Towing Unregistered - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #21

Re: Towing Unregistered

JC
Even if you plan to tow across the states unlicensed it might be a good idea to get a temporary transport tag/trip permit regardless of how short the duration might be. Here in Washington you can get it blank from the DMV and fill in the date once you pick up the trailer. I suspect the customs inspector at the border might have some reluctance to stamp your form if you don't have some sort of license in place when you cross. The inspector did seem pleased when I pointed out the tempory tag.

For that matter, simply having it in your rear window may get you clear across the country wthout incident regardless of the date on it. It's not that easy to read through the window tinting anyway and I doubt the average police officer is going to look that closely unless you're taking your half of the road out of the middle.

Apropos of crossing, when I crossed at Sumas last month I was through in 15 minutes at midday, the staff were courteous and professional, and the inspector that checked the vin on the trailer noted my Retired Army window sticker and made a point of thanking me for serving. After all of the horror stories one hears, that was a thoroughly gratifying experience.

Safe travels

Dave
Old 04-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #22
JC

Trailer: 2011 5.0

Here's the latest.
Verified once more by calling the main office in Lansing, no temporary registration available from Michigan. But, they suggested seeing if BC would temporary register it. Called the ICBC, Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, (seems insurance is their primary concern, but they also do license & registration as a side line). They can provide temporary insurance, probably 1, 5, or 30 days, with paperwork that gets displayed in the rear window. The official paperwork would probably satisfy any cop. It also seems in BC that registration is not needed for 6 months for a motor vehicle or trailer used for touring. I verified with Escape that this should be viable, and they said there would be an office within 10 minutes of them that could provide this.
Liz, you'll be there the day before us and can run interferance.
Jim
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300

When we moved to Washington from Wisconsin, we drove two cars each with a trailer without registration because Wisconsin doesn't register trailers below a certain weight. We had a boat trailer and a cargo trailer.
I would just check with my insurance company, make sure you have all they need and the coverage then forgetaboutit and have a good time. If anyone stops you, you can just say you are transporting it home from the factory. I think the cops will think, "There goes another poor soul from Michigan where they don't want to give him a registration." I think police are aware that other states have weird laws and give an out of stater a break.

If you REALLY want to be correct. Lease a licensed transport trailer and place your new trailer on it! LOL
Say, Michigan borders Canada, just travel in Canada until you can cross into Michigan.
Just kidding on both of these.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #24

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

Just got home with our wonderful new 19. Nebraska couldn't register it in advance of us bringing it through customs. So we drove it without any form of registration from April 12 to May 5, and were not stopped by the authorities anywhere in the many states we covered (Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Nebraska). Phew! Everybody seemed to think we were from Canada with that maple leaf on the spare tire cover, so maybe that was the charm. --Liz
Old 05-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #25

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD

Hi, thanks for the complement. Glad you made it home save and sound. Now you can relax and enjoy your new trailer.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #26
JC

Some 5,000 miles and 11 states after picking uo our 5.0, we finally got back home to Lake Orion, Michigan. Nobody stopped us. One California Highway Patrolman eyeballed us for a minute, probably saw that we were out of state, then took off. The Michigan officer that did the VIN verification was surprised that we weren't stopped. I guess trailers are just not worth the time for them.
JC
Old 05-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: JC...WELCOME home. Got any pic's. of your trip back I use www.shrinkpictures.com to resize my pic's. for the forum. You can add 2 per post under +additional options...
Great that you made it back with only a cursory eying from the CHiP. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvomaha
Just got home with our wonderful new 19. Nebraska couldn't register it in advance of us bringing it through customs. So we drove it without any form of registration from April 12 to May 5, and were not stopped by the authorities anywhere in the many states we covered (Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Nebraska). Phew! Everybody seemed to think we were from Canada with that maple leaf on the spare tire cover, so maybe that was the charm. --Liz
Did you have any trouble at the border without any plate?
Old 05-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #29

We had absolutely no trouble at the border with no plate. We just had Tammy's paperwork.

Our local registration office was suspicious about Tammy's paperwork, however, when we were home at last. They mentioned a signature that they wanted to be on the back of a certain piece of paper, questioned whether I was presenting photocopies instead of originals ("no!" said I), and said something about how none of the papers proved that Escape Trailer had turned the camper over to us. All I could say was, "I dunno! This is what she gave me." The credibility of gray hair and an honest face were all I had to offer. They then called somebody in our capital city (Lincoln) who subsequently, I was told, called Tammy in Canada to verify something-or-other. It took about 2 hours. Fortunately, I was still fresh off the vacation and would let NOTHING spoil that good feeling.

Liz
Old 05-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #30
JC

No problems at the border without a plate. Tammy's paperwork was fine. The Homeland Security guy was a little miffed that his word wasn't good enough for VIN verification, and that it required a Michigan officer's signature. The Michigan officer was surprised that without a plate, no one stopped us.
Alf, I'm attempting to attach a picture. We'll see if it works, you mighjt be pushing my limit. The trailer pulled very well. I wanted the hitch 2" forward of the axle, but they couldn't manage it, so 2" behind. Pin box fully extended. Plenty of clearance to go 90 degrees and tow with the tailgate down if I want. I'm amazed how well both truck and trailer did. No complaints at all about how it tows.
JC
Attached Thumbnails
Rig_.jpg  
Old 05-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: JC...Great to see your rig...and know that you're really happy with it. Posting pic's is easy as you can see. With an Escape 5.0 there are no limits!!! Love the blue graphics/ truck combo...and the water/sky backdrop isn't shabby either.
Hope you can make it over to Niagara Falls for Niagara Wine Escape Sept 14th.-16th. Info posted on the rallies threads. Looking forward to camping together. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander

Since we are three weeks from picking up The Lark, and couldn't justify an early trip to the Escape Rally, I went to the Minnesota DMV today with Tammy's paper work. We were able to get plates, pay the sales tax, and apply for the registration which will be sent in a couple of weeks. The only hitch was I had to say that I bought the trailer today instead of the 14th when it is complete. But since I sent the money, I guess that is accurate. The whole thing took about 15 minutes. The hardest part was converting from kilograms to lbs to get the gross vehicle weight. Some folks complain about government employees, but I find them to be very pleasant and efficient. After that, I wrote a note to the insurance company adding the trailer to our auto insurance. All the paperwork should be complete.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Sometimes ignorance is really bliss. Other than being early at the border and having to wait for someone to look at the paperwork (The American side), I had no problems. Further in California, I believe we have a 10 day window after acquisition to register a new vehicle. Other than admiring or curious looks at the "Suite Escape", there were no problems. I figured that I couldn't register something that I didn't have before I went, and I couldn't register her until I got home.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #34

That may be my approach....
Old 06-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA

FYI future Texas Escape owners,

You can pre-register your trailer before pickup if you are persitant with county clerks. We were sucessful getting our title and plates after challenging our county clerks with the correct state policies. We were told that we would first need to apply for a 5 or 25 day paper tag. Bring the trailer straight back, have it inspected at a state inspection station, then apply for permanant tags and a state title. Not so! I had them call Austin and with the documents Tammy sent was able to skip past addition fees and trouble. Because we prepaid for our 5.0 more than 30 days ago, we could have been charge a penalty but she waved it since we have not taken deliverly. It can be done and then you can travel back home at your lesure and remain worry free of being stopped.

See you out there somewhere/sometime.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #36

Here is some info, register your trailer out of state, in Maine, no sales tax, no inspection and cheap tags. http://staabagency.com/register-your-trailers
Seems the Escape may be exempt from having a title, so just pay your tags. I wonder what happens if later you need to sell without having ever obtaining a title? Anyone see any issues if you still have your original manufacturer's certificate of origin to sell with and no title?
Old 06-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008
Here is some info, register your trailer out of state, in Maine, no sales tax, no inspection and cheap tags. http://staabagency.com/register-your-trailers
Seems the Escape may be exempt from having a title, so just pay your tags. I wonder what happens if later you need to sell without having ever obtaining a title? Anyone see any issues if you still have your original manufacturer's certificate of origin to sell with and no title?
I recall reading somewhere that it's illegal to register your trailer anywhere besides the one state you claim as your primary residence. Full-timers have a decision to make in choosing the state of residence they claim.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #38

Yes, you are correct, I called that company and they will not register rv's, but trailers (non rv's, like tractor trailers) they will. Oh well, just a thought, remember tax avoidance is legal, tax evasion is not!!
Old 11-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
I just discovered a slightly different issue for us. We were able to register our 17B here in Vermont in anticipation of transporting it back here to Vermont from 1/5/15 to 2/15/14 or thereabouts. Trouble is, Vermont only issues a 15 day temp. inspection permit beginning today. Looks like we are going to travel with a registered trailer, but not inspected according to Vermont law. Think anyone besides Vermont authorities will care?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd choose to believe that the 15 days starts when you re-enter Vermont. That's what I'd choose to believe.