Shipping vs personal pick up in Chilliwack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #1

Shipping vs personal pick up in Chilliwack

My Escape won't hatch until May. Looooong wait -but worth it. In the mean time, here is another question.

Did any of you folks use a shipping/trucking company to get your Escape into the US. If so, how does that work?
Or do you recommend making the trek to Chilliwack?

Thanks.
moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #2

Re: Shipping vs personal pick up in Chilliwack

Moto:

Since it looks like you live in SF Bay Area (as do we) I would highly recommend picking it up yourself IMHO.. The big advantage is that you can test your new trailer out near the factory and if there's any issue or if you like to add a quick modification (we added another 12v outlet) you can just take right in. We did it and were glad that we did.. the ride up wasn't a big deal and we enjoyed meeting Tammy & Reace. They or their team would thoroughly go over the trailer with you and answer any questions. I would also imagine (if you have the time to pick it up) that the pick-up is more cost effective than the shipping, plus it's an adventure!

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

I too live in NorCal and heartily second Jeff -- make the trip. You'll need to get a passport if you don't already have one, no big deal -- main Post Offices do them. Just don't wait. Also,Chilliwack has very different scenery. - pretty place. As Jeff mentioned, there is no substitute for the familiarization they'll provide for your new trailer.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #4

We're in western TN and had our Escape delivered. If time had permitted, I would have preferred to pick the trailer up, go over details with Reace and Tammy, and enjoy a leisurely ramble home. Considering the cost of the trip, fuel, meals and hotels on the way there, the cost of the return trip, and the use of vacation days and I feel the cost was justified. Delivery itself was easy and well-coordinated.

Again, I would rather have had the time to go to the factory.

Dave
Old 09-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19

Our new 19 will be ready in January. I am really not too excited about driving to BC from TX at that time of the year. My plans now are to do a "partial" delievry, i.e. maybe somewhere in the middle to a less snowy clime. I will monitor the weather and if things look decent I may make the drive to BC. Going to the factory would be the best but I just may not be able to make it.

Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

I was part of a three trailer delivery to Sault ste Marie, ON. By far much less expensive than driving to BC. It was a very positive experience. For those in the midwest US consider delivery in the area of Elkhart Indiana. This is an large trailer production area and many loads leave from here. Our delivery truck from BC was heading to Elkhart for a back haul.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

My only observation is that given a choice between January in Indiana and January in B.C. I choose B.C. every time.

We took a vacation in Mexico one January and weren't basking on the beach. I picked up the local paper with a weather map and it was warmer in Vancouver than where we were on the Mayan Riviera.

I also recall, as a kid in the family car, driving through the snow drifts and blizzards in Nebraska / Oklahoma heading for San Antonio.

Maybe they have a delivery further south and west than Indiana?

baglo
Old 09-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

I made the trip to Chilliwack from New York in April; even hit some snow on the way. Of course that gave me an excuse to hang around the west for a couple of months!

Meeting Reace & Tammy was well worth the trip & I wouldn't want to miss the trailer walk through provided by the staff at Escape Trailer Industries.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #9

Due to job commitments Escape delivered ours to Waynesville, NC this past July.

Escape provided excellent service, a fair price for delivery all things considered, a good delivery driver. Well done.

Escape stored our trailer from Nov. 2010 until July 2011 at their facility with no problem due to my out of country work assignment.

Quality product Quality people.

Many thanks to Tammy and Reece.

Joe Poelma
Waynesville, North Carolina

jopoelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 19. Birthing date June 23
I have not seen anyone mention the cost of del to the SE. Can I get a estimate!
PAB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAB4 View Post
Hi: PAB4... Since all of these posts are from 2011 I'd think there have been some increases due to fuel cost. Reace& Tammy are very cost conscious about delivery expenses. They go out of their way to minimize the costs for all deliveries. You can just call 1-855-703-1650 and ask them for a price. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19ft, birthing date September 3, 2014
I was quoted just a few weeks ago that if I was the only trailer on the truck about $1.50 a mile. I'm guessing a Canadian $1.50.
Nilotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Suggest you contact Escape Trailer Industries for an estimate. See the ad, right side of the main forum page.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAB4 View Post
I think Escape Industries would be the one to ask, but remember if you can find someone else with a delivery enroute, your costs will decrease. If you can find 2 others your cost maybe cut in half. Three I think is the limit. Also they drive weekly to Goshen, In, if you can get to there your costs will be reduced.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
A long haul in mid-winter would be a heck of a shakedown cruise. Storage in B.C. sounds like a good option, although if a buyer wanted to spend the winter doing personalizations that wouldn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilotica View Post
I was quoted just a few weeks ago that if I was the only trailer on the truck about $1.50 a mile. I'm guessing a Canadian $1.50.
Yes, to get a light commercial hauler to tow anything (a big fifth-wheel or conventional trailer rolling on its own wheels, or anything that fits on a flatbed trailer...) long distance runs generally about $1/km (or $1.60/mile). I have had a fifth-wheel towed back and forth between Alberta and BC and that's what it cost.

There are many companies and individuals who do this, but for a delivery from a manufacturer I would personally use their shipping company. It is in their interest to find a shipper that keeps the cost down to keep their product competitive, and also in their interest to have the shipping done well to avoid problems with the customer. In this case, we're talking about Reace and Tammy who I trust are looking out for their customers.

This is a killer competitive business with low margins; I wouldn't supply a truck and do the work for that little. I don't think you're going to go and fetch it yourself any cheaper; however, I would rather receive such a valuable and complex product in person from Escape than have it dropped off by a truck driver. In the unlikely case of any significant issues to resolve, it would be beneficial to find them while right there at the manufacturer's location.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There's a third option some may wish to consider. It still costs money and it still takes time. But, that's having the tug shipped closer to Chilliwack and flying out to the west coast. Pickup the trailer at the manufacturer and drive home. One of my bud's did that on a Scamp he purchased in western Idaho... he lives in Iowa.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I drove out from VA just for the pleasure of meeting the people who built my trailer. Would do it again.
Speaking of having the tow shipped out: One of the other east coast 5.0 owners bought his truck from a dealer in Washington, flew out to take delivery and then drove up to Chilliwack.
I was very envious.
Dick
Old 11-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Another idea, if weather is a factor, to see if the new Escape could be stored until the snow/ice issue has melted. That way the trip would be less troublesome and the advantage would be, as Jeff and others have said, to either add something overlooked or a "fixit" needed. Of course it is hard to wait to see and to get your new Escape. But on the other hand, if you are not a winter camper, it may be worth the wait.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #19

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
Another idea, if weather is a factor, to see if the new Escape could be stored until the snow/ice issue has melted. )
It says somewhere (brochure, website?) that Escape can store new trailers until owners can pick up. Warranty begins once trailer picked up.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quite a few people have waited to pick theirs up in spring when having a winter build.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote