Temp tag in Colorado issued before pickup? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2017, 06:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA (sold) '13 Tundra DC 4.6 tow
Temp tag in Colorado issued before pickup?

Happy Friday all
I just made my first attempt (unsuccessful) at getting a temp tag for our pick up trip later this month. I know alanmalk was successful when he picked up his 21, so I wondered if there were more CO folks that have also succeeded. I have read the other thread and I will revert to bringing the bill of sale and other docs if I can't get the tag prior to our trip.
The agent in downtown Denver followed the letter of the statute, even though the language allows for exceptions (see pic).
Anyway, CO folks, if you have any words of wisdom, I would appreciate any tips you can offer.
Thanks in advance.
Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0138.jpg  
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA (July 19, 2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
Happy Friday all
I just made my first attempt (unsuccessful) at getting a temp tag for our pick up trip later this month. I know alanmalk was successful when he picked up his 21, so I wondered if there were more CO folks that have also succeeded. I have read the other thread and I will revert to bringing the bill of sale and other docs if I can't get the tag prior to our trip.
The agent in downtown Denver followed the letter of the statute, even though the language allows for exceptions (see pic).
Anyway, CO folks, if you have any words of wisdom, I would appreciate any tips you can offer.
Thanks in advance.
Chuck
Hi Chuck - I called the Colorado DVM a few weeks ago and talked to a person I thought was competent and knowledgeable. She told me to just bring all my paperwork to the DVM and they could issue a temporary tag (she couldn't tell me how long it would be valid). She went on to say that the trailer could then be issued a permanent plate after a physical VIN inspection when the trailer is in Colorado. Your attachment seems to indicate that that may not have been correct.
I'm beginning to wonder if it would just be best to travel back to Colorado without any temporary tags. Chances are we wouldn't be pulled over, and even if we were, we would have all the paperwork from Tammy onboard with us.
I know of one other Colorado Escape buyer that got a 3 day temp tag from the state of Washington. My understanding is that such a tag is only valid in the state of issue and doesn't really help anyway if we're planning on taking more than three days to return from Chillliwack (more like three weeks!). Anyhow, I'll be interested to here if any other Coloradans "chime in" to this thread. I'd love to know how they handled the tag problem.
John
LatLongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2006 8.5' Alaskan. 2008 Scamp 16. 2015 Escape 21
I live in Jackson County and our county clerk issued a temporary permit to me before I left for Chilliwack. I showed her all the paperwork of course. I wouldn't hesitate to haul one straight home without a permit as long as all the paperwork was handy. But it would be nice to have a permit if you were turning the trip home into an extended vacation.
Ditchrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:03 PM   #4

We're planning on spending a day or two in the Seattle area prior to picking up. I might try to pick up a couple of three day permits there if they would start the first one on our pick up date. That would cover us for the rally and trip home. I hate to waste more time at the Denver DMV, as that is an exercise in frustration by itself, and based on the info they provided they are probably correct in denying my request. If we were coming straight home I wouldn't sweat it.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The picture you posted, "Vehicles purchased out of state", says "exceptions can be made".
Old 05-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 2006 8.5' Alaskan. 2008 Scamp 16. 2015 Escape 21
I believe Sumas is in Whatcom County and the county seat is in Bellingham. Maybe it would be better to apply for a permit there rather than in the Seattle area.
Ditchrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
If one is dead set in getting a Washington temp permit, here is a list of agencies in Whatcom County (the closest to Sumas is the one in Everson):

Vehicle and vessel licensing offices:
Whatcom County

Offices listed after the county auditor are in alphabetical order by city.

Office locationMailing addressHours
(except for holidays)

WHATCOM COUNTY AUDITOR

311 Grand Ave
Bellingham, WA 98225-4038
Phone: 360.778.5100PO Box 398
Bellingham, WA 98227-0398Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm
(Quick Title) Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm
Sat: CLOSED

BELLINGHAM AUTO LICENSING

Fred Meyer Shopping Ctr
804 Lakeway Dr
Bellingham, WA 98229-6219
Phone: 360.733.0148804 Lakeway Dr
Bellingham, WA 98229-6219Mon-Fri 9:00am-6:00pm
(Quick Title) Mon-Fri 9:00am-6:00pm
Sat: 10:00am-3:00pm (Quick Title) 10:00am-3:00pm

NORTHWEST LICENSING

2502 Cedarwood Ave
Bellingham, WA 98225-1465
Phone: 360.756.98212502 Cedarwood Ave #3
Bellingham, WA 98225Mon-Fri 9:00am-5:30pm
(Quick Title) Mon-Fri 9:00am-5:30pm
Sat: 9:00am-4:00pm (Quick Title) 9:00am-4:00pm

BLAINE COST CUTTER LICENSING

Blaine International Ctr
1733 H St #100
Blaine, WA 98230-5107
Phone: 360.332.70891733 H St #100
Blaine, WA 98230-5107Mon-Fri 9:00am-6:00pm
Lunch Closure: Sat 1:00pm-2:00pm
Sat: 9:00am-5:00pm

VALLEY DRUG LICENSING

Everson Shopping Ctr
208 E Main St
Everson, WA 98247-9126
Phone: 360.966.3481PO Box 307
Everson, WA 98247-0307Mon-Fri 9:00am-6:00pm
Sat: 9:00am-4:00pm

AUTO LICENSING OF FERNDALE

1740 La Bounty Dr Ste 4
Ferndale, WA 98248
Phone: 360.392.89311740 La Bounty Dr Ste 4
Ferndale, WA 98248Mon-Fri 9:00am-6:00pm
(Quick Title) Mon-Fri 9:00am-6:00pm
Sat: 10:00am-4:00pm (Quick Title) 10:00am-4:00pm

LYNDEN FOOD PAVILION LICENSING

Lynden Towne Plaza
8130 Guide Meridian
Lynden, WA 98264-9421
Phone: 360.354.80808130 Guide Meridian
Lynden, WA 98264-9421Mon-Fri 9:00am-6:00pm
Sat: 9:00am-5:00pm
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:01 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
As has been said time and again, permits in Washington are surely a waste of your money as far as returning to another state. They would have nothing to do with traveling in other states unless maybe you are a Washington resident. And they should tell you that at any office.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:38 AM   #9

Hi Cathy,
Do you have a source or link to support the statement below? I have read the other threads and seen similar comments as well, but I have never seen anything definitive. I will call WA DMV and report back.
I will say that Colorado does look to the origin state (or state of first import) to issue the temp tag, so they in fact do recognize and honor it (see my pic above). I bought my Tundra in Kansas and drove it home with KS issued temp tags and continued to drive it in CO until I registered it some 3 weeks later.
My preference is to still get a CO issued temp tag, but that may not happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
As has been said time and again, permits in Washington are surely a waste of your money as far as returning to another state. They would have nothing to do with traveling in other states unless maybe you are a Washington resident. And they should tell you that at any office.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:22 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
I obtained a temp permit from Boulder County using the paperwork from Tammy. No issues, other than having to pay the taxes to get the temp plate.

Of course, I never used it. It was rainy, sloppy, and I didn't think to bring a plastic bag. If I did it again, I'd just rely on the dated bill of sale to get the thing home.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:09 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
.....Easier said than done, Chuck, but try not to worry about it. Take and enjoy an extended trip back to Colorado and get your permanent plates and registration upon your return. Drive safe and you will not be stopped. If you are stopped, your paperwork will be more than adequate. Many, many, many have returned to their home state this way, and I have not read or heard of 'any' problems encountered by 'any' owner.........Enjoy

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
FWIW, I had the same experience last year as sturski (also in Boulder County). Took in the packet of paperwork that Escape sent and walked out with a temporary plate. The only difference is that now CO issues its temporary plate in a nice plastic sleeve with mounting points to attach it directly to the license plate holder.

Once we returned home, I took the trailer back for a VIN inspection and got the permanent plate. Also, be sure they calculate taxes on the USD price of the trailer, not CAD! The clerk just used the USD value that I calculated myself ahead of time.
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
Also, where exactly is that highlighted language pulled from anyway? It doesn't look like any statute or regulation I've seen, and I researched this a lot last year. I wonder if it's your local county's interpretation of the law?
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:43 PM   #14

Trailer: 21, June 8, 2016, "The Final Frontier"
Same situation for us last summer. Arrived home after the temp plate had expired, but were never stopped or questioned. Had all our documentation with us in case that happened. No problems. Paid the tax (horrors) when we returned home and went into the county office (Custer CO) for the permanent lic. plate.
Mary Strasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #15

I asked the supervisor to print the regulation she was quoting and she printed that page from her terminal. Maybe their office guidelines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
Also, where exactly is that highlighted language pulled from anyway? It doesn't look like any statute or regulation I've seen, and I researched this a lot last year. I wonder if it's your local county's interpretation of the law?
Old 05-06-2017, 03:30 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
Also, be sure they calculate taxes on the USD price of the trailer, not CAD! The clerk just used the USD value that I calculated myself ahead of time.
As usual, the routine varies from day-to-day. I was asked to provide a bank statement showing the purchase price in USD. At my local bank branch I had to teach them how to convert CAD to USD, and then convince them that the sticky note was not formal enough.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Hi Cathy,
Do you have a source or link to support the statement below? I have read the other threads and seen similar comments as well, but I have never seen anything definitive. I will call WA DMV and report back.
I will say that Colorado does look to the origin state (or state of first import) to issue the temp tag, so they in fact do recognize and honor it (see my pic above). I bought my Tundra in Kansas and drove it home with KS issued temp tags and continued to drive it in CO until I registered it some 3 weeks later.
My preference is to still get a CO issued temp tag, but that may not happen.
Your Tundra bought in another state has nothing to do with a trailer imported from Canada. If Colorado told you specifically that, for a trailer brought in from Canada, that Colorado will accept a permit from Washington for travel in Colorado, that would be interesting. The trailers are bought in Canada, not Washington.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Happy Friday all
I just made my first attempt (unsuccessful) at getting a temp tag for our pick up trip later this month. I know alan malk was successful when he picked up his 21, so I wondered if there were more CO folks that have also succeeded. I have read the other thread and I will revert to bringing the bill of sale and other docs if I can't get the tag prior to our trip.
Thanks in advance.
Chuck
I was also unsuccessful yesterday in getting a temporary tag. They said I should get a travel tag from Washington as it is the state the trailer is imported into. They printed the same page from the Colorado Title and Registration Manual, saying I would need to show proof that Washington won't provide a temp tag. I just plan to drive back without plates; wondering though if I can go back into Canada right after picking up the trailer without plates on it. Typical government, they have a process so they don't need to waste time thinking.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:44 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
We didn't have anything but the Bill of Sale and paperwork from Escape. If I was pulled over, I was going to use the excuse that Colorado doesn't issue tags until they do a VIN verification which can't happen until the return to Colorado.

In fact, I would use that print-out from the DMV to support not having temp tags.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:03 PM   #20

We picked up prior to the rally. We purchased a single 3 day permit in Spokane on our way to Chilliwack. Took delivery in Sumas but did not use the permit since we went right back to BC for the rally. Activated the permit (filled in the start date) for our Sunday departure from Osoyoos and arrived in Denver at the end of the third day, easy peasy. YMMV.
Good luck!