Temporary travel permit - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2019, 01:11 PM   #61

Trailer: Escape 2019 19'
Thanks everyone, the feedback is very helpful.
infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:54 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
With both our Escape's we re-entered Canada immediately with no problems. The Canadian guard at Sumas just said - "Oh just bought a new Escape I see - we sure see lots of those" Coming back into the US, the boarder guards were not in the least concerned with trailer licenses, etc (we had no trailer license plate as Wisconsin will not issue them in advance) as that is all your state's laws. They didn't even ask to see any of the paperwork for the sale, even though we had it all ready to show them. Wisconsin DMV was another story...

How long ago was this? How was coming back into the US the second time?
Old 09-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #63

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity View Post
How long ago was this? How was coming back into the US the second time?
There's no use trying to pin down an opinion of what would be the exact situation if someone else were to do the exact same thing.

I have Nexus as well as other security clearances as well as other permits and licences but every time I cross the border I don't know if I'll get almost a "rolling stop" or 20 questions. Every crossing is potentially different. Different folks, different day.

When I cross with a trailer I'm sometimes asked if I know the trailer license number. I always do because I have it on a piece of masking tape by my headlight switch.

My sense is that they're looking to see if you and the trailer belong together and whether it's being taken across the border to be sold.

But whatever the case it's an open border to Canadians and Americans without "history". Some agents are more officious than others but the bottom line is that if you're legit the border's no big deal whether you just crossed the day before or not.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
There's no use trying to pin down an opinion of what would be the exact situation if someone else were to do the exact same thing.

I have Nexus as well as other security clearances as well as other permits and licences but every time I cross the border I don't know if I'll get almost a "rolling stop" or 20 questions. Every crossing is potentially different. Different folks, different day.

When I cross with a trailer I'm sometimes asked if I know the trailer license number. I always do because I have it on a piece of masking tape by my headlight switch.

My sense is that they're looking to see if you and the trailer belong together and whether it's being taken across the border to be sold.

But whatever the case it's an open border to Canadians and Americans without "history". Some agents are more officious than others but the bottom line is that if you're legit the border's no big deal whether you just crossed the day before or not.

Ron
I agree with you that it totally depends on the person. But it sounds to me like just the ETI papers should be just fine.

That’s a great idea to have the trailer number handy likenthat. You’re referring to the VIN number and not the license plate number right?
Old 09-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #65

No, on occasion, sometimes, not every time, they might say something like "do you know your trailer license plate number, I can't pick it up on the camera". If you can provide it then they enter it into the system. If you can't remember they will leave the booth and go and look at it.

I just think it's nice to be able to tell them the number without them having to leave the booth and a couple of times when I haven't used the trailer for a while I've forgotten it. Well, that's my excuse anyway.

Ron
Old 09-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #66
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm the only one that drives my truck. I'm also the only one who tows my trailer. I carry the original registrations for both in a zipper pocket of my purse. I always have my purse when I'm driving, so this works for me. Guys, I don't know what you'd do . Crossing the Canada/USA border several times last year, I was prepared to hand BOTH to the border guards. The only one that wanted to see them was the border guard at the Beebe Plain/Stanstead crossing coming into the USA from Canada in Vermont. Easy peasy.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #67

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
After my first crossing debacle I was prepared. When you pull up with a trailer attached, they can not read your tag(some state only have a rear tag) thus I remove my sunglasses(important) and give them my tag number with the passports. They look up your vehicle by tag and it cross references other government sites via your name.. For example I have a permit to carry registered with Pennsylvania and it shows up on the NCI info. I have my back window down so they can see if there are no passengers. I try to make it easy for them to not get up. If you make them get up then they may ask to see your trailer. Never been asked using these simple rules...
Old 09-15-2019, 04:38 PM   #68

Good points for newbies. Definitely take off the sunglasses before they have to ask you and yes, with the prevalence of tinted glass roll down the window behind you ahead of time. Doing those ahead of time makes for two less items at your stop and you're on your way quicker.

Ron
Old 09-16-2019, 01:12 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
After my first crossing debacle I was prepared. When you pull up with a trailer attached, they can not read your tag(some state only have a rear tag) thus I remove my sunglasses(important) and give them my tag number with the passports. They look up your vehicle by tag and it cross references other government sites via your name.. For example I have a permit to carry registered with Pennsylvania and it shows up on the NCI info. I have my back window down so they can see if there are no passengers. I try to make it easy for them to not get up. If you make them get up then they may ask to see your trailer. Never been asked using these simple rules...
My rear windows don’t roll down. Would it be weird if I opened my rear sliding door without being asked? The van is going to be packed with stuff for putting in our trailer lol.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #70

Yah, that would probably be overkill.

As I understand the situation, and they don't share their training program with the general public, they're also looking for rehearsed answers etc.

But the trend now is definitely to ask for rear side windows to be rolled down. And actually that seems pretty reasonable given the level of tint most windows have now. Of course if you're driving an older vehicle with clear windows and have the rear down in advance they might think that strange too.

Ron
Old 09-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #71

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity View Post
The van is going to be packed with stuff for putting in our trailer lol.

Are you aware that you can't put that stuff into the trailer until it has been imported into the US?
Old 09-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #72

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
My personal experience, FWIW--

Crossing the U.S/Canadian border was right up there with going through airport security, in terms of excitement and stress. It registers on the PITA scale (both metric and imperial), but no big deal.

I was told by the DMV in my state (which will issue a temporary tag, but requires a VIN inspection for a permanent tag), that with the temporary tag and proof of insurance, a private party was good to travel in all states without worrying about travel permits. I did that, making my way through Washington State, Idaho, Montana, Utah, Colorado and Arizona without incident, earlier in the summer.
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:33 AM   #73

Trailer: 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
I don't believe you need anything else besides all your trailer documentations. We towed ours back in 4 days and registered it on the way home because it's easier.
You are right
Isabelle is offline   Reply With Quote