Temporary travel permit - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2019, 06:58 PM   #1
Omi

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
Temporary travel permit

I can't find another mention of this so I will ask it now . . . After we take possession of our new 17B in a few weeks, we need to tow it home to Northern California. Do we need to get some sort of travel permit for Washington and Oregon? . . . or will our export/import documents work ?
Omi
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omi View Post
I can't find another mention of this so I will ask it now . . . After we take possession of our new 17B in a few weeks, we need to tow it home to Northern California. Do we need to get some sort of travel permit for Washington and Oregon? . . . or will our export/import documents work ?
Omi

I don't believe you need anything else besides all your trailer documentations. We towed ours back in 4 days and registered it on the way home because it's easier.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Do we need to get some sort of travel permit for Washington and Oregon? . . . or will our export/import documents work ?Omi
With the documents I received from ETI prior to picking up my 5.0TA. I was able to get temporary tags in my home town in Montana and it was good for 45 days. Once I had the trailer back home I was able to get permanent license plate.

Each state is different so you would need to check with your DMV in your home town. Temp tag would be good for travel in any U.S. state until it expires.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:33 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Most owners have taken possession and then traveled through the majority of states, without a tag nor travel permit, with out any problems nor stops. some have taken weeks to arrive at home. As long as you have you doc's from Escape you should be okay. The fun starts while at home and you go to register....
Old 02-06-2019, 09:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
We traveled extensively through Washington and Oregon last year after picking up our trailer. We did not get a travel permit. As soon as we entered our home state of California we went to a small town DMV and got the registration process started then continued on home to Southern California. I really think you are fine with just the documentation provided by ETI.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Omi
The documents you receive when you pick up your Escape in Sumas after they export it are sufficient. For Calif. residents, you have 20 days after the trailer enters California. I would heartily recommend that you go to the Mt Shasta DMV office: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...ice?number=639

It is Exit 738-Lake St., off of I-5. The concensus on this forum for the last couple of years is that it is the one DMV that has their act together, where you're able to walk out with license plate and registration in one visit. (cash, check, m/o, debit card).

We camped on the Olympic Peninsula for 2½ weeks before returning to Calif. We didn't have a check with us, so we waited to register until we got back to Ventura County. It took us 3 visits to 2 DMV's, and waiting while they sent everything to Sacramento. 6-10 weeks for a license plate.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:42 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I did not get a travel permit...i just kept all the papers within reach. i wasn't asked ever.

fyi, i agree w don. if you are coming home on I-5, it is highly recommended to stop at the DMV in Mt. Shasta. You will need an inspection (quick) and to pay your Calif sales tax and can walk away (verified by several escapees) with your license plates. I was unable to do that (came through on Saturday) and it took three months and many conflicting stories from dmv to get plates and stickers. it was a mess. they claimed they had to contact the dmvs in all 49 other states to verify that it was not stolen, despite the fact that i had the brandy new bill of sale etc in my name.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
In NY, for both trailers I was able to pick up a plate (or transfer my old one) to the new trailer before heading west to pick it up. Both times, the results of a phone call to the NY DMV was I could not get the plate until I was across the border, and then by mail while I waited in Washington State. A stop at my small, local DMV office worked, using the unsigned paperwork provided by Escape a few weeks before the trailer was finished.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #9

If you had or have an existing trailer, you can keep the tags and put them on the new Escape and just transfer the tags. Works with automobiles and trailers......in Pennsylvania/Maryland.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
All good advice above, OMI. We had a very pleasant 20 minute visit in your backyard DMV in Eureka. We made an appointment in advance, then took 3 weeks coming down the Olympic Peninsula, Washington Coast, and the Oregon Coast, before re-entering CA.. Make your appt. online and enjoy!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Prior to picking up our trailer last January, I called the CA DMV to check on a travel permit and they said they don’t issue travel permits. I also recommend stopping in Mt. Shasta DMV but I would make a reservation so you don’t wait. We got there the day before and stayed at the local KOA before going to the DMV. Walked out within the hour with plates in hand. The clerk even yelled out, “I got another one of those Canadian trailers”. So they do know how to do it.
EddyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you had or have an existing trailer, you can keep the tags and put them on the new Escape and just transfer the tags. Works with automobiles and trailers......
That depends on the state. In NY, you must register the new trailer (and, of course, pay the sales tax & registration fee) before you put the old plates on the new trailer. Officially, you must have signed import paperwork (a 7501 form), although, as I mentioned in a previous post, some smaller DMVs may let you get away with unsigned paperwork.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
If you had or have an existing trailer, you can keep the tags and put them on the new Escape and just transfer the tags. Works with automobiles and trailers......
Not in Oregon. The tags have a registration number that is stamped on the registration form for the trailer that it's assigned to and the same with the license plate. In both case, the tag and license plate belongs to the trailer and not to the individual who owns the trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Not in Oregon. The tags have a registration number that is stamped on the registration form for the trailer that it's assigned to and the same with the license plate. In both case, the tag and license plate belongs to the trailer and not to the individual who owns the trailer.

Yup. In BC you would get a healthy fine and your trailer towed ( you get to pay for tow and storage as a bonus ).
Old 02-08-2019, 04:25 PM   #15

Interesting, in Maryland and Pennsylvania, you take the tags off your old vehicle and place them on your new vehicle and you are good for 30 days to file the paperwork, just make sure you are insured during the interim period.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:11 PM   #16

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ditto in Colorado.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Ditto in Colorado.
So what happens to a trade in, do the tags stay on vehicle or transferred to new vehicle?
Old 02-08-2019, 06:45 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
So what happens to a trade in, do the tags stay on vehicle or transferred to new vehicle?
In Oregon they stay with the vehicle. It makes it easier for LEOs too. When they run a plate, it comes back to the registered vehicle. IF they were waiting for DMV to catch up, a plate off a 1967 Mustang might end up on a VW bus and then the problems would start.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:50 PM   #19

Here on east coast most states the tags are registered to the owner and the owner transfers them to new vehicles, very easy to locate stolen cars with false tags.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:52 PM   #20

In Delaware there is a lottery to obtain low number plates that are turned in when no longer used, some new owners want a tag with 3 numbers on it and pay a hefty sum to acquire the low number tags. I have my tags that were on my 1966 Mustang in my garage and if I wanted I could activate the tag.