into the USA if I do.

If I can't cross back into Canada my travel plans will need some very drastic changes.
Hi: Steven M... Running without a plate is Ill annoy's fault. You will just have to show paper work and explain as necessary. We ran back to Ontario with the plate from our former 5.0. No one looked or even cared!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:

Steven, we will be in the exact same circumstance, (and same day pickup as you) as WI will not issue either. As far as anyone knows, the ETI paperwork has served to get everyone back to their home states with no problems. Since it is impossible to get your plates beforehand, I don't see how there could be any "criminality" involved.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:30 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Maybe get a license plate holder that says "I heart Canada - then a paper tag that says "Chillin' Of The Wack". That should do it.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
About a month ago I just decided to go to the source. I called the Canadian border crossing. I spoke to a very nice lady,explained the trailer situation and she assured me that bill of sale and ID would get us across borders both ways. They just want to make sure you own the trailer. I really quizzed her, a lot. I wanted to ask for her badge number, but refrained. So that being said, we're going to Canada!
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:56 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
About a month ago I just decided to go to the source. I called the Canadian border crossing. I spoke to a very nice lady,explained the trailer situation and she assured me that bill of sale and ID would get us across borders both ways. They just want to make sure you own the trailer. I really quizzed her, a lot. I wanted to ask for her badge number, but refrained. So that being said, we're going to Canada!
it all makes sense to me.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
it all makes sense to me.

It makes sense to me also. Just that some time has passed since this thread started and things change, really don't want any problems going either way.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:31 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Make sure you have insurance in effect for both the trailer and you tow. I get a letter from State Farm specifically stating I have Canadian coverage, good for 6 months.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:22 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
No need for that; your tow vehicle carries the liability. Look at your U.S. trailer policy- it only has comp/collision.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:54 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:

Hi Steven. We are picking up our trailer May 19th and live in Illinois. I suggest trying a DMV in another county as we recently registered ours and received plates within an hour in Rock Island county (Silvis office) even though our home is in another county. I've heard of other Escape owners in rural Illinois getting registered easily before pickup. Only hiccup for us was in getting a US dollar amount for taxes since ETI didn't include it on the paperwork. The manager knew someone in Springfield to call and did the conversion based on the rate on the order date. Not quite as good as the current conversion but it was more than offset by paying lower sales tax than we would pay in Dupage county. Good Luck
Old 05-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Gay View Post
Hi Steven. We are picking up our trailer May 19th and live in Illinois. I suggest trying a DMV in another county as we recently registered ours and received plates within an hour in Rock Island county (Silvis office) even though our home is in another county. I've heard of other Escape owners in rural Illinois getting registered easily before pickup. Only hiccup for us was in getting a US dollar amount for taxes since ETI didn't include it on the paperwork. The manager knew someone in Springfield to call and did the conversion based on the rate on the order date. Not quite as good as the current conversion but it was more than offset by paying lower sales tax than we would pay in Dupage county. Good Luck
A most interesting idea, as when I called Springfield all they said I needed was the Customs Declaration and not the stamped one as requested by my local office.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:54 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Be careful where you do these things as many places require registration in your county of residence and/or where the trailer is garaged (which is not always the same town or state.). A county may take your money and register you in their county when you live in another one. That can be a problem later. The insurance agent is also likely to want to insure it where it is garaged. Need to look up registration requirements for your state.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:33 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Be careful where you do these things as many places require registration in your county of residence and/or where the trailer is garaged (which is not always the same town or state.). A county may take your money and register you in their county when you live in another one. That can be a problem later. The insurance agent is also likely to want to insure it where it is garaged. Need to look up registration requirements for your state.
The actual law in Illinois requires that the sales tax in the city/county you live must be collected no matter where you buy or license your vehicle. This came about because people bought in surrounding suburbs or other counties to pay a lower tax rate. So the city of Chicago dealers put up a fuss and the law was changed to level the playing field.

Illinois registration costs are some of the highest in the country. California and New York start high but go down as the vehicle ages. Illinois is one cost until the vehicle is scrapped. May try elsewhere if I'm in the area.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:37 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have never once been asked for trailer registration when crossing the border either way. Rarely am I asked for the vehicle registration either.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:45 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
The actual law in Illinois requires that the sales tax in the city/county you live must be collected no matter where you buy or license your vehicle. This came about because people bought in surrounding suburbs or other counties to pay a lower tax rate. So the city of Chicago dealers put up a fuss and the law was changed to level the playing field.

Illinois registration costs are some of the highest in the country. California and New York start high but go down as the vehicle ages. Illinois is one cost until the vehicle is scrapped. May try elsewhere if I'm in the area.
Sales tax is generally by state. Registration is generally by county and the insurance agents are looking at where the trailer is kept. That is where they want it registered and insured. I am referring to registering in your own county, not another county.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote