Selling private Canada to US - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 15A
Many Thanks!

We appreciate all 3 replys. Good to know there won't be a Duty tax. I checked out all of Jon's upgrades to his 17B via his links. WOW! and double wow!
CathyAndDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:41 PM   #22

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
I purchase a temporary trip permit, good for 3 days in Washington State for about $30 at a local DMV counter in a drug store. Taped it to the back window and towed my trailer back to New Jersey. As long as you can prove it's your private property and you are somewhat enroute home, I wouldn't worry to much about a plate.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #23

Trailer: Airstream shopping for Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRINGOandTICA View Post
, I wouldn't worry to much about a plate.
Actually putting a plate on it "may" get you into trouble at the border. Best to check with the US border you intend to use as to their policy.

I was told my border personal that trailers and cars that are yet to be imported i.e. not cleared the border yet, should not have a plate on it. Temp permit is all it should have on it.

The reason give to me for this was that by putting a plating on it, your implying the trailer/car has been legally imported & registered already.

That was the situation importing from US to Canada - may be different going North to South. Best to check it with US customs.
Fiberglass Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberglass Fan View Post
Actually putting a plate on it "may" get you into trouble at the border. Best to check with the US border you intend to use as to their policy.
Good advice. From time to time US customs will ask what our trailer plate # is if they can't see it on their screen. If the plate doesn't match what they have in their system then, yes, you're probably in for more questioning.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #25

Trailer: Airstream shopping for Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Good advice. From time to time US customs will ask what our trailer plate # is if they can't see it on their screen. I
I have noticed they are doing that more often than not these days. As a result one US border guard suggested on the last trip that I put a sticky note on my sun visor as to the trailers plate number rather than having them go around to look at it themselves . LOL

Hard to know why they are asking more frequently. Funny enough I have never had the Canadian border guys ask for the trailers plate number - have had them ask if I was the registered owner though, more than once.
Fiberglass Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:00 PM   #26

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberglass Fan View Post

I was told my border personal that trailers and cars that are yet to be imported i.e. not cleared the border yet, should not have a plate on it. Temp permit is all it should have on it.

The reason give to me for this was that by putting a plating on it, your implying the trailer/car has been legally imported & registered already.

That was the situation importing from US to Canada - may be different going North to South. Best to check it with US customs.
I wouldn't worry to much about a plate, was implying that you don't need one, from my experience.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote