Texas Registration - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #61

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yes, and add this to a long list of inconsistencies here in Texas. The trailer doesn't require a "safety inspection" by statute, but a VIN inspection.

Ah, but I found this changed from 2015 to 2019. Now it requires a VIN inspection by the county auto crimes task force (Form 68A) AND now a one time safety inspection on ALL imported trailers.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #62
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
Ah, but I found this changed from 2015 to 2019. Now it requires a VIN inspection by the county auto crimes task force (Form 68A) AND now a one time safety inspection on ALL imported trailers.
Yes, caused by a confused blending of their motor vehicle code with their non-motorozed vehicle code. It's been said many times but bears repeating - the only thing consistent about their process is that it's inconsistent. [emoji23]
Old 09-25-2019, 09:20 AM   #63

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
See
https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buyi...reign-vehicles

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:33 AM   #64

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Inconsistent is the word for it. The closest DMV to me is in Kingsville. I went in(Jul) expecting to have a difficult time and was out of there, plate in hand in about 15 min.

I had a stack of papers ETI sent me and all they wanted was the Bill of Sale, Mfg Origin statement and a bucket of money.

I was prepared with arguments for 'custom build', imported, etc... and didn't get to use any of them.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
Inconsistent is the word for it. The closest DMV to me is in Kingsville. I went in(Jul) expecting to have a difficult time and was out of there, plate in hand in about 15 min.

I had a stack of papers ETI sent me and all they wanted was the Bill of Sale, Mfg Origin statement and a bucket of money.

I was prepared with arguments for 'custom build', imported, etc... and didn't get to use any of them.

When I read your post earlier, I tried a similar approach three times all with different clerks. No amount of explanation could get them off the quick reference sheet they all were using. I gave up and compiled the forms along with the VIN inspection and Safety inspection and finally got my plate. You can only bang your head so long against the bureaucracy.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #66

Trailer: ready to purchase
David our 19 foot is ready in Chiliwack. Did you get a temporary travel permit before picking up your trailer? Also, any advice for documentation from Escape that will make all of this easier? We live in DFW area thanks
messengerphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:35 AM   #67

This is John. We got a 30 day temp tag. They will date it for the day you take delivery so you can take advantage of the full 30 days.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:47 AM   #68

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
This is John. We got a 30 day temp tag. They will date it for the day you take delivery so you can take advantage of the full 30 days.
Again, it all depends on who is running the counter that day. I tried to get a 30 day temp tag in Mont Belvieu ( other side of Houston from you) and was told no - they don't issue temp tags for trailers. I was told to present the paperwork from the seller if asked and no temp tag was necessary.

It all depends.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #69
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Again, it all depends on who is running the counter that day. I tried to get a 30 day temp tag in Mont Belvieu ( other side of Houston from you) and was told no - they don't issue temp tags for trailers. I was told to present the paperwork from the seller if asked and no temp tag was necessary.

It all depends.
Unless it's changed, there is no need to visit a tax office to get a temp tag. We did ours online, printed it out, and done. All that was needed was a VIN and a date effective. You could renew it also if needed. I purchased ours almost a month in advance of pickup, and made the effective date the day of pickup.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:34 AM   #70

Yea it changed from 2015 to 2019. I tried online first. Can only get it at the tax office.

Strange about being told no temp tag for a trailer. They issued it right away. They even asked me if I wanted a “one trip” instead. It’s a temp tag for a trailer that’s only good for 15 days.

And yes...I agree that every county and clerk are slightly different. [emoji19]
Old 10-07-2019, 05:47 PM   #71

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Did do pay Texas sales tax (6.25%) on the BASE price or the TOTAL price? The TOTAL price includes importation fees, tariff, tire levee, filled propane tanks, stuff bought at ETI store (sail switch, proflex, bearing kit...). Can't see paying tax on additional items. I do have a Build Sheet with Total USD but includes all the additional items (not itemized). Thinking about presenting the clerk the CAD Bill of Sale and protesting the additional items which are itemized. I have a CAD to US app on phone so we can figure out tax amount.
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #72

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Total price ......at least that’s what I had to pay taxes on grrrrrrrrr
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:56 PM   #73

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
Did do pay Texas sales tax (6.25%) on the BASE price or the TOTAL price? The TOTAL price includes importation fees, tariff, tire levee, filled propane tanks, stuff bought at ETI store (sail switch, proflex, bearing kit...). Can't see paying tax on additional items. I do have a Build Sheet with Total USD but includes all the additional items (not itemized). Thinking about presenting the clerk the CAD Bill of Sale and protesting the additional items which are itemized. I have a CAD to US app on phone so we can figure out tax amount.
A valid point! What have we to lose by giving it a shot? (I'll be doing just that right around Thanksgiving.)

Old 10-07-2019, 07:31 PM   #74

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Base price. Was told by tax clerk to only put down the base as accessories were not taxed.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:40 AM   #75

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Base price. Was told by tax clerk to only put down the base as accessories were not taxed.

I was also asked to provide a separate line on the invoice indicating “Base price in U.S. Funds”.

ETI was quick in emailing me an updated invoice.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #76

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
My Bill of Sale had the base price in US and all options but option prices were labeled 'Included'. The option prices were included in the total price.

The surcharge, tariff, etc were not on the sheet.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:24 PM   #77

Update: ETI provided me another Bill of Sale sheet with corrected price without the additional items that shouldn't be taxed. Good company to work with!
Old 10-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #78

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Update: ETI provided me another Bill of Sale sheet with corrected price without the additional items that shouldn't be taxed. Good company to work with!

Ab-So-Loot-Leeee!!!!

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:33 PM   #79

My experience with registration. Getting the VTR-68A was pretty straight forward other than dragging the trailer to the Sheriff's Dept in San Marcos so they could run a VIN check. Took approx 10min and done on Wednesday only. Registration (San Marcos): Got lucky (not!) and got a 'trainee' DMV clerk. Clerk never done an imported trailer, so a Supervisor got involved. I called before hand to make sure I had all the correct documentation (VTR68-A, Customs Form HS-7, Bill of Sale, MCO (Manufacturer Cert of Origin), 130-U). A new form that I had to fill out onsite was the VTR-141 (Trailer Verification Statement). Since my Bill of Sale only had 'Completion Date', which was beyond the 30 day registration window, they tried to charge me $89 late fee. The only form I had which showed I was within the 30 day window was the Custom Form CBP 7501, Line 3, 'Summary Date'. After explaining the 'Completion Date' is not the 'Pickup Date', they waived the late fees. Maybe ETI can add a line item on the Bill of Sale which shows Pickup Date. Glad to be done with it!
Old 11-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #80

Following Red Dog's lead, I asked ETI to provide an invoice with the base price in US dollars when I picked up the trailer. If you register in Harris County, you'll definitely need Form 68A completed by the police department, as all county branches of the tax office refer to a printout of requirements that include this as verification of your VIN number. I know, because hoping to get registered that day, I visited two offices. Suffice it to say that I'll now be in line at the police department between 9-9:30 AM Monday or risk waiting another week - which would put me beyond the 30-day window and incur a penalty for late registration. Taking cash or a certified check to the tax office will avoid the additional 2.5% charge imposed for processing a credit or debit card.

Loving my 17B!