Tipping delivery person - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
We all work hard. We should all be tipped.
Sure. When was the last time anyone tipped the sales clerk at a non-food retail store? When a police officer, firefighter, or paramedic assists you in an emergency, do you tip them? You go to a movie, concert, or trade show and someone checks your ticket at the door - do you tip them? You stay in a hotel and tip the housekeeping staff and (if there is one) the guy who carries your bags to the room... but do you tip the front desk staff? How about the all the behind-the-scenes maintenance staff that you don't see? You get your car serviced: any tips for the mechanic (oops - they're called "service technicians" now), service writer, service manager, or dealership receptionist? How about the hundreds of factory workers directly involved in making that car, or the thousands of people involved in designing it and running the company which built it - track 'em all down and press small bills into their palms after you close the purchase?

The vast majority of people work hard and have no chance of ever receiving a tip. That's okay, because they're paid to do those jobs. If they do a particularly good job (customer feedback is often important to recognize that), they get promotions and pay increases.

Tips are normal in food service at the table, and minimum wages are lower than for other jobs because of that. For anything else, it seems to me that a tip is only for exceptional service beyond the expectations of the transaction. Even in food service, if it's not at the table there's normally no tip - when I worked at McDonald's in high school taking tips (not that anyone ever offered one) was explicitly forbidden.

We had an RV transported, and the driver accommodated our travel schedule. He was paid fairly for the transportation, and we bought him dinner at the destination in appreciation for his extra time - he had to stop for dinner anyway.

Tips are usually reserved for the people that we directly interact with. How about just saying "thank you"... to everyone you deal with? A genuine expression of appreciation can really mean someone who has to deal with unappreciative and demanding people.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
It can be hard to know who to tip, but I try to keep it simple: tip those who rely on tips as a normal part of their income. There may be some rare cases where I'd tip a person not in this category (like the guy who delivered an Escape Trailer) as a show of gratitude, but I think buying him dinner or giving him an appropriate gift is just as good, and maybe better, because it's personalized.

Just because we all work hard doesnt mean we should all be tipped. I'm salaried, and tipping me would seem not only silly, but inappropriate. Now a nice gift in appreciation for my work, like say, a nice bottle of Single Malt? Absolutely!
Old 09-09-2015, 09:49 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have never tipped a driver, just a cow.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
A tip for everyone who has an Escape on order. Exchange rate is still over 30% send payments
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:03 PM   #25

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielyulkim View Post
I am going to get the 21 foot delivered to my home in a few days. Is it customary to tip the delivery man? If so, how much?
Well...it seems as though the jury went out and the jury has come back in and the verdict is...tip the delivery driver.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #26
GCS

Trailer: 1976 Aljo
What do you tip for driving across border ?
GCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
To me , the thanks, I appreciate it , in this case would be summed up with a comment and a tip something like. Have lunch on me or can I buy you lunch, you probably know a good place to eat. And if just cash, adequate for lunch in the area. But that's just me. That's what I usually do.
Iowa Dave.
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #28

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
A crisp $100 bill is a nice token of appreciation in my book.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
especially right after making one on your new printing machine....
Old 05-14-2016, 05:41 PM   #30

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
20 bucks for lunch and a beer. Or in our guys case a couple of gallons of ice cream from the creamery across the street from Bob's Burgers.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:33 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
For those having delivery from Dave, he likes Italian food and a restaurant that will allow him to park his big rig on the lot enable to go in and enjoy the food.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:52 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
20 bucks for lunch and a beer. Or in our guys case a couple of gallons of ice cream from the creamery across the street from Bob's Burgers.
It never even occurred to me to tip Dennis when picking up in Sumas.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote