Tennessee Registration Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2018, 05:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
Tennessee Registration Question

Our 21' (Here We Go Again) will be due on Nov. 2 and we will be picking it up on Nov. 5.
We will be receiving all the paperwork sometime before we head out and need some information from fellow owners in Tennessee.

Were you able to obtain a license plate before you picked up your trailer? If so, how difficult was the process?

If we understand correctly, the sale price listed is in Canadian dollars on all of the paperwork. Did you have any trouble having that figure converted into US dollars before you paid the state sales tax? What resource did you use to show the amount in US dollars?
We just wonder how difficult the process might be.

Thanks for any replies and assistance!
gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:17 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Your paperwork will include US payments information and you should also provide copies of your checks to prove what you paid in US funds.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:15 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Four years ago, Tennessee registration was not too bad. With the packet in hand from ETI (plus an extra copy in case they needed to keep anything) I went to the county courthouse where I usually register cars, and emerged with a trailer license in about an hour.
As Jim mentioned, the current packet may include something showing U.S. dollars. Since mine did not, I anticipated the confusion and had printed a sheet from an online site. Bank of Canada had one and seemed convincing enough for the clerk, although a supervisor looked it up again. Today’s rate seems pretty good, so I’d print today’s in case it drops.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:34 AM   #4

Thanks for the information. Just want to be prepared when we go to the county clerk office.
gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #5

Trailer: None
Not to intrude but I also live in Tennessee pretty close to the Knoxville area. I have been looking at these trailers for several years and just haven’t pulled the trigger. I’m in a position now to be able to order one but am nervous about making such a big purchase out the states. Did you have any issues registering it in Tennessee or picking it up? Thanks in advance.
Buxbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
TN Tag Office VERY helpful

Suggest a "pre-visit" to local tag office to have some questions answered and give them time to research if not familiar with the issue.
In Washington County TN they are the best to deal with than any other state I have lived in.
For giggles, I time them to see the shortest time from entering to exiting. Last time it was 45 SECONDS. The average is usually twice that if there is a dealer ahead of me.☺
George and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #7

Thanks I will give that a try unfortunately in Greene County it’s hit or miss on the service.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:40 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Mohawk TN

Buxbait,
As a fellow Tennesseean who already has an Escape, I was surprised I had not heard of Mohawk, although I've driven the four-lane to Greeneville at least a hundred times back when I had court there.

Three of us couples with "classic" 21s were just up your way a few weeks ago at the King of the Wild Frontier gathering near Limestone, along with a several other new and classic Escapes, and most of us will be there again, next October.

If you haven't seen a 21', we'll be at Cumberland Mountain State Park over Thanksgiving week. Or check in with the owner in Jonesborough. The more you see, the better, in terms of firming up that decision on trailer length and build sheet choices.

Registering wasn't bad, as I mentioned above.

We simplified the payment method by just sending two personal checks and paid a small balance at pick up with a credit card. Others seem to know more about squeezing the last bit of good out of the exchange rate, by various methods that have been written about on this forum.

If you want to chat, you can probably look up our phone number online. There aren't very many with our name.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buxbait View Post
Not to intrude but I also live in Tennessee pretty close to the Knoxville area. I have been looking at these trailers for several years and just haven’t pulled the trigger. I’m in a position now to be able to order one but am nervous about making such a big purchase out the states. Did you have any issues registering it in Tennessee or picking it up? Thanks in advance.
It was a piece of cake. ETI sent all of the paperwork about 4 weeks ahead of our pick up date. Included was a title application from ETI. I did have to show what the trailer cost was in US dollars as all the papers from ETI was in Canadian. I checked conversion from an internet site, printed it and the license office accepted it for sales tax purposes. It was about a ten minute process and when it was complete, I walked out with trailer registered and a license plate. Went to my insurance office right after that and got it insured for our pick up date.
We had a cashiers check with us to pay the balance when we picked up "Here We Go Again". Be sure to take some extra cash along that day. Our cashiers check was a little short and we were able to pay the balance with cash. No problem after that. The trailer was transported across the border, we slapped on the license plate and we were off. All in all, pretty painless.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
At the DMV, they wanted me to convert every option separately to US dollars and since almost every option was on the build sheet, a big argument got started. They finally relented and let me use the total. What brilliance. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:36 AM   #11

I'm in NC, but I was able to get a license plate and title before pickup ( whoa ). I asked ETI for a US$ invoice/build sheet, and they sent that to me along with all the other paperwork. No problems at all. I even removed the Canadian $$$ version of the build sheet from the packet so as not to confuse them. Worked.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #12

Thanks for all the information. It definitely makes the decision easier. I’m going to contact the factory for a list of trailers in the area that are available to see and go from there. Definitely excited about getting the ball rolling just wished I’d done this earlier before the “trade war”.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
yup

WE finally picked up our E21C in mid June, in Phoenix (it was supposed to be April, but..the Beer Flu mess came. We bolted on our 'old' CASITA'S plate [which was still good thru MAY 31] , figuring it was better than NO plate and headed on home...camping and sight-seeing for 3 weeks along the way. A week later after we got home, I went to the local County DMV to register and pay the tax, to get a title and new plate. Stood in line for 45 minutes bks of the dang beer flu slow downs, and finally got to a window..the nice lady(NL) said..you must have yer wife here "bks she is on the papers"

I left and went to get her..we both went back, arriving at 1400..waited another 25 minutes in a line, finally got to a window..different NICE lady[NL]..and gave her a 3/4" THICK sheaf of papers..I had brought every piece of ETI paperwork we had. She glanced thru it. looked up and rolled her eyes and said.."this was made in CANADA??""Siiiigh"
(raising my voice a bit to be heard over the din and thru the dam ned covid plastic partitions they had put up) I POLITELY REPLIED YES MA'AM..IT WAS BUILT IN CANADA... SEE ALL THE PAPERS, imported INTO THE USA by THE FACTORY AND TRUCKED TO US IN PHOENIX, WHERE WE RECEIVED IT 3 WEEKS OR SO AGO: ANOTHER SIIIGH FROM NL AND THEN she grabbed the papers & STALKED OFF TO A COPIER. (Me now thinking..WE ARE MAKING PROGRESS).
She comes back after making what seemed to have been 30 copies..said all was ok and could I please give her a check for the state sales tax. I wrote a check, while she was filling out the registration papers and she handed my a shiny new license plate, & the registration and said we wd receive our TITLE in about 2 weeks in the mail. WE thanked NL and left.
This was 2 weeks ago. Friday we got a letter from the State Dept of Revenue telling us that the title wd be delayed until we sent in the "completely filled out" Declaration Form..Which the letter said I could see & print off
the form below at the URL of the Dept of Revenue.
I go to the desk top PC to get to the website of the Revenooers..went thru the site twice..No declaration form listed. So..
I call the Revenooers..three times..bks I was cut off a phone tree after being on hold a total of 30 minutes.
Finally I get thru to another NL tell her my story, read HER the letter sent BY HER Dept of Revenoo..and she says.."you gots ta sent in a declaration form"
and "be sure to send in a copy of the letter bks it have a bar code IDing yer case.." I asked why the NL at county said all was in order and she shot back:louder and curtly.."THIS IS THE STATE, COUNTY DON'T KNOW about this form".
OOPS, I HAD PI$TOFF A nl. I politely thanked her and hung up. Finally I looked thru the whole 3/4" file from ETI and selected 12 pieces of paper to go copy at a library (more wasted time) and I will send those 12 sheets IN tomorrow. I have no feaking idea if that INFO IS IN THE 12 SHEETS bks the NL had no frikkin idea what form was needed.
I await the next step of the story.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:50 AM   #14

Just wait until you receive the "tax bill" from the Department of Revenue in about two years! We paid title free and all of the appropriate taxes on our 2018 21' in September 2018 at the county offices. We received a letter in June from Department of Revenue that we owed taxes PLUS interest on an imported trailer brought into the US in 2018. I called them and explained that everything was paid in 2018. I was told it was up to me to prove that we had paid. I asked why they couldn't just go through their records and verify. Was told "we don't have access to those records". When I questioned that, I was told it doesn't work that way. So...... I had to send a copy of the title application, the actual vehicle registration and a copy of the cancelled check to PROVE that I had indeed paid everything. I FINALLY got a letter that showed everything was properly paid for and the case was closed. I have a copy of that letter with all of the other paperwork for the trailer in the files, just in case. My advice - keep a copy of every bit of paper handy because eventually, someone, somewhere will try to tell you that something wasn't completed.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:54 AM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
That is very odd, we had nothing like that happen when we registered ours. Title was received as promised, and no extra tax bills so far (4 years and counting)
Old 07-21-2020, 08:13 AM   #16

Depends

It seems to depend upon which NL you get..NL #1 told me to go get the wife so she could sign the title applic also. NL 2 looked at the records, sighed several times and made about 30 copies from the sheaf of papers. NL #3 said I needed another form, [which did not exist] She didn't know the # if said form and it was not on their online list of stooopid Gvt Forms..which is loooong. . NL#4 will probably send the gooner squad to arrest me for not wearing a mask while talking to her on the phone. My so far favorite NL was #3 who almost yelled.."Dis is da STATE, an' COUNTY doan know what form WE NEED.."

I bit my tongue and did NOT ask the rhetorical ?? which flew thru my head: "well, why not frikkin TELL COUNTY what frikkin FORMS y'all NEED?? Duh??
Old 07-21-2020, 08:16 AM   #17

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Hopefully you were wearing a mask when you typed that to me
Old 07-21-2020, 08:21 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Assuming you’re retired, just look at it as non-enjoyable time off of your remaining life. And sigh “Oh well”. Life goes on......for a while.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-21-2020, 08:53 AM   #19

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
Hopefully you were wearing a mask when you typed that to me
I'm a retired doc and believe there is something weird going on. Here is some info from another retired doc:
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2020/07/...ike-narrative/