Tennessee Registration Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2018, 06:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
Tennessee Registration Question

Our 21' (Here We Go Again) will be due on Nov. 2 and we will be picking it up on Nov. 5.
We will be receiving all the paperwork sometime before we head out and need some information from fellow owners in Tennessee.

Were you able to obtain a license plate before you picked up your trailer? If so, how difficult was the process?

If we understand correctly, the sale price listed is in Canadian dollars on all of the paperwork. Did you have any trouble having that figure converted into US dollars before you paid the state sales tax? What resource did you use to show the amount in US dollars?
We just wonder how difficult the process might be.

Thanks for any replies and assistance!

gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:17 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Your paperwork will include US payments information and you should also provide copies of your checks to prove what you paid in US funds.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:15 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
Four years ago, Tennessee registration was not too bad. With the packet in hand from ETI (plus an extra copy in case they needed to keep anything) I went to the county courthouse where I usually register cars, and emerged with a trailer license in about an hour.
As Jim mentioned, the current packet may include something showing U.S. dollars. Since mine did not, I anticipated the confusion and had printed a sheet from an online site. Bank of Canada had one and seemed convincing enough for the clerk, although a supervisor looked it up again. Today’s rate seems pretty good, so I’d print today’s in case it drops.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:34 AM   #4

Thanks for the information. Just want to be prepared when we go to the county clerk office.
gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:30 PM   #5

Trailer: None
Not to intrude but I also live in Tennessee pretty close to the Knoxville area. I have been looking at these trailers for several years and just haven’t pulled the trigger. I’m in a position now to be able to order one but am nervous about making such a big purchase out the states. Did you have any issues registering it in Tennessee or picking it up? Thanks in advance.
Buxbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 17 B "Essie Lou" Pulled by 2007 FJ
TN Tag Office VERY helpful

Suggest a "pre-visit" to local tag office to have some questions answered and give them time to research if not familiar with the issue.
In Washington County TN they are the best to deal with than any other state I have lived in.
For giggles, I time them to see the shortest time from entering to exiting. Last time it was 45 SECONDS. The average is usually twice that if there is a dealer ahead of me.☺

Cement is to concrete as flour is to bread.
George and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #7

Trailer: None
Thanks I will give that a try unfortunately in Greene County it’s hit or miss on the service.
Buxbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:40 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
Mohawk TN

Buxbait,
As a fellow Tennesseean who already has an Escape, I was surprised I had not heard of Mohawk, although I've driven the four-lane to Greeneville at least a hundred times back when I had court there.

Three of us couples with "classic" 21s were just up your way a few weeks ago at the King of the Wild Frontier gathering near Limestone, along with a several other new and classic Escapes, and most of us will be there again, next October.

If you haven't seen a 21', we'll be at Cumberland Mountain State Park over Thanksgiving week. Or check in with the owner in Jonesborough. The more you see, the better, in terms of firming up that decision on trailer length and build sheet choices.

Registering wasn't bad, as I mentioned above.

We simplified the payment method by just sending two personal checks and paid a small balance at pick up with a credit card. Others seem to know more about squeezing the last bit of good out of the exchange rate, by various methods that have been written about on this forum.

If you want to chat, you can probably look up our phone number online. There aren't very many with our name.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buxbait View Post
Not to intrude but I also live in Tennessee pretty close to the Knoxville area. I have been looking at these trailers for several years and just haven’t pulled the trigger. I’m in a position now to be able to order one but am nervous about making such a big purchase out the states. Did you have any issues registering it in Tennessee or picking it up? Thanks in advance.
It was a piece of cake. ETI sent all of the paperwork about 4 weeks ahead of our pick up date. Included was a title application from ETI. I did have to show what the trailer cost was in US dollars as all the papers from ETI was in Canadian. I checked conversion from an internet site, printed it and the license office accepted it for sales tax purposes. It was about a ten minute process and when it was complete, I walked out with trailer registered and a license plate. Went to my insurance office right after that and got it insured for our pick up date.
We had a cashiers check with us to pay the balance when we picked up "Here We Go Again". Be sure to take some extra cash along that day. Our cashiers check was a little short and we were able to pay the balance with cash. No problem after that. The trailer was transported across the border, we slapped on the license plate and we were off. All in all, pretty painless.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
At the DMV, they wanted me to convert every option separately to US dollars and since almost every option was on the build sheet, a big argument got started. They finally relented and let me use the total. What brilliance. Loren

Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote