USAA Financing Not Possible? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
USAA Financing Not Possible?

Bit of a bummer today. I had intended to use USAA to finance my loan but their software doesn't allow the loan to be processed if the manufacturer/dealer address is in Canada -- a problem that apparently several others on the forum have reported. Everything else lined up perfectly, but unless they have a US address (even a PO Box would work), the loan can't be finalized. Guess I'll have to go with another lender. Color me BUMMED.

Anyone have a good experience and a low rate with another lender who will write loans for a Canadian manufacturer? Feel free to share. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #2

Trailer: none
I was also disappointed with USAA not being willing to finance my Escape as it is from an "international" dealer (especially since they are more then happy to insure it).

I went with Essex Credit Corp. Decent loan rate & terms and Tammy has worked with them several times.
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Bank of America had the best rate when I was in the market a couple of years ago and had no problem with the Canadian transaction.
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We used Essex also . No problem .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Interesting policy by USAA. As a long time member this is the first negative I've heard about them. Great company otherwise. With enough Escape owners as USAA members one would hope they could change their policy. :-)
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:55 PM   #6
Site Team

Just got off the phone with USAA again. No go. They will not finance unless the address of the dealer is in the US, although as ColoRockiesFan pointed out, they'll be happy to insure it once it's here. Fat chance.

Anyway, thanks for the Essex referral. We are Costco members and they offer a discount, and use Essex. Looks like the loan is going to be a percentage point lower. All's well that ends well I guess. No USAA for us.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I have read some good reviews on Essex but we were going to check with Wells Fargo. I just talked to USAA last week and they told me they do not insure RVs but reinsure them through another company. I think she said Progressive but don't hold me to that. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
It is Progressive!
Old 01-02-2015, 04:16 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I have read some good reviews on Essex but we were going to check with Wells Fargo. I just talked to USAA last week and they told me they do not insure RVs but reinsure them through another company. I think she said Progressive but don't hold me to that. Loren
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
It is Progressive!
Thanks for the info. I didn't need a reason not to use them but now I have another one.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #10

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Although USAA partners with Progressive for RV's (Class A, B, & C), USAA will insure trailers. I had mine insured with them for almost a year until I realized they did not provide replacement cost insurance. AND, they could not tell me how they determined "fair market value" of the trailer when Escape is not listed in NADA (and which is one of the reasons they would not finance).

I went with another insurance company for my Escape. I still use USAA for just about everything else.
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I find it interesting how many companies in the U.S. trade on their "association" with the country and/or military.
Got nothing bad to say about them, but I think some policy holders are under the mistaken perception that they are special.
It's United Services Automobile Association and it's just another Fortune 500 company.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 2.32.40 PM.png  
Old 01-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRockiesFan View Post
Although USAA partners with Progressive for RV's (Class A, B, & C), USAA will insure trailers. I had mine insured with them for almost a year until I realized they did not provide replacement cost insurance. AND, they could not tell me how they determined "fair market value" of the trailer when Escape is not listed in NADA (and which is one of the reasons they would not finance).

I went with another insurance company for my Escape. I still use USAA for just about everything else.
We also went through Costco for Essex loan . We purchased full replacement value from Progessive and had it 's start date the day we picked up our trailer . We just renewed again in Nov . For full replacement and they have a program where is went down a little will continue for same coverage for 5 years . We did pay the whole year premium and again this year .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
This is good to know. I don't expect delivery till August, but the price of Canadian dollars looks very appealing right now. I might take a small note out. One post mentioned Wells Fargo, their rates are insane. I'd still insure through you current company, umbrellas are nice.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:16 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I find it interesting how many companies in the U.S. trade on their "association" with the country and/or military.
Got nothing bad to say about them, but I think some policy holders are under the mistaken perception that they are special.
It's United Services Automobile Association and it's just another Fortune 500 company.
USAA isn't trading on their association with the military, at least not like a lot of companies do. Up until just a few years ago, you couldn't join USAA unless you were a commissioned officer. They just recently opened up membership to any military member or military veteran regardless of rank. Because they traditionally offered membership only to the officer corp, they were very financially stable and passed on their prosperity in the form of very reasonable rates for credit and insurance. I think they still offer stellar service, despite my experience earlier today. Most USAA members have nothing but praise for the company, and its also no accident that almost the entire leadership team at USAA is former US Military.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:26 AM   #15

I think they've also opened up to family members of military, unless I'm confusing it with another heavily advertised insurance company.
In any event, they aren't a charity. They have shareholders to satisfy.

No mind. Up here we have companies that like to masquerade as government departments offering "services".
Old 01-03-2015, 12:37 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
I think they've also opened up to family members of military, unless I'm confusing it with another heavily advertised insurance company.
In any event, they aren't a charity. They have shareholders to satisfy.

No mind. Up here we have companies that like to masquerade as government departments offering "services".
Yes, they've always offered membership to the family members as well -- the big change was allowing lowly enlisted men (like I was) to join.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yes, they've always offered membership to the family members as well -- the big change was allowing lowly enlisted men (like I was) to join.
Sounds positively un-American.

Kinda like Costco. Making you buy a membership to purchase twice as much as you need at a price comparable to the same thing on sale at Safeway.
Off topic, sort of, my daughter bought a large tomato plant at Costco last spring. When it didn't do well, she threatened to take it back, since, apparently Costco takes anything back, even after you've used it for months. Somehow they can afford to do that.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:15 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Sounds positively un-American.

Kinda like Costco. Making you buy a membership to purchase twice as much as you need at a price comparable to the same thing on sale at Safeway.
Off topic, sort of, my daughter bought a large tomato plant at Costco last spring. When it didn't do well, she threatened to take it back, since, apparently Costco takes anything back, even after you've used it for months. Somehow they can afford to do that.
That's true -- Costco has a great return policy. We do shop there for bulk items, but not as much for everyday things. What I hate about them is once you really like a product, it often gets pulled. I'm wandering around the store like an idiot saying 'where is it'?

Speaking of Costco though, I like their arrangement with Essex for RV financing -- its going to save us several hundred dollars in miscellaneous fees.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:23 AM   #19

Which proves, in the end, that it pays to shop around.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:20 AM   #20

Trailer: 21' Escape
USAA does not have sharehoders. They are owned by their members.
floorpanel is offline   Reply With Quote