Used Buyers be Aware - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #41

Trailer: 17b
I'm probably going to make my fellow Americans mad, but it's generally true that many Americans think the dollar refers to their own currancy and nothing else. What you guys have is a loonie (yes, I know it's actually a dollar first, then loonie by popular name, and no, we didn't invent the term "dollar" though we think we did).

When my compatriots see "dollar," they think USD.

The exceptions are those who live in states bordering Canada or in areas snowbirds frequent. But even a lot of them think the U.S. is the only country with a dollar.

So, I think it's good to remind them they're dealing with a different currancy when looking at Escapes for sale in Canada.
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #42

Trailer: not yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally P View Post
Hi, all, I'm back. And have my own personal answer to 'buyer beware.' Yes, if you have all the time in the world, or think you do, wait. But life doesn't always go by the book. I had that brand new 21, then had lung cancer. Sold the 21, had surgery and chemo. Ordered a new 17, then worried about not being able to use it, so cancelled. Last month my 1 year CT was clear, and when Dave Okimoto's 17B came up for sale, I sure jumped on it! What is an exchange rate bobble in trade for a summer? Will be picking it up next week and taking it to Chilliwack for a solar retrofit. As Donna says, YMMV.

And through all this, I can't express my gratitude enough to Tammie for her understanding.
I remember when you got your 21 and then had to sell it. I'm so glad for you that you have gotten past that health hurdle and are out camping again! Thanks for sharing your success story with us.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:07 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
The favorable exchange rate is not only a good time buy, it's an excellent opportunity to add more stuff to the build sheet that one would normally pass on. Adding the solar package and inverter now seems to be with in reach. Decisions decisions!!
t-twnbob, Add that solar panel and inverter while your trailer is being built. I could almost bet that you will regret it later if you don't. Also, think resale value. As for the exchange rate, the young bucks asked the wise old trader what the market was going to do. He thought for a minute and then said, "Oh, it will fluctuate". Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:10 PM   #44

Trailer: not yet
Another way to put this topic:

How do current Escape owners feel about the U.S. dollar's surge causing their Escape to devalue?

I'd bet that most would say something like: I don't intend to sell soon, so why would I care?

Only those owners planning to sell would be feeling much of a pinch. The rest of the folks are possibly planning trips up to Canada.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:33 PM   #45

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Awful lot of angst here considering that a member pointed out the "obvious". If it's that obvious, it shouldn't be an issue. Nothing untoward.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:29 PM   #46

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It is unfortunate that two adjacent countries use the same name for their currencies, since different names would draw attention to what should be obvious.

I do see how there can be some initial confusion with prices on websites, because on many sites the country of origin is not obvious. Of course, long before a purchase is finalized, a buyer of a direct-from-factory product which is sold for pickup at the factory will realize what country that factory is in. The ETI website prominently features a maple leaf and "Proudly built in British Columbia, Canada"... but that's where the trailer are made, not necessarily sold. Just for a laugh look at the page of watches at made-in-italy.com - there is no mention of any country other than Italy (even on the About Us page), and the prices are in dollars (not euros). Whose dollars?

I suppose one could always put US or CA in front the of the dollar sign, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for every U.S. business to do that!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:15 AM   #47

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Time is not only money, but it's your life and memories you're waiting on. Every day is a gift, no matter your age and it's more precious the older we get. DON'T DELAY PLEASURE.

You can always make more money, you can not make more time!

I couldn't agree more .... my brother in law had a mastectomy this morning due to breast cancer ( yes 1% are men). He has always put off fun ... "cant afford it" but owns two houses.

Sigh.....
StarvingHyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:16 AM   #48
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
How do current Escape owners feel about the U.S. dollar's surge causing their Escape to devalue?
Personally, I don't think my trailer has less value.. to ME. In fact, I value it more since the day I picked it up. The places I've already been and the places I intend to go. Those are all priceless. I never intended to sell Ten Forward, it's not that kind of asset. I plan to use it and use it and use it until I can't GO anymore. Then it will become an estate issue.

So, while I know what you're truly asking... I think that's a mental issue.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #49

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
How do I feel about the issue, nothing. Rather I'd ask Leonard how does he feel when he drives a new car off the lot and it goes down $3k in value. What about your home devaluation over the past several years. How does one feel that upon getting home finding out the same item costs 1/3 less at a competing store? How many times have you made a super buy that your friends were envious of? It is a way of life, prices fluctuate, no impact on how one should feel.
Actually I see an increase in the value of our Escapes, due to the lower gas prices. There is now an 18 month backlog for Airstreams and they are making something like 50 units a week!! The economy is booming with the lower gas prices and consumers have a lot more cash in their pockets to spend. The other item is time, with a year wait for a new Escape people are willing to spend more on a used unit because they want it now, there is a pented up consumer demand. Adding in delivery costs is another add on item for new vs used. Anyone want to buy a custom made 21' trailer??
Old 02-13-2015, 09:31 AM   #50
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
We too wish your wife a healthy happy future . Been there too (twice ) , to know that Jim Bennett has 25 years cancer free is truly very inspiring !
I'll second that. It's been almost 32 years cancer free for me. Life is a precious gift, and part of the reason we are embarking on our 'Escape Adventure' is to make sure we live it.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #51

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'll second that. It's been almost 32 years cancer free for me. Life is a precious gift, and part of the reason we are embarking on our 'Escape Adventure' is to make sure we live it.
Go Robert!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #52

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Two years cancer free for me ....which is why I retired in August. Going to see the USA/Canada like I have wanted to do for a long time. Every day is another great day in paradise!
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #53

Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Two years cancer free for me ....which is why I retired in August. Going to see the USA/Canada like I have wanted to do for a long time. Every day is another great day in paradise!
Good for you MacMan.
mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #54

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
If I was looking to make a financial investment, I'd look to the stock market, rather than a fiberglass trailer. I'd probably lose my shorts, in either case.

The trailer is an investment towards my prefered retirement. It is worth what I paid for it, to me. I hope ETI made a nice profit on it, as well. The exchange rate is irrelevant to me. I'm planning on using the heck out of the trailer and possibly competing for the filthiest, most abused Escape, ever (the folks that took theirs to the Arctic Circle will be tough competition). If it has any value when I'm done with it, my daughters can deal with it.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #55

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Every day is another great day in paradise!
Just like my dad used to say "Any day above ground is a bonus". He also used to say "If you're not in bed by 10:00 you should go home".

Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #56

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Awesome !
Old 02-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #57

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
I'm planning on using the heck out of the trailer and possibly competing for the filthiest, most abused Escape, ever (the folks that took theirs to the Arctic Circle will be tough competition).
I hope you post pictures of your endeavors in this regard. That one of the dirty Escape is one of my favorite pictures.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:40 PM   #58

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I'm planning on using the heck out of the trailer and possibly competing for the filthiest, most abused Escape, ever (the folks that took theirs to the Arctic Circle will be tough competition).
Let the competition begin, though I do have 6 years on you. We rarely take footwear off to go inside, lots of towing on gravel roads with no real rock protection, the frame could sure use some touch up, it has only been polished a couple times in 6 years, no bottle cover any more, and so on, BUT we do keep it in top operating condition, and use it hard while enjoying our endeavours with it. We only hope to be able to get A LOT more time in with it into the future. For us, our trailer is just an implement to assist us in a greater goal, getting out there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #59

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
The trailer is an investment in beautiful trips and memories. And for anyone who has had a health scare, it is even more so. They say as we age these become the golden years although my 98 year old aunt says they are the rust years. I'm not going to get upset about the pluses and minuses of the exchange rate but hope enjoy the rewards of our working years. Even today my motto is work some and play some. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:46 PM   #60

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
...I'm planning on using the heck out of the trailer and possibly competing for the filthiest, most abused Escape, ever (the folks that took theirs to the Arctic Circle will be tough competition). If it has any value when I'm done with it, my daughters can deal with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Let the competition begin, though I do have 6 years on you. We rarely take footwear off to go inside, lots of towing on gravel roads with no real rock protection, the frame could sure use some touch up, it has only been polished a couple times in 6 years, no bottle cover any more, and so on, BUT we do keep it in top operating condition, and use it hard while enjoying our endeavours with it. We only hope to be able to get A LOT more time in with it into the future. For us, our trailer is just an implement to assist us in a greater goal, getting out there.
You guys must subscribe to the Hunter S. Thompson philosophy on life.
Quote:
Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride! ― Hunter S. Thompson
Maybe you should modify Thompson's quote a bit to fit your Escape philosophy? Possibly something like
Quote:
My Escape's destiny is not to be sold off with it's fiberglass shell in a shiny and well preserved condition, but rather it is to be dragged into the purchasers yard all mud spattered with a twisted frame, inoperable appliances and totally worn out, and with me shouting ‘Holy shit…that was fun!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price, wanted