Temp tag in Colorado issued before pickup? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
.....Easier said than done, Chuck, but try not to worry about it. Take and enjoy an extended trip back to Colorado and get your permanent plates and registration upon your return. Drive safe and you will not be stopped. If you are stopped, your paperwork will be more than adequate. Many, many, many have returned to their home state this way, and I have not read or heard of 'any' problems encountered by 'any' owner.........Enjoy

Old 05-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 19
FWIW, I had the same experience last year as sturski (also in Boulder County). Took in the packet of paperwork that Escape sent and walked out with a temporary plate. The only difference is that now CO issues its temporary plate in a nice plastic sleeve with mounting points to attach it directly to the license plate holder.

Once we returned home, I took the trailer back for a VIN inspection and got the permanent plate. Also, be sure they calculate taxes on the USD price of the trailer, not CAD! The clerk just used the USD value that I calculated myself ahead of time.

canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 19
Also, where exactly is that highlighted language pulled from anyway? It doesn't look like any statute or regulation I've seen, and I researched this a lot last year. I wonder if it's your local county's interpretation of the law?
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #14

Trailer: 21, June 8, 2016, "The Final Frontier"
Same situation for us last summer. Arrived home after the temp plate had expired, but were never stopped or questioned. Had all our documentation with us in case that happened. No problems. Paid the tax (horrors) when we returned home and went into the county office (Custer CO) for the permanent lic. plate.
Mary Strasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:55 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA '13 Tundra DC 4.6 tow
I asked the supervisor to print the regulation she was quoting and she printed that page from her terminal. Maybe their office guidelines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
Also, where exactly is that highlighted language pulled from anyway? It doesn't look like any statute or regulation I've seen, and I researched this a lot last year. I wonder if it's your local county's interpretation of the law?
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #16

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
Also, be sure they calculate taxes on the USD price of the trailer, not CAD! The clerk just used the USD value that I calculated myself ahead of time.
As usual, the routine varies from day-to-day. I was asked to provide a bank statement showing the purchase price in USD. At my local bank branch I had to teach them how to convert CAD to USD, and then convince them that the sticky note was not formal enough.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
Hi Cathy,
Do you have a source or link to support the statement below? I have read the other threads and seen similar comments as well, but I have never seen anything definitive. I will call WA DMV and report back.
I will say that Colorado does look to the origin state (or state of first import) to issue the temp tag, so they in fact do recognize and honor it (see my pic above). I bought my Tundra in Kansas and drove it home with KS issued temp tags and continued to drive it in CO until I registered it some 3 weeks later.
My preference is to still get a CO issued temp tag, but that may not happen.
Your Tundra bought in another state has nothing to do with a trailer imported from Canada. If Colorado told you specifically that, for a trailer brought in from Canada, that Colorado will accept a permit from Washington for travel in Colorado, that would be interesting. The trailers are bought in Canada, not Washington.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:25 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
Happy Friday all
I just made my first attempt (unsuccessful) at getting a temp tag for our pick up trip later this month. I know alan malk was successful when he picked up his 21, so I wondered if there were more CO folks that have also succeeded. I have read the other thread and I will revert to bringing the bill of sale and other docs if I can't get the tag prior to our trip.
The agent in downtown Denver followed the letter of the statute, even though the language allows for exceptions (see pic).
Anyway, CO folks, if you have any words of wisdom, I would appreciate any tips you can offer.
Thanks in advance.
Chuck
I was also unsuccessful yesterday in getting a temporary tag. They said I should get a travel tag from Washington as it is the state the trailer is imported into. They printed the same page from the Colorado Title and Registration Manual, saying I would need to show proof that Washington won't provide a temp tag. I just plan to drive back without plates; wondering though if I can go back into Canada right after picking up the trailer without plates on it. Typical government, they have a process so they don't need to waste time thinking.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:44 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
We didn't have anything but the Bill of Sale and paperwork from Escape. If I was pulled over, I was going to use the excuse that Colorado doesn't issue tags until they do a VIN verification which can't happen until the return to Colorado.

In fact, I would use that print-out from the DMV to support not having temp tags.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:03 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA '13 Tundra DC 4.6 tow
We picked up prior to the rally. We purchased a single 3 day permit in Spokane on our way to Chilliwack. Took delivery in Sumas but did not use the permit since we went right back to BC for the rally. Activated the permit (filled in the start date) for our Sunday departure from Osoyoos and arrived in Denver at the end of the third day, easy peasy. YMMV.
Good luck!

Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote