Returning to Canada (almost) right after Sumas delivery - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Returning to Canada (almost) right after Sumas delivery

We're looking forward to getting our 21 this November... and we're trying to work out how to get some of that vaunted Valley Driving School training right away before we tow home to Gig Harbor, WA (a 3-4 hour drive).

Understandably, the Valley folk can only teach in Canada, not the U.S., so we have to go back to Chilliwack (or Abbotsford) for the training. And we've read about the delays involved when heading straight back into Canada without permanent registration, plates, etc. It's understandable that the customs officials want to be sure everything's on the up-and-up, but that doesn't mean we want to take hours to cross back into Canada.

So we had the idea to get the trailer at Bob's Burger & Brew, then tow it directly to the Department of Licensing office (inside a grocery store!) in nearby Lynden, WA. There, according to theory, we could get our WA plates, slap them onto the trailer, then head back over the border for some training (probably after an overnight at a nearby campground).

Does this sound to anyone like it will work? Or like it won't work?
Old 09-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Did you check with a DMV office as to whether or not they will issue plates without the trailer? Oregon does since it's a brand new trailer and ETI sends all the needed documents. They would not do that on a used trailer - but it let us carry our Oregon plate to ETI; they put it on in Sumas after the trailer had been officially "exported" from Canada.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: drpaddle... You should be able to get tags for Toto anywhere in Wash. St. I'd bet!!! Be prepared for the tax grab though. As Canadians we had 5% Goods/Services Tax in BC. and 7% Provincial Sales Tax in Ontario. There goes our "Free Health Care". The fee for transfer of plates was $10.00 WOHOO!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Doug,
I took the packet of papers ETI sent us to the local License Agency here in Marysville and got my plates before we went to Chilliwack. We installed the plates at Bob's and could have headed straight back to B.C..
Now - I was prepared for the agent to say "you need this or that form stamped.." but they were content to take my giant check for the taxes and give me the registration and plate. The title came 2 weeks later so nothing else was needed.
Its worth a try .

edit: BTW -The agent made copies of all the forms for me, but you might do that before you go in.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #5

The WA dept. of licensing SAYS they won't issue plates until we present the proper customs form, stamped at the border. But I have read stories that a a lucky trip to the right licensing office at the right moment can sometimes result in getting plates ahead of time. We are going to try this approach, but we can't count on it working.

On the other hand, if we have to get the plates in the Lynden grocery store... we can get donuts.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Rather than making an additional trip to Chilliwack after taking delivery of your Escape on the US side of the border, why not see if you can book time at a driving school that is located closer to your home.

Alternatively, go to Chilliwack, "borrow" your trailer for the afternoon to take the driver training, and then have Escape deliver your trailer for you across the border.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #7

Paul, that's what I was hoping to hear - thanks! We are definitely going to try that. Hmmmm, maybe stop in Marysville on the way up if it doesn't work somewhere else first. :-)

... good idea, Dave! We figured the ETI folk might look askance at newbies taking the trailer to school before it's officially ours. But maybe it WILL be officially ours. We'll ask 'em!
Old 09-18-2014, 11:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
We were hoping to go back into Canada after picking up our trailer next summer but I don't know. Kansas will not issue a plate for anything brought in from out of state until the serial number on the unit is matched to the paperwork. Plus an extra charge for this "service". And only 2000 miles to bring it home minus plates. Yuk Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:35 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Just curious, which License Agency in Marysville?

Thanks
gingerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Our problem going back into Canada was not with the temporary plate -- the inspector didn't even see that from her vantage point. She was more interested in trying to understand why we'd just been in Canada and were now turning around and coming right back. I think we gave her too much information -- we didn't need to tell her that we'd just been to Canada -- she only asked what we'd be doing in Canada. The other thing that was a problem was that Terry had a New York driver's license and the Highlander is registered in New Jersey. (from now on he's not using his enhanced NY license at customs -- he's using his passport) She was not interested in our explanation about customs and the Escape -- she really seemed to think we were up to some criminal activity because we were entering Canada after just leaving it and no explanation would have pleased her.

When I'm charitable I say the above. When I dwell on the situation I think that probably the inspector wanted to be able to catch a criminal and look good to her superiors. Either that or she'd had a fight with her husband that morning. So she told us we needed to park the trailer and go inside. Within half an hour we were on our way when the next inspector recognized that we were two seniors on a camping trip.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #11

Thanks Ruthe, that helps put things in perspective a bit.

I think it possible that, with months to wait after we placed our order last Spring, I've over-thought just about every aspect of this adventure. ... and then still I will have overlooked something really important. :-) Still, it's so great to have this collective experience and brainpower as a sounding board and source of extensive entertainment.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerh View Post
Just curious, which License Agency in Marysville?

Thanks
The closest one to home for me...I guess it's actually Lake Stevens:

Mail Zone Auto License Center
Getchell Station Area
16410 84th St NE Ste #D
Lake Stevens, WA 98258-9078
Phone: (360) 691-7635

I just went in and said I bought a trailer in Canada and needed registration & plates. I had to help a bit with converting the weight to pounds
They took my word for the exchange rate to get the cost in US dollars to calculate the tax. The location of the trailer never came up during the transaction.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Ruthe, if your little problem with that gal was at the Sumas crossing, it sure makes me wonder if we didn't get the same gal. I was expecting a little warmer welcome into Canada than that as she was just shy of mean. Oh well, Reace and Tammy more than made up for it. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We crossed into Canada at the I5 crossing six days after picking up our trailer in Sumas. We were asked lots of pointed questions (many about our finances) and both tow vehicle and trailer were thoroughly searched. The border crossing took over an hour, not including the wait time getting to the first booth.

Our crossing into the US at Port Angeles took less than 30 seconds.

Bill R
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Similar experience which is opposite from June, when going to the Rally I was welcomed & expedited by Canadian Customs. Coming home was sent to secondary after volunteering an apple and given a lecture...."you're from California- you should know better".- alluding to the citrus quarantine.

This time Canadian customs asked bang bang bang questions, trying to draw an inconsistency and finally let me through. Then coming back, I still had my Yukon loaded to the gills because ETI won't let you put a pencil in for crossing, I was sure I was going to secondary. Especially since the previous 7 cars had to all open their trunks for inspection. When interviewed I said my trailer had just crossed ahead of me(I didn't see it-just assumed) and when asked about all the stuff(had to roll down passenger window), stated it was all our camping gear. "Have a nice day".

With no license plate I wouldn't want the hassle of trying to return as I do remember coming through Blaine after my second crossing in June and the US guy walking back to look at plate. Luck of the draw? They have a lot of inside info-that we all know!
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:04 AM   #16

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
If anything looks odd they will detain you we often have issues moving horses over the boarder . I always try to do everything right and have all the health papers for the horses and rabies certs for my dogs sun glasses off ... So it all goes smoothly.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #17

Got the paperwork from Tammy on Saturday, took it to the DMV here in Gig Harbor this morning. Wrote a large check, brought home our new license plate! :-) Now we just have to go up to Chilliwack next week and get a trailer to go with the new plate. With luck, will head back into Abbotsford for a Valley Driving School lesson... then toddle on down the road toward home.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #18

Sweet! Hope you get a break in the weather...
Old 10-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Just saw this thread now -- and Loren, yes, our issue was at the border crossing in Sumas. Funny how it's all blending into the past and starting to seem funny.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #20

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaddle View Post
Got the paperwork from Tammy on Saturday, took it to the DMV here in Gig Harbor this morning. Wrote a large check, brought home our new license plate! :-) Now we just have to go up to Chilliwack next week and get a trailer to go with the new plate. With luck, will head back into Abbotsford for a Valley Driving School lesson... then toddle on down the road toward home.
Hi drpaddle,
So exciting to read all of your experiences getting your new trailer(s). Although we have several (many) months until we pick up our new 5.0 TA, we are thinking of taking that training. I have never driven a towed vehicle and we both thought it would be a good idea for both of us. Can you tell us how the experience was for you with the lesson at Valley Driving School? And how was your first excursion driving it home?
Thanks.
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote