Towing Unregistered - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
JC

Trailer: 2011 5.0
Towing Unregistered

This is my first post, so bear with me. It will take awhile to get to the question. Been lurking for about a year (and it seems like I know a number of you fairly well). Looked at a Casita and a Scamp last spring, then saw Alf's 5.0. It wasn't a hard decision. Ordered our 5.0 in June, built in December, and we pick it up Friday April 13th. We live in Michigan, and after picking up the trailer will return directly, via Washington, Oregon, California, New Mexico, Texas, etc. About a 4 week, 4,500 mile return trip. Now, Michigan will not let us register and plate the trailer without the custom's stamp at the border, and having a Michigan officer verify the VIN. So, the entire return trip will be without registration and plate on the trailer. Michigan Secretary of State personnel had no suggestions to offer other than don't hang anything on the back because we could get in bigger trouble for that than having nothing. So now the question: Have any of you in the states had a similar situation when picking up, and did you ever get stopped for no plate?
(OK Alf, I finally posted.)
Thanks,
Jim
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: Towing Unregistered

Hi: JC... Feels better now doesn't it. The excitement is written all over your post!!! Seems strange in this cash strapped era that Mich. DOT. wouldn't offer a temp $$$$ permit for say 30-60 days.
Not withstanding Tammy will supply all the Doc's. and driving on a bill of sale should suffice until you meet up with that one citation short cop on a tight quota.
Do you have a boat trailer plate OOOPs that could generate more revenue for the Troopers!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #3

Trailer: none

I'm suffering from a similar (but less complex issue). My 19 will be delivered to me in May. I need to be able to park it legally on a public street for a few days and then tow it to my storage facility. My DMV will not let me register the trailer until I have the title in hand. My finance company wants to do the titling and that will take 4-6 weeks to process. So, what to do?

I will try to convince the DMV to let me register the trailer (after a safety inspection?) with the docs that Tammy sends me. AND, I'll try to convince the finance company to let me handle the titling and lien holder documentation. Otherwise, I'll have to tow it illegally and have to let it sit in the storage yard for weeks .... there goes May and June camping ...
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #4

We were able to get a temporary travel permit issued from CA.. I forgot how long it was good for, but it basically allows you to pick-up out a state and bring it back to register..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRockiesFan
I'm suffering from a similar (but less complex issue). My 19 will be delivered to me in May. I need to be able to park it legally on a public street for a few days and then tow it to my storage facility. My DMV will not let me register the trailer until I have the title in hand. My finance company wants to do the titling and that will take 4-6 weeks to process. So, what to do?

I will try to convince the DMV to let me register the trailer (after a safety inspection?) with the docs that Tammy sends me. AND, I'll try to convince the finance company to let me handle the titling and lien holder documentation. Otherwise, I'll have to tow it illegally and have to let it sit in the storage yard for weeks .... there goes May and June camping ...
The paperwork from Tammy worked for me to register & insure my trailer here in NY before I left to pick it up. I took a plate with me...
Old 04-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19

In TX I was able to get a 30 day temp tag with the certificate of origin doc that Tammy sent prior to my trailer being finished. This is the same temp tag as what we get when we buy a new car. So I would think you should be able to get something similar in your state.

Good luck,
Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
JC

Actually, Michigan does not offer temporary registration. We went to 2 different offices, one of which tried very hard to help us, and specifically asked about temporary registration. No go. There is no uniformity of process amoung the states. (Ask Tammy, and she'll tell you it's not even uniform within the state of Wisconsin.) My backup is to bring the plate from our pop-up and use it if we start to get hassled by the gendarmes.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold)

We also got the 30-day Texas permit that Steve mentioned. But the permit is only good in Texas. There is no reciprocity among the states. I guess that implies you should get a permit from each state you travel through. Displaying the permit on the trailer at least made us feel better, even if it was worthless until we entered Texas.

Marv
Old 04-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Actually, Michigan does not offer temporary registration. We went to 2 different offices, one of which tried very hard to help us, and specifically asked about temporary registration. No go. There is no uniformity of process amoung the states. (Ask Tammy, and she'll tell you it's not even uniform within the state of Wisconsin.) My backup is to bring the plate from our pop-up and use it if we start to get hassled by the gendarmes.
Hi: JC... My second guess is that the "Troopers" will be so dazzled by the good looks of the Escape 5.0 they won't even notice it's not plated. They're only interested in the big buck fines!!! : Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 2023 E21C

In Texas each county is different... I was able to take Tammy's paperwork and get title and registration before I ever left to pick up the trailer... I put the permanent plates on the trailer before I ever left Chilliwack.
2020 Australian Shepherd Mix - "Isabeau"
jaerikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I recommend you buy a couple bicycles and a bike carrier for the rear of the trailer.
If they do notice that you don't have a plate, you can always ride the bikes home.

baglo
Old 04-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
I recommend you buy a couple bicycles and a bike carrier for the rear of the trailer.
If they do notice that you don't have a plate, you can always ride the bikes home.

baglo
Hmmm.. or buy a ton of beer and if you get pulled over just start drinking...

Old 04-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #13

Just put your Texas trip permit in the back window and drive it home. The States are more interested in the tow vehicle being properly licensed. Enjoy your trip home.
Chuck
Old 04-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #14

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
We live in Michigan, and after picking up the trailer will return directly, via Washington, Oregon, California, New Mexico, Texas, etc. About a 4 week, 4,500 mile return trip. Now, Michigan will not let us register and plate the trailer without the custom's stamp at the border, and having a Michigan officer verify the VIN. So, the entire return trip will be without registration and plate on the trailer.
Jim, I cannot believe how similar your situation is to ours. We live in Nebraska and will pick up our 19 on April 12, traveling "directly", as you say, back through Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, and Colorado, on a 4-week trip. And all without being licensed. Nebraska cannot license us or register our Escape without the paperwork we will acquire at the border. I wrote Tammy about whether she will provide us with an "In Transit" sticker, which is the temporary solution I would expect, but she clearly didn't understand what I was asking about, so I guess the answer is "No." I wonder if we can make our own and tape it on the back of the trailer.

See you in the hoosegow. --Liz
Old 04-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Seems things are done differently south of the border. Here, I just need proof of ownership, and maybe insurance (I can't remember on this), and it is registered right away. No hassles at all. I know a good friend who bought a trailer in the US, and got plates for it here with no problems before heading down to pick it up.

Isn't bureaucratic BS a lot of fun. I do get to deal with it on a municipal level all the time with permits, inspections and the such.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

While, as I mentioned in a previous post, I didn't have a problem getting NY to register the trailer with Tammy's paperwork, I neglected to describe my first attempt.

Well ahead of time I went to the local NY DMV office an asked what the procedure should be for registering the trailer. With a straight face they told me to drive the trailer across the border, mail the paperwork to the Oswego, NY office, they would then determine what the fee would be, and mail the bill back to me, have me mail a check back to them & they would mail a plate to me. Probably would have taken a month or two!

I'm glad that after I got the paperwork from Tammy I played dumb & went to the office, handed them the pile of papers, and registered it. The only minor hassle was converting the weight from kg to lbs since the registration fee in NY is based on weight. They even used the Canadian price to calculate sales tax even though at the time they would have made more money if they had converted to what I actually paid in US dollars.

I guess my point is it might pay to attempt to register it after you get the paperwork. All they can tell you is no, and it might just work!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #17

Here in CA they needed to inspect the trailer prior to registering it.. But we were able to get a temp permit. It crazy that there's no way to get some kind of permit to bring it into the state..

Old 04-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #18

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD

Is it possible to get insurance on a trailer with out registering it first.? I think insurance would be important on a new trailer.I wouldn't go ten feet with out proper insurance and liability.You don't want Murphy's law to rear it's ugly head. : Just thinking out loud here.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #19

I had the trailer shipped to So Cal, so I didn't have the transit issues, but there was much confusion at the DMV office... small office and some round and round on the registration (no agreement on what paperwork was needed), but it got done.

I will say that hauling the unplated trailer back and forth from the storage lot did not raise any cop's eyebrows and they are "extra vigilant" in this area for motor vehicle infractions of any kind.
Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #20
JC

I had it insured as soon as the build was complete (Insurance companies are always happy to take your money). Didn't need a jet engine falling out of the sky and destroying it in the Escape yard without ever seeing it. I'll let you know if we get stopped at all.
Jim